• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dow races to new record

reinoe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Dow races to new record - Jun. 1, 2017

The Dow popped 136 points to 21,144 on Thursday, landing at its first record close since March 1. The S&P 500 and Nasdaq also finished at all-time highs.

I thought pulling out of the Paris Accords would single-handedly destroy and permanently cripple the American economy! What happened? Why is it that the real world never seems to line of with liberal hyperbolic talking points. America just keeps on winning under Trump. I know I'm not tired of winning and liberals don't seem to be tired of losing!

I thought pulling out of the Paris Accords would single-handedly destroy and permanently cripple the American economy! What happened? Why is it that the real world never seems to line of with liberal hyperbolic talking points. America just keeps on winning under Trump. I know I'm not tired of winning and liberals don't seem to be tired of losing!

Only the far left is freaking out.

Investment is skyrocketing, the unemployment rate is down to 4.3%, and the economy is firming up very nicely. Confidence is restored.

I know I've had to hire two positions this quarter, and I've had to bid for qualified folks. The pool is pretty dried up, which is good, but is costing me money!

Two years ago, I had a stack of resumes a foot high no matter what job was posted. Now, I'm using headhunters.

Errr.... No, lots of companies are unhappy with this too.

ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillip, Adobe, Apple, Facebook, Gap, Google, HP, Ingersoll Rand, Intel, Mars, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, PG&E, Salesforce, Schneider Electric, Tiffany, Unilever, and dozens more openly pushed to stick to the Paris Agreement.

The markets are merely assuming that today's jobs report isn't an indicator of a long-term trend.

Investment is skyrocketing
According to whom?

the unemployment rate is down to 4.3%
Erk?

50,000 fewer jobs were created than expected. LFPR dropped to 62.7%, knocking off some recent gains. Wages are flat. It's still a gain, which is good, but it's not a great report.

the economy is firming up very nicely. Confidence is restored.
The economy is in the same condition it was 6 months ago.

Confidence has actually dropped slightly in the past few months. Unsurprisingly, there's a partisan split; Republicans think things are improving, Democrats think things are getting worse.

I know I've had to hire two positions this quarter, and I've had to bid for qualified folks. The pool is pretty dried up, which is good, but is costing me money!

Two years ago, I had a stack of resumes a foot high no matter what job was posted. Now, I'm using headhunters.
...yes, that happens after 80 months of job growth. It's a result of years of economic progress, almost all of which happened under the previous administration.

The DOW going up yesterday was about one thing above all else...the jobs numbers.

The jobs report was lousy and because of that, the chances of a Fed rate hike (which Wall Street is TERRIFIED of) is far less next month.

THAT is why the DOW went up...little to do with climate change.

The fact that the dollar tanked just as the jobs report was released (8:30 a.m.) proves that Wall Street was firmly fixed on the jobs numbers...not some possible, distant economic impact from the climate accord pullout.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/DXY:CUR

Last edited:
The DOW going up yesterday was about one thing above all else...the jobs numbers.

The jobs report was lousy and because of that, the chances of a Fed rate hike (which Wall Street is TERRIFIED of) is far less next month.

THAT is why the DOW went up...little to do with climate change.

The fact that the dollar tanked just as the jobs report was released (8:30 a.m.) proves that Wall Street was firmly fixed on the jobs numbers...not some possible, distant economic impact from the climate accord pullout.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/DXY:CUR

It's adorable to see the DNC talking points being sent out. Let me guess: no matter what happens under Trump's administration, it will always be bad.

It's adorable to see the DNC talking points being sent out. Let me guess: no matter what happens under Trump's administration, it will always be bad.

A - your attack is ad hominem. You ignore the facts and try and attack the presenter. :roll:

B - I have no party affiliation...I despise them both. So no idea what the 'DNC' part is about. I put down Obama's jobs numbers as well.

C - so long as Trump embraces the Fed's present direction (after attacking them for it during the election - rightly - and then flip flopping once he took office), protectionism and could care less about fiscal responsibility...yup, the economy will continue to sputter, imo.

ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillip, Adobe, Apple, Facebook, Gap, Google, HP, Ingersoll Rand, Intel, Mars, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, PG&E, Salesforce, Schneider Electric, Tiffany, Unilever, and dozens more openly pushed to stick to the Paris Agreement.

Of course they are. You realize that regulations always work to the benefit of the big guys, right? You know that, right? You can't possibly not know that.

Of course they are. You realize that regulations always work to the benefit of the big guys, right? You know that, right? You can't possibly not know that.
He may know that down deep where one generally hides truth from themselves, buried where it will not conflict with his wall of cherry plucked psuedo factoids.

I will give him that over many of his lesser bloviating comrades...he at least throws up, pun intended, some many factoids, however much they are misconstrued.

Investment is skyrocketing, the unemployment rate is down to 4.3%, and the economy is firming up very nicely. Confidence is restored.

And so it goes.

When the economy is improving, it gets very difficult to find qualified applicants.

When the economy slows, over qualified folks apply down just to find a job.

Good luck on your search, though. I hope you find the right people.

I have a high regard for business owners.

The markets are merely assuming that today's jobs report isn't an indicator of a long-term trend.

According to whom?

Erk?

50,000 fewer jobs were created than expected. LFPR dropped to 62.7%, knocking off some recent gains. Wages are flat. It's still a gain, which is good, but it's not a great report.

The economy is in the same condition it was 6 months ago.

Confidence has actually dropped slightly in the past few months. Unsurprisingly, there's a partisan split; Republicans think things are improving, Democrats think things are getting worse.

...yes, that happens after 80 months of job growth. It's a result of years of economic progress, almost all of which happened under the previous administration.

There were 2 jobs reports. One came from ADP tracking payrolls.

Once came from the government's survey of people.

ADP said there were a quarter million jobs added. The Government survey said that the increase was only 135K or so.

https://www.adpemploymentreport.com/

https://www.adpemploymentreport.com/common-legacy/docs/ADP-NER-Methodology-Exec-Summary.pdf

https://www.bls.gov/ncs/methodology.htm

[

According to whom?

ADP said there were a quarter million jobs added. The Government survey said that the increase was only 135K or so.

https://www.adpemploymentreport.com/common-legacy/docs/ADP-NER-Methodology-Exec-Summary.pdf

The market is at or near an all time high. When the bottom falls out, and it will our resident Trump sodomites will be blaming it on Obama.

Bet the Park Model on it.

According to whom?

The market is at or near an all time high. When the bottom falls out, and it will our resident Trump sodomites will be blaming it on Obama.

[

According to whom?

Are you basing this prediction on the "experts" who predicted a crash if Trump were to be elected?

Back
Top Bottom