• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DP moving from vBulletin to xenForo

RedAkston

Master of Shenanigans
Administrator
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Due to the kindness of one of our posters who has agreed to cover the license fee, we have purchased xenForo. It has been installed in the background and we are importing a copy of the database right now. After testing is completed and we have ensured that everything is working correctly, we will migrate over to the new software. Testing will take at least a couple of weeks and we will need to run another import before going live to ensure that we have all of the data. Before we make the switch, "how to" tutorial threads will be created to help everyone get acquainted and familiar with the new software. In the meantime, we will continue as we have been with vB.

As with anything that one does, it's impossible to please everyone, but I think most will really like the new software and how easy it is to use. It will take a little adjustment period to figure out where everything is and get used to the new terminology (for example, PM's are called 'Conversations'), but this software does so much more than vB, it runs so much smoother than vB and it looks so much better than vB.

I'll post more in the coming weeks. If you see the website with a slow response or it is inaccessible, it's most likely due to an import or testing running in the background.

Due to the kindness of one of our posters who has agreed to cover the license fee, we have purchased xenForo. It has been installed in the background and we are importing a copy of the database right now. After testing is completed and we have ensured that everything is working correctly, we will migrate over to the new software. Testing will take at least a couple of weeks and we will need to run another import before going live to ensure that we have all of the data. Before we make the switch, "how to" tutorial threads will be created to help everyone get acquainted and familiar with the new software. In the meantime, we will continue as we have been with vB.

As with anything that one does, it's impossible to please everyone, but I think most will really like the new software and how easy it is to use. It will take a little adjustment period to figure out where everything is and get used to the new terminology (for example, PM's are called 'Conversations'), but this software does so much more than vB, it runs so much smoother than vB and it looks so much better than vB.

I'll post more in the coming weeks. If you see the website with a slow response or it is inaccessible, it's most likely due to an import or testing running in the background.

Due to the kindness of one of our posters who has agreed to cover the license fee,

Does this poster wish to remain anonymous?

Excellent!

VB4 was getting really long in the tooth and VB5 was....not all that great.

First of all just for myself, I’d like to say a couple of things.

I’d like to thank Red and anyone assisting him in what is probably quite a big task, he doesn’t get paid for any of this, yet continues to make all this possible.

Let me also thank whoever that posters was, was very kind of them and they have my gratitude and I think everyone else’s.

Let me also say though, I am excited by this change, I really am, but I can’t help feel a little sorrow for saying goodbye to vBulletin.

I started on WS 17 years ago and vBulletins general layout, design and features have been something I’ve looked at probably... Most days of my life?

I mean it wouldn’t be far off.

Sad to see the old girl go, but the only constant is change.

Here’s a salute and a toast to Red, The Staff, The Generous Poster and vBulletin, may she Rest In Peace.

giphy.gif

Anything with the initials XF has got to be good.

For the love of all things holy, please do not start off with that bright white background that is their default color.

I found this this morning while rooting around:

Red, thanks for all of your efforts and time spent under the hood. I have a question if I may.

vB uses BBCode for threads/posts. What is the hidden editing language of XF?

Red, thanks for all of your efforts and time spent under the hood. I have a question if I may.

vB uses BBCode for threads/posts. What is the hidden editing language of XF?

xF is written in the same language as vB - PHP. xF and vB both allow BB code to format posts.

Congrats and thanks, Red
Software updates are a bitch, system software updates are a BITCH, so system software replacements are a BITCH.

DP moving from vBulletin to xenForo

Many thanks to all those involved with this, and a big thanks to the anonymous donor! :applaud:2party:

I found this this morning while rooting around:

I haven't watched the entire video yet but we will have add-ons that this site doesn't have and they they may have add-ons that we don't. I plan on putting together at least a couple of videos based on our setup with our add-ons.

Thanks for posting this though as it will give everyone a little insight as to how xF works.

Many thanks to all those involved with this, and a big thanks to the anonymous donor! :applaud:2party:
Couldn't have said it better myself. Ditto! :thumbs:

I haven't watched the entire video yet but we will have add-ons that this site doesn't have and they they may have add-ons that we don't. I plan on putting together at least a couple of videos based on our setup with our add-ons.

Thanks for posting this though as it will give everyone a little insight as to how xF works.

I agree with another poster as to the white background, don’t want to break out the sun-glasses to participate!

xF is written in the same language as vB - PHP. xF and vB both allow BB code to format posts.

Thanks, Red, for all you do this , you know.....

is it more mobile friendly?

I was on another message board and went through a change. Got used to it eventually.

i hope it's okay for me to post this. here's a link to the xenForo company's own message board. do NOT expect DP to be exactly like that (i'm not involved so i wouldn't know anyway) but it's pretty normal to assume that each site would pick their own options/look/feel/etc. Red should delete this if it's inappropriate...

Board Message | XenForo community

i hope it's okay for me to post this. here's a link to the xenForo company's own message board. do NOT expect DP to be exactly like that (i'm not involved so i wouldn't know anyway) but it's pretty normal to assume that each site would pick their own options/look/feel/etc. Red should delete this if it's inappropriate...

Board Message | XenForo community
Ours will look somewhat similar. They have add-ons we don't and we will have add-ons they don't. I think most will be pleased with our final product.

Will we need to re register or "validate" under the new platform, or will everything be automatically transported across?

Ours will look somewhat similar. They have add-ons we don't and we will have add-ons they don't. I think most will be pleased with our final product.

nested posts/conversations?

Will we need to re register or "validate" under the new platform, or will everything be automatically transported across?

Everything should transfer over.

Back
Top Bottom