• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dow wipes out gains under Trump’s presidency

Objective Voice

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
From the linked CNBC.com article:

*The Dow’s drop pushed the 30-stock index below the level where it closed on Jan. 19, 2017, the day before Trump took office.

*The sell-off may prove a tough blow to Trump, who has used the Dow as a proxy for the success of his economic agenda.

*Trump tweeted on Dec. 23 that the Dow was up 55% since his election and promised — less than three months before the market entered a bear market — that “the best is yet to come.”

I've been following the DOW in earnest since last week and saw this coming. We haven't hit bottom yet, however. The shorts are reaching down to the 18000 range. If this COVID-19 scare gets any worse, you can bet they'll hit the benchmark before too long.

Pres. Trump has to be going ballistic over this especially with the Fed rate being near zero (EQ) and nothing seems to be changing investor's minds.

*The Dow’s drop pushed the 30-stock index below the level where it closed on Jan. 19, 2017, the day before Trump took office.

*The sell-off may prove a tough blow to Trump, who has used the Dow as a proxy for the success of his economic agenda.

*Trump tweeted on Dec. 23 that the Dow was up 55% since his election and promised — less than three months before the market entered a bear market — that “the best is yet to come.”

I've been following the DOW in earnest since last week and saw this coming. We haven't hit bottom yet, however. The shorts are reaching down to the 18000 range. If this COVID-19 scare gets any worse, you can bet they'll hit the benchmark before too long.

Pres. Trump has to be going ballistic over this especially with the Fed rate being near zero (EQ) and nothing seems to be changing investor's minds.

I don’t think Trump is even concerned about this right now.

Right now he’s effectively managing the crisis at hand, once the virus is managed the markets will explode back.

No one except the most vehement Trump opponents will hold a market crash against him due to the Chinese Wubonic Kung Flu Plague, because you can’t show any example except maybe South Korea of a country that responded more effectively and I think as the disease begins to wane in 2-4 weeks the focus is going to shift to China because China is now responsible for like 4 pandemics and the reaction internationally is probably going to be much more pronounced. In fact if anything Chinese skeptic leaders like Trump and Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil will actually be seen as prophets of the need to seriously cut China down to size

and.....???

Right now he’s effectively managing the crisis at hand, once the virus is managed the markets will explode back.

No one except the most vehement Trump opponents will hold a market crash against him due to the Chinese Wubonic Kung Flu Plague, because you can’t show any example except maybe South Korea of a country that responded more effectively and I think as the disease begins to wane in 2-4 weeks the focus is going to shift to China because China is now responsible for like 4 pandemics and the reaction internationally is probably going to be much more pronounced. In fact if anything Chinese skeptic leaders like Trump and Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil will actually be seen as prophets of the need to seriously cut China down to size

it just goes to show that you should put all your eggs in 1 baskets and that there needs to be investment into other manufacturing countries besides china.
this will happen again. every few years china seems to release a plague on the world and we go through the same thing.

China has already reopened for business.

There are bread lines in the United States. No one has confidence in this administration right now, the markets are no different.

February 28

Ok, so a few thousand get a bad cold.

March 11

If he ordered this back in February you would’ve been hounding him for bringing the economy to a standstill over the cold.

I feel it is perfectly acceptable to let a virus as benign as covid spread for the sake of the economy

March 18

No one except the most vehement Trump opponents will hold a market crash against him due to the Chinese Wubonic Kung Flu Plague

China has already reopened for business.

Ok.... so what?

That doesn’t mean anything in relation to my point.

China has unleashed plague number 4 in 20 years on the world. It’s time for a serious discussion about international cooperation aimed at coercing political reform in China. We need to make them a giant North Korea if they don’t acede to demands like

1) properly regulating hygiene at food markets
2) signing a treaty allowing full and open access to outside medical observers to their country
3) substantial political reform to include multiparty elections and elimination of non-emergency censorship

Kinda sucks, I was hoping the bottom would be around 20,000 for the dow, now not sure what will happen.

There are bread lines in the United States. No one has confidence in this administration right now, the markets are no different.

No, there are no breadlines in America.

Thanks, Baghdad Bob. Keep us posted on that bad cold that tipped us into a depression.

We’re not in a depression, merely a recession. These are different things.

You cannot show a bread line that exists because of the virus.

Ok.... so what?

That doesn’t mean anything in relation to my point.

China has unleashed plague number 4 in 20 years on the world. It’s time for a serious discussion about international cooperation aimed at coercing political reform in China. We need to make them a giant North Korea if they don’t acede to demands like

1) properly regulating hygiene at food markets
2) signing a treaty allowing full and open access to outside medical observers to their country
3) substantial political reform to include multiparty elections and elimination of non-emergency censorship

We don't know how the virus came into being. Sometimes stuff just happens.

We don't know how the virus came into being. Sometimes stuff just happens.

We don’t know because China purposefully suppressed information about it for months.

How it came into being really doesn’t matter. We know enough, SARS, H1N1, various Avian Flu scares, this is all coming out of China. That’s not a coincidence. This needs to be addressed

I was reading about people who’ve visited these markets, they’re filthy, with animals of different species piled on top of each other, they slaughter animals on site, sometimes using the same knives to slaughter 4 to 5 different SPECIES with no sanitation.

And virtually all epidemics and scares except Ebola have come from this environment. I say it’s time to force the Chicoms to admit responsibility and open up to outside observation once this is over, and if not we will impose sanctions tariffs and travel bans on their citizens and we need to get Europe and Latin America on board

Last edited:

In a week Fox News is going to try to brand Covid-19 the "totally not Trump's fault" virus.

In a week Fox News is going to try to brand Covid-19 the "totally not Trump's fault" virus.

It’s not. That would be true branding

I would definitely go with that. Absolving oneself of all responsibility for everything bad is the hallmark of leadership.

Just about every damned Trump supporter stated, Trump policies created a massive rise in the stock markets.

His 1st domestic crisis, and a massive face plant by Trump and the Admin

Trump pooched C19 response

More than half do not think he is doing a good job on C19 - That will cost him come Nov

Trumps is coming out with a new book

The Art of the Steal

I would definitely go with that. Absolving oneself of all responsibility for everything bad is the hallmark of leadership.

Trump has no real responsibility here. You cannot show any way he acted that would’ve been both legal and sufficient in the early stages. What is happening now is unprecedented in the memory of anyone alive today. There’s no examples of any western governments either in Europe or Latin America where this was handled better then the US.

Taiwan and Singapore also handled Corona Virus better than Trump. Europe admittedly is handling it just as badly as Trump, but that's hardly a bragging point.

Taiwan and Singapore also handled Corona Virus better than Trump. Europe admittedly is handling it just as badly as Trump, but that's hardly a bragging point.
Europe largely handled it far worse then Trump, France, Italy, and Spain took no action at all until last week. The US was taking action and monitoring in January

I don't play the market anymore, thankfully, but IMO the house of cards is in slow motion collapse.

Europe largely handled it far worse then Trump, France, Italy, and Spain took no action at all until last week. The US was taking action and monitoring in January

Trump put out a travel advisory in January. He also banned some travel from China to the US. Then he sat back and did nothing. If he had spent the intervening time ramping up tests and gathering supplies I would have been impressed. He didn't do that. He squandered the time he bought with his travel ban and called the Democrats concern about the situation a hoax. There was no monitoring. Nobody was tested until late February and even then healthcare workers at the nursing home where people were dying couldn't get tested.

Back
Top Bottom