• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dozens of U.S. Cities Board the Bike-Sharing Bandwagon.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Do you like to go Bicycling? Bike Riding?

What do you think of these Bike Sharing Programs? More and more communities are getting into these. Tax Payer funded.....Right? Here in Chicago.....they just decided to give City Workers a discount. Whereas people here pay like 75 dollars to be in this program. Now the City workers will get a discount and pay like only 51 dollars. Already a Citizens Watch group is sounding off. Saying why should city workers get a break. Tourists don't get a break nor do residents, unless they are seniors or something.
hmmm.gif
Wonder what other scams Pols and city workers can use with these?

At the start of 2013, the United States was home to 22 modern public bike-sharing programs. By spring 2014, that number will likely double as a flurry of cities joins the more than 500 bike-sharing communities worldwide. (Read more about bike sharing around the globe here.) With the expansions of current programs and new openings in larger markets like New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, the nationwide fleet of shared bikes is poised to quadruple in the next couple of years, from nearly 9,000 to above 36,000. And with a growing list of American communities exploring the possibility of setting up bike shares, this number is expected to continue to climb.

update113_2007_2014.PNG

People are fond of quipping that nothing good comes out of Washington, but many of the American cities launching bike-sharing programs got turned on to the idea of bikes-as-transit by watching the nation’s capital. Capital Bikeshare began operation in September of 2010, replacing a smaller short-lived program that started in 2008 but was never expansive enough to be successful. (In 2007, Tulsa, Oklahoma, was actually first in the country to open an automated bike-share system, with a couple dozen bikes at three solar-powered stations.) During its reign as the largest bike-sharing program in the United States, Capital Bikeshare has been enormously popular among residents and visitors alike, who together have logged more than 4 million rides. Now with more than 1,800 bright red bicycles stationed at 200 locking docks within DC and the northern Virginia communities of Arlington and Alexandria, Capital Bikeshare soon will expand into neighboring Montgomery County, Maryland. The total fleet is expected to reach 3,700 bikes at more than 300 stations by the end of 2013.

update113_existing.PNG

As in many of the programs, people can sign up for a short-term or an annual membership with a credit card online or in person at a station kiosk. They then can unlock a bicycle and return it to any station within the system. All rides under 30 minutes are free, after which escalating fees kick in, encouraging people to make short trips and to keep more bikes available for other riders.

update113_large_programs.PNG

Bike shares in Chicago and San Francisco will also be operated by Alta. Chicago’s program, named Divvy, is planning to have 300 stations docking 3,000 bikes by the end of August 2013, hoping to grow to 400 stations and 4,000 bikes in 2014. Meanwhile the city already claims the most bike parking in the country and is expanding its bikeways to span 645 miles, bringing paths and trails to within a half-mile ride of all residents. Mayor Rahm Emanuel explains that his “vision is to make Chicago the most bike-friendly city in the United States,” attracting energetic tech workers from historically bike-friendly areas like Seattle.

The U.S. Conference of Mayors, representing more than 1,300 cities across the country, noted at its 2012 meeting that “communities that have invested in pedestrian and bicycle projects have benefited from improved quality of life, a healthier population, greater local real estate values, more local travel choices, and reduced air pollution.” The group passed a resolution “in support of alternative modes of transportation, such as bikesharing programs, as a means to increase transportation mobility and mode choice.” Along with these benefits, bike shares can bring the freedom, convenience, and joy of cycling to people who may not have ridden a bike since childhood. As programs mature and new ones are added, bike-sharing could become a standard feature of the urban habitat, a must-have for any forward-thinking community......snip~

Plan B Updates - 113: Dozens of U.S. Cities Board the Bike-Sharing Bandwagon | EPI

I'm not sure why it needs to be government funded. If its such a great idea why not let some enterprising folks manage it and profit from it.

If you ran a bike rental shop in one of these cities how would you feel about the City and its billions being put behind a subsidized program that basically puts you out of business?

In my home town the police officers union wanted, in their negotiations, to have us put in a "gym" for them to use. Our little town had one public gym and a high school gym. We cut a deal with the high school, paid them a little money and gave the officers access to it 24x7 and they were all beefed because they didn't have their own. We said working out with the high school kids isn't such a bad thing for the city and stuck to it. They went to the private gym who threatened to file a suit against us for giving away equal services and the city attorney suggested we settle by - purchasing the cops memberships at the public gym or building their own. Stupid crap - but apparently the legal precedent was based on us paying the school instead of the private entity.

The one in Toronto is bankrupt and the bleeding heart liberals are trying to get the city to take it over and its millions in debt and subsidize its existence going forward as part of our "public transit" offerings. There's never a terrible idea that liberals aren't dying to through good money at.

Tourists? Those people were made to be taxed/surcharged!

I approve of the concept, especially if one can just leave the bike in a public place after using it. To work, it may be necessary to make it sufficiently widespread that there is no incentive for theft.

I'm not sure why it needs to be government funded.
1. If the people are fine with government funding, then that's a good enough reason.

2. It might be a good source of revenue for cities.

I live in NYC. I don't mind the bike-sharing program, and don't have a problem using tax payer funds to pay for it; the costs may be offset by gains in other areas, less crowded subways and streets, shorter commutes, more commuting options, less pollution, etc. If the costs are not offset by gains to the community at large, then obviously it is an inefficient program and should be cancelled. NYC is still working out the kinks at the moment.

It does annoy me that bicyclists in this city think they can blow through stop lights and crosswalks and ride on sidewalks and pedestrians have to just get out of the way, however. They should have to follow the same rules as cars.

People feel entitled to free food, free health insurance, free retirement, free education, a free phone, free housing, so why not a free bike? Who cares if they put some evil capitalist that tried to do it and make a profit out of business.

The one in Toronto is bankrupt and the bleeding heart liberals are trying to get the city to take it over and its millions in debt and subsidize its existence going forward as part of our "public transit" offerings. There's never a terrible idea that liberals aren't dying to through good money at.

Funny I didn't see the need for a hand out bike program in the constitution anywhere? I hope those who try to run bike rental shops and other privately owned / funded services in the city file massive law suits and make the people who "wanted it" pay for them going out of business.

1. If the people are fine with government funding, then that's a good enough reason.

2. It might be a good source of revenue for cities.

Funny I didn't see the need for a hand out bike program in the constitution anywhere? I hope those who try to run bike rental shops and other privately owned / funded services in the city file massive law suits and make the people who "wanted it" pay for them going out of business.
:shock:

Okay then, LOL.

People feel entitled to free food, free health insurance, free retirement, free education, a free phone, free housing, so why not a free bike? Who cares if they put some evil capitalist that tried to do it and make a profit out of business.

Well, at least people that get dressed up for a night on the town wont be out riding a bike.....so my idea for starting a green business and keeping the younger generation from getting fat will still work too. :lol:

th

Plus it will help the community without giving city workers a discount. :2razz:

Giving city workers a discount encourages them to become fitter, therefore better able to work harder and take less sick time, giving the taxpayers a better service.

They should realize that if a private business can't make a penny off it and is blowing millions, the government taking over will turn that into tens of millions in losses in no time flat.

Giving city workers a discount encourages them to become fitter, therefore better able to work harder and take less sick time, giving the taxpayers a better service.

Heya Skipper :2wave: .....So you think that City workers should be given a Discount? Over that of everybody else?

Well we do have lots of dead beat college students that don't want to repay the debt for the money they borrowed for school!

Well, at least people that get dressed up for a night on the town wont be out riding a bike.....so my idea for starting a green business and keeping the younger generation from getting fat will still work too. :lol:

th

Plus it will help the community without giving city workers a discount. :2razz:

Heya Skipper :2wave: .....So you think that City workers should be given a Discount? Over that of everybody else?

How about nurses getting fast-tracked for healthcare so they get back to their posts fitter faster to improve service to the patient? Same idea.
If the city workers are cycling, they're not in their cars or on public transport, clogging the arteries of the city. They're also fitter and less likely to be taking sickies, providing a better service to the taxpayer. win win win.

Funny, because what you are advocating sounds a lot like corporate entitlement to me.

There is no fundamental right (or any kind of right, for that matter) to make a profit. Are you saying the government must subjugate the welfare of the public so that one small business can make a profit for itself? I would not call a capitalist evil, but with that kind of position, I can understand where it comes from.

How about nurses getting fast-tracked for healthcare so they get back to their posts fitter faster to improve service to the patient? Same idea.
If the city workers are cycling, they're not in their cars or on public transport, clogging the arteries of the city. They're also fitter and less likely to be taking sickies, providing a better service to the taxpayer. win win win.

Well what about the Nurses that were let go for refusing to take flu shots.....they didn't want to leave their posts. But they were forced to. Also.....what other perks do City workers already enjoy?

Govt. staying out of business is now some how corporate welfare? Yeah tell that to the people running a small bike shop competing with Wal Mart and trying to make a little extra renting some bikes - then "govt" comes along and puts them out of business and stopping that is some how "corporate entitlement" well guess what - welcome to FREE AMERICA if you don't like it Cuba is taking refugees feel free to get it all by govt there.

Funny, because what you are advocating sounds a lot like corporate entitlement to me.

There is no fundamental right (or any kind of right, for that matter) to make a profit. Are you saying the government must subjugate the welfare of the public so that one small business can make a profit for itself? I would not call a capitalist evil, but with that kind of position, I can understand where it comes from.

Well what about the Nurses that were let go for refusing to take flu shots.....they didn't want to leave their posts. But they were forced to. Also.....what other perks do City workers already enjoy?

I've no idea what individuals remuneration packages might contain, I'm talking general principles.

The one in Montreal (apparently one of the best in the world) I believe is private and very profitable they can work you just need to do it right. Toronto is not exactly a bike city whereas Montreal is.

They should realize that if a private business can't make a penny off it and is blowing millions, the government taking over will turn that into tens of millions in losses in no time flat.

Unless you are the LCBO.

Govt. staying out of business is now some how corporate welfare? Yeah tell that to the people running a small bike shop competing with Wal Mart and trying to make a little extra renting some bikes - then "govt" comes along and puts them out of business and stopping that is some how "corporate entitlement" well guess what - welcome to FREE AMERICA if you don't like it Cuba is taking refugees feel free to get it all by govt there.
It is corporate entitlement to expect the government to place the profit of a corporation over the interests of the public at large. Should the government also disband the military and police since by offering those services they are likely putting private, for-profit soldiers and policeman out of work? Silliness.

Unless you are the LCBO.

When did private business ever get a chance to sell alcohol in Ontario? The LCBO is very profitable - we love our booze - but who's to say it wouldn't increase profits exponentially if they got away from government bureaucratic malaise?

When did private business ever get a chance to sell alcohol in Ontario? The LCBO is very profitable - we love our booze - but who's to say it wouldn't increase profits exponentially if they got away from government bureaucratic malaise?

Well government kind of stimulates the business if it was private union and multiple companies didn't have unions a strike threat would not drive the sales like they did earlier this year. They also sell absolutely any kind of alcohol they want at any price they want and people just buy it. It's a profit making machine for the government.

Back
Top Bottom