• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dozens of GOP delegates launch new push to halt Donald Trump

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...dcf74e-3491-11e6-8758-d58e76e11b12_story.html

Dozens of Republican convention delegates are hatching a new plan to block Donald Trump at this summer’s party meetings, in what has become the most organized effort so far to stop the businessman from becoming the GOP nominee.

The delegates are angered by Trump’s recent comments on gun control, his racial attacks on a federal judge and his sinking poll numbers. They are convinced that Trump is an insufficiently conservative candidate and believe they will find enough like-minded Republicans within the next month to change party rules and allow delegates to vote for whomever they want, regardless of who won their state caucus or primary.

If the delegates have changed their minds then so be it. Let's not have any talk about "rigged" if the delegates are cut loose and nominate someone else. On the other hand, maybe Trump is saying things that the people want to hear. I suspect so. If that's the case the delegates will vote to keep him, and let's hear no more about "NeverTrump".

Let's remember that the delegates are ordinary folks, not lobbyists or machine politicians.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...dcf74e-3491-11e6-8758-d58e76e11b12_story.html

If the delegates have changed their minds then so be it. Let's not have any talk about "rigged" if the delegates are cut loose and nominate someone else. On the other hand, maybe Trump is saying things that the people want to hear. I suspect so. If that's the case the delegates will vote to keep him, and let's hear no more about "NeverTrump".

Let's remember that the delegates are ordinary folks, not lobbyists or machine politicians.

I would change one word and one word only in your entire OP - instead of "people", put "rank-and-file Republicans". And I strongly agree with your closing sentence - all too often we forget that delegates (and politicians too) are thinking and feeling human beings, most of whom really do want to do what they believe is the right thing, what they believe is best for the nation...

...and that most conflicts arise only when the "right things" and "what is best" in the minds of two different individuals simply don't mesh.

As optimistic as I want to be about this, sadly I think nothing will happen. The GOP is stuck with Trump. I hope the country isn't.

As optimistic as I want to be about this, sadly I think nothing will happen. The GOP is stuck with Trump. I hope the country isn't.

I agree. What option does the GOP even have anymore? They pretty much have to give Trump the nomination at this point.

I agree. What option does the GOP even have anymore? They pretty much have to give Trump the nomination at this point.

The Democratic Party has shown the Republicans the way. The nomination process does not have to be democratic.

Back
Top Bottom