• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DP needs your help

Done - always wondered how they paid the bills around here.:mrgreen:

It is unfortunate that I need to post this announcement but it is necessary if we want DP to continue. I've copied and updated a post from a little more than 3 years ago (the last time we were in this position):

DP was created 16 years ago and has seen a lot of growth in that time. We've grown from 150k posts in September 2007 to 1.5 million in October 2009 to more than 15.5 million posts as of today. DP has mostly been funded by donations from those in the community (that would be all of you). Donations have been down for a few months now (we've missed the monthly goal 11 of the past 12 months). The site owner had to add funds out of his pocket for this month as the extra funds we had in the Paypal account are all gone. DP needs your help if it is going to continue.

What DP is asking is for a handful of our users (we had more than 500 unique registered users visit the site just today) sign up to donate a little bit each month to keep DP up and running. 30 users who can donate $10 per month would cover the cost and put funds away for any future shortfalls. 20 users who could donate $10 per month and 20 who could donate $5 per month would reach the same amount.

It's not possible to please everyone and we know that. DP isn't perfect, but it is one of the largest political debate forums on the internet and we've been able to survive a lot longer than some of the now defunct forums where some of us came from previously. People keep coming back here day after day, not because DP isn't for them, but because it is for them. Lifelong friends have been made here, multiple relationships and at least one marriage than I know of happened from people meeting here. DP has given many of us an outlet to share our love of politics, our disgust of politicians, our love of sports, food and life. We want that to continue well beyond next month.

So I'm asking everyone who can to donate a little bit each month to DP to keep it going. We have our standard Silver, Gold and Platinum memberships which help us out as well, but what we're really looking for right now are monthly recurring donations. They are available in $2, $5, $10 and $20 amounts. I'll take a look at the permission settings for these in the next few days to see if we can make any changes to ensure that you get some perks for donating your hard earned money to support DP.

Thank you for your time in reading this announcement and please donate if you can.

https://www.debatepolitics.com/payments.php

I’ll see how panhandling goes tonight... ;)

There are only 2 people that can see the names through the Paypal information and I can assure you, neither of us would ever make any of this information public. We've been using Paypal for years now and there hasn't been a single issue. Paypal is designed to protect your financial information, it's the actual reason for it's existence.

You have voluntarily identified yourself as one of the two people which is fine thanks. Who is the other person?

I've been wanting to contribute yet I have valid reasons of privacy to have my name ID remain anonymous in the absolute. As has been noted in scrolling not everyone is honorable or decent.

Thank you and it's great to get your good news reports of the immediate response to your OP.

You have voluntarily identified yourself as one of the two people which is fine thanks. Who is the other person?

I've been wanting to contribute yet I have valid reasons of privacy to have my name ID remain anonymous in the absolute. As has been noted in scrolling not everyone is honorable or decent.

Thank you and it's great to get your good news reports of the immediate response to your OP.

The owner of DP, Schweddy aka Vague.

It is unfortunate that I need to post this announcement but it is necessary if we want DP to continue. ...................~
Just did an anonymous "once only", same as in the past.

My question being (seeing how I forget to keep track of when the relevant "coverage" period has elapsed) whether there's a possibility of DP sending me a "reminder" at the end of the given period.

For reasons totally unrelated here, I just don't like PayPal and I don't want to give them a standing monthly order. In fact I'd prefer not to use them at all but cannot find any other payment mode under the link given in your above.

Again, my dislike for them has nothing to do with DP or with any past payment to DP effected thru them (which went all right).

Just did an anonymous "once only", same as in the past.

My question being (seeing how I forget to keep track of when the relevant "coverage" period has elapsed) whether there's a possibility of DP sending me a "reminder" at the end of the given period.

For reasons totally unrelated here, I just don't like PayPal and I don't want to give them a standing monthly order. In fact I'd prefer not to use them at all but cannot find any other payment mode under the link given in your above.

Again, my dislike for them has nothing to do with DP or with any past payment to DP effected thru them (which went all right).
I'll look into this tonight. I've been consumed with running tests on XenForo all week. I think we're really close to being ready to purchase and run a test migration soon.

I have been in contact with my Russian handlers and they informed me that my expense account related to posting on DP would be tripled just so that I could mess with more people.

Hmmm...come to think of it, I may have to see if PayPal takes Rubles.
Kopecks you meant, surely?:2razz:

I'll look into this tonight. I've been consumed with running tests on XenForo all week. I think we're really close to being ready to purchase and run a test migration soon.
Good to hear!

Thank you for all you do to keep this site running. :)

'DP needs your help.'

Now that got me.

Done and Done.

The owner of DP, Schweddy aka Vague.

Thanks for being responsive.

There's nothing I know about the owner except the person is the owner for which I thank the person and that his people run the place.

My bottom line is that the proof is in the pudding that I should have valid concerns about my anonymity at DP. So I will have to pass with regret on this appeal, although as I'd said I've been wanting to provide some financial support for some time. It's just that, as I say, the proof is in the pudding not every single one is entirely professional while certain openly favored others remain dishonorable and unrestrained.

Nonetheless I do get a gratification by my membership of DP so I thank all you guys who put your valuable and dedicated resources into DP. I am confident your wits will continue to prevail thanks again.

There are only 2 people that can see the names through the Paypal information and I can assure you, neither of us would ever make any of this information public. We've been using Paypal for years now and there hasn't been a single issue. Paypal is designed to protect your financial information, it's the actual reason for it's existence.

With the diaspora of their tech agents due to the pandemic, dealing with PayPal has become very difficult & time consuming. For instance, getting answers to simple questions takes about several hours. And finding where to ask those questions can be very time consuming. And they seem to have an increase in technical glitches.

It is unfortunate that I need to post this announcement but it is necessary if we want DP to continue. I've copied and updated a post from a little more than 3 years ago (the last time we were in this position):

DP was created 16 years ago and has seen a lot of growth in that time. We've grown from 150k posts in September 2007 to 1.5 million in October 2009 to more than 15.5 million posts as of today. DP has mostly been funded by donations from those in the community (that would be all of you). Donations have been down for a few months now (we've missed the monthly goal 11 of the past 12 months). The site owner had to add funds out of his pocket for this month as the extra funds we had in the Paypal account are all gone. DP needs your help if it is going to continue.

What DP is asking is for a handful of our users (we had more than 500 unique registered users visit the site just today) sign up to donate a little bit each month to keep DP up and running. 30 users who can donate $10 per month would cover the cost and put funds away for any future shortfalls. 20 users who could donate $10 per month and 20 who could donate $5 per month would reach the same amount.

It's not possible to please everyone and we know that. DP isn't perfect, but it is one of the largest political debate forums on the internet and we've been able to survive a lot longer than some of the now defunct forums where some of us came from previously. People keep coming back here day after day, not because DP isn't for them, but because it is for them. Lifelong friends have been made here, multiple relationships and at least one marriage than I know of happened from people meeting here. DP has given many of us an outlet to share our love of politics, our disgust of politicians, our love of sports, food and life. We want that to continue well beyond next month.

So I'm asking everyone who can to donate a little bit each month to DP to keep it going. We have our standard Silver, Gold and Platinum memberships which help us out as well, but what we're really looking for right now are monthly recurring donations. They are available in $2, $5, $10 and $20 amounts. I'll take a look at the permission settings for these in the next few days to see if we can make any changes to ensure that you get some perks for donating your hard earned money to support DP.

Thank you for your time in reading this announcement and please donate if you can.

https://www.debatepolitics.com/payments.php

Done.

Am I messing up or is the only way to donate via PayPal?

Am I messing up or is the only way to donate via PayPal?
You can donate by mail via check or money order. You could send cash, but I don't advise that. If interested, send me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom