• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DP 3.0 Issues (Visual)

RedAkston

Master of Shenanigans
Administrator
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
What you see is the new default theme for Debate Politics. At the lower left corner, you will see a drop down menu where you can select alternate themes. Yes it is going to look different as it is a new package. Some will like it and some will not. This upgrade was necessary for multiple reasons. This was not change for the necessity of change, this was a change that was going to happen sooner or later.

Things will look a bit different and there are a lot of new features coming down the road that are going to be exciting. DP will have it's own Blogs section, in addition to a CMS side of DP where news articles can be posted. We will have the arcade back up in time as well.

If there is a theme you would like to see available, please PM me and we can discuss what you are looking for. We will do our best to accommodate as many as we can as far as theme choices that are made available to you.

Would like names to left of each post to be larger.
Would like thread titles and subforum names to be either larger or more distinctive.
Would like an iSPy button at top of forum.
Would like a Who's Online button at bottom of forum.
Would like the little "go to first unread post" icon in front of thread title to be larger.

Last edited:
I would like to see the "white" go away. It's so hard on the eyes in the main forum-looking for threads-- and in quoted replies. Is there any way to shade it?

http://www.debatepolitics.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

The Message Editor Interface: option appears to have no effect on the reply postbox. It is the same no matter which option I select.

Also, there appears to be no way to get a normal reply postbox. Everything seems to use the quickreply postbox no matter how I go about it.

Using firefox 3.6.3

I'm not seeing the same smilies as everyone else.
They're seeing a blue one; I'm seeing a yellow, messed up one.
Also, I can't change the skins.
It just stays the same, no matter which one I pick.

I would like to see the "white" go away. It's so hard on the eyes in the main forum-looking for threads-- and in quoted replies. Is there any way to shade it?

Are you using the "Old DP" theme (box is on lower left)

There's no white at all in that theme, other than when you're actually replying to a post.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

The Message Editor Interface: option appears to have no effect on the reply postbox. It is the same no matter which option I select.

Also, there appears to be no way to get a normal reply postbox. Everything seems to use the quickreply postbox no matter how I go about it.

Using firefox 3.6.3

If you click "go advanced" below the quick reply box, it will go to the regular reply box. Alternatively, you can double-click the quote button.

I'm hoping we switch back to the system where normal reply was the default.

I like this new quick reply box on the bottom. I'm using the old theme right now, and I'd like to see more separation where it says "Re: DP 3.0 Issues (Visual)" and the post. Along with the other suggestions, I think that shoud be good, plus getting the leans back.

Also, I don't think that right now there is any difference in font between mods and regular members, or at least it's not as stark a contrast as it was before.

Would like the green/red online/offline button to be larger.

Some changes I'd like to see

Underline and properly color links
Separate the post title from the post body (the way the sig is separated)
Make the "Go to first new post" button larger

Are you using the "Old DP" theme (box is on lower left)

There's no white at all in that theme, other than when you're actually replying to a post.

No, I'm using the DP 3.0. I will go ahead and swich back to the old view but I'm still wondering if the white is going to stay white or can it go shaded with the 3.0 skin?

Would like the green/red online/offline button to be larger.
It's not Just the Green dot I mentioned previous...
EVERYTHING in the ID Box has been Shrunk. EVERYTHING.
the sig under your handle 'pro-homosexual bigot'
'Veteran'
ALL ARE Shrunk relative to the box and page size.
The whole font (and graphic scale) is OFF.... as it is virtually everywhere on the board.
Not just too small, but Poor Relative sizes for reading.
I previously elucidated more, but it's so large a problem-- that it's probably not fixable without Choosing a Completely Different VB Format.
Or we've made some poor choices or Very poor manipulation.

I vote for immediate search for 4.0.
OR
look at PoliticalForum:
Middle East - Political Forum
Very readable using....

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Template-Modifikationen durch TMS

vBCredits v1.3 ©2007 by Darkwaltz4
Advertisement System V2.1 By Branden
Copyright ©2000 - 2010, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd

Is there a reason their Version 3.7 can be Very clear and ours can't?
I doubt it.

Also having Problems with the quote/reply box.. my cursor is hopping around vertically from line to line.

Last edited:
Missy - I'm not sure, though I'd agree with you. White in general = bad.

EVERYTHING in the ID Boix has been Shrunk. EVERYTHING.
'Veteran'
ALL ARE Shrunk relative to the box and page size.
The whole font scale is OFF.... as it is virtually everywhere on the board.
Not just too small, but Poor Relativer sizes for reading.
I previously elucidated more, but it's so large a problem-- that it's ptrobably not fixable without Choosing a Completely Different VB Formet

I think it's actually quite easy to fix font sizes behind the scenes.

EVERYTHING in the ID Box has been Shrunk. EVERYTHING.
'Veteran'

I was not aware you had mentioned it earlier. The only problems I personally have is with the name and the online/offline dot being smaller, which I have been commenting on actually for a couple days.

I would like to see all the little icons (facebook, twitter, etc) at the bottom of each post go away or at least be optional for the user to have them displayed or not.

I have no idea what a furl is and I'm never gonna use those icons. They're throwing off the way I see all of the reply options. Upstairs the mulitquote and (sometimes) the reply with quote are squished in-between posts.

The basement layout is great because there's no icons to throw things out of whack.

Missy - I'm not sure, though I'd agree with you. White in general = bad.

I think it's actually quite easy to fix font sizes behind the scenes.

AS Pointed I using using PoliticalForum.com using VB 3.7, it's definitely 'Fixable', or replaceable.

Alas, except for Redress noticing the little green dot--- [Instead of STILL!] the whole Box that contained it, And the whole Board's relative fonts being OFF... NO ONE starting Noticing it until I posted it. Then many others chimed in who just signed back on after the down time.

The problem was/is No Sense of Scale/Common sense as to readability; apparently Unnoticed before outside comment.

I again point to PF as in my last above, which has VB 3.7 but not this bizarre scaling problem.
Or other problems like needlessly posting the Time and date of an OP AT ALL rather than just the OP's name Under the OP Title which is Much Bolder than what's under it.
The problems are so many-- surely there must be another better format at VB to start with/Choose from.
-

Last edited:
Can you put some blank spaces between the thread name and where the post begins.

I'm not seeing the same smilies as everyone else.
They're seeing a blue one; I'm seeing a yellow, messed up one.
Also, I can't change the skins.
It just stays the same, no matter which one I pick.

Bumped, because I'm having the same problem.
Specifically, the :confused: smilie. Oddly enough, most of the others look the same.
The skins change for me, but not by much.

Bumped, because I'm having the same problem.
Specifically, the :confused: smilie. Oddly enough, most of the others look the same.
The skins change for me, but not by much.

I didn't think it was changing between the old DP and the 3.0 but it was. I think my eyes were just strained from looking at so much white tonight.....In the Old DP skin reply to a message and you'll see the white reply box come up...white like 3.0. Compare it to the quote box and there's some shade in the old DP skin afterall.

AS Pointed I using using PoliticalForum.com using VB 3.7, it's definitely 'Fixable', or replaceable.

Alas, except for Redress noticing the little green dot--- [Instead of STILL!] the whole Box that contained it, And the whole Board's relative fonts being OFF... NO ONE starting Noticing it until I posted it. Then many others chimed in who just signed back on after the down time.

The problem was/is No Sense of Scale/Common sense as to readability; apparently Unnoticed before outside comment.

I again point to PF as in my last above, which has VB 3.7 but not this bizarre scaling problem.
Or other problems like needlessly posting the Time and date of an OP AT ALL rather than just the OP's name Under the OP Title which is Much Bolder than what's under it.
The problems are so many-- surely there must be another better format at VB to start with/Choose from.
-

I'm still not sure what you mean when you say "scaling problem." The only thing that I've noticed is that the text in the user box is smaller than it used to be. That is easily fixable, and everything else looks perfectly normal (font size wise).

Is it showing up differently for you? Can you post a pic of it?

Would like names to left of each post to be larger.
Would like thread titles and subforum names to be either larger or more distinctive.
Would like an iSPy button at top of forum.
Would like a Who's Online button at bottom of forum.
Would like the little "go to first unread post" icon in front of thread title to be larger.

iSpy back under quick links
usernames much larger now
font in postbit (under avatar) larger

mbig said:
VERYTHING in the ID Box has been Shrunk.
I increased the font, let me know if that looks better.

Keep those ideas coming. :) :)

I think that screenshots would help to illustrate some of the problems people are having

In line with what I erroneously mentioned on the technical thread, is there a way that we can have threads that we're subscribed to be highlighted on the "new posts" page?

I think that screenshots would help to illustrate some of the problems people are having

I hope they are not major issues. :(
Either way, we will get them fixed if we can.

Back
Top Bottom