• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dow plunges more than 650 points as President Trump blames Fed

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/dow...ts-lower-treasury-secretary/story?id=59997548

The Dow Jones Industrial Average continued plummeting Monday -- in a history-making session -- after U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin shocked investors worldwide over the weekend by tweeting that he had spoken unprompted to the CEOs of the six largest U.S. banks to ensure they were liquid. It was the worst Christmas Eve trading session in U.S. history, experts said.

The Dow ended the day a dramatic 653 points lower at 21,792 in an abbreviated trading session ahead of the Christmas holiday. That's a decrease of 2.9 percent, adding to last week's fall of 6.8 percent.
===============================
All Trump wants for Christmas is the chance to fire the Fed chair.

Merry Christmas, America! :doh

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u...s-eve-bounce-for-battered-equities-2018-12-24

Dow skids to end down 2.9%; S&P 500 on cusp of bear market

U.S. stock indexes booked their worst trading session on the eve of Christmas in history in a holiday-shortened session, putting the S&P 500 on the brink of the 20% decline from a recent peak that is commonly considered a bear market.

Wall Street trading on the New York Stock Exchange closed at 1 p.m. Eastern Time, on Christmas Eve and will be closed on Tuesday for the holiday.
===========================================
Trump can stop beating his chest with claims of how well the market is doing. Merry Christmas!

Send Thank-you card to Pelosi and Schumer.

Biggest Christmas Eve sell-off , EVAH!

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/dow...ts-lower-treasury-secretary/story?id=59997548

The Dow Jones Industrial Average continued plummeting Monday -- in a history-making session -- after U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin shocked investors worldwide over the weekend by tweeting that he had spoken unprompted to the CEOs of the six largest U.S. banks to ensure they were liquid. It was the worst Christmas Eve trading session in U.S. history, experts said.

The Dow ended the day a dramatic 653 points lower at 21,792 in an abbreviated trading session ahead of the Christmas holiday. That's a decrease of 2.9 percent, adding to last week's fall of 6.8 percent.

The S&P is down nearly 19% since this Tweet:

DvM5u8MWwAIX4Af.jpg:small

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u...s-eve-bounce-for-battered-equities-2018-12-24

Dow skids to end down 2.9%; S&P 500 on cusp of bear market

U.S. stock indexes booked their worst trading session on the eve of Christmas in history in a holiday-shortened session, putting the S&P 500 on the brink of the 20% decline from a recent peak that is commonly considered a bear market.

Wall Street trading on the New York Stock Exchange closed at 1 p.m. Eastern Time, on Christmas Eve and will be closed on Tuesday for the holiday.
===========================================
Trump can stop beating his chest with claims of how well the market is doing. Merry Christmas!
I hate to say it, or maybe I don't, but I get the feeling the left wing ecosphere is reveling in the market declines - they don't give a crap about what ordinary people are suffering because of the drop, just that they have something to bitch at Trump about.

Trump's panicked, unhinged tweet this morning might have exacerbated the series of cryptic events over the weekend. We can now qualify how much the market dislikes chaos.

Oh come on now!!!

Everyone knows that the falling stock market is all Clinton/Obama's fault acting through the Bilderburgs and the Gnomes of Zurich in furtherance of the Deep State Conspiracy to turn the US into an IslamoCommie dictatorship.

I hate to say it, or maybe I don't, but I get the feeling the left wing ecosphere is reveling in the market declines - they don't give a crap about what ordinary people are suffering because of the drop, just that they have something to bitch at Trump about.

I'm only reveling in the path of chaos & disruption Trump is leaving behind him up right up to his defeat at the polls in 2020.

You trump loving Right Wingers ready to defend this idiot to the end it appears....Are you going to blame Hillary next?

The S&P is down nearly 19% since this Tweet:

DvM5u8MWwAIX4Af.jpg:small
And you're adrift in orgasmic delight, screw all the people this affects just as long as you have something to toss at Trump. Pitiful.

And you're adrift in orgasmic delight, screw all the people this affects just as long as you have something to toss at Trump. Pitiful.

Your guy trump owns this......Best you man up and accept it

And you think that is the reason the market is dropping?

Mnuchin’s calls from Cabo, making sure all the fire extinguishers were charged up didn’t help! Also Janet Yellin’s parents are at fault because she was so short......Imagine Trump appoints a department head and after a short time they suck......rinse, repeat!

MERRY CHRISTMAS up the @ Mentor-on-the-Lake. :2wave:

Too Funny....trump owns this stock market plunge...
Why did it only occur AFTER Dems took the House? Just as in 2016 When Trump won and had control in Senate and House kicked off a booming market, investors know the Dems primary goal is to dismantle as much of his success as possible. Trump can't write tax laws or spending bills, only the dem-controlled House can do that and smart investors KNOW what that's gonna do.

I don't believe either has a desire to fire Powell like Trump does.
LOL, the Powell story is a fake news campaign from the Dem Propaganda ministry.

And you think that is the reason the market is dropping?

As of five minutes ago, the annual rate of return (using the DJIA) in the stock market was 5.98% (simple interest rates). At compound interest rates it's lower.

The DJIA is now back to (roughly) where it was in September of 2017.

I disagree. This is personal. Mr Manic-depressive is costing me money, lots of money.

NEWSFLASH: The "left" doesn't get to decide if markets go up or down. What we are witnessing is exactly what the "left" feared -- that we installed an incompetent leader who has no idea what he's doing, makes decisions based upon personal ego and personal profit, and drives those who DO know something away.

This is the headline at CNN Money:
[h=3]The Dow plummets after Trump's tweet ripping the Fed and Mnuchin's bid to calm investors fails[/h]

Back
Top Bottom