• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Door-to-Door Salesman: Why be a jerkoff?

Fiddytree

Neocon Elitist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
During my time back home this summer, it seems as though this house is constantly being plagued by a species of irritating pests: the door-to-door salesman. I try to be polite, and if they so shall insist upon quickly rambling about whatever product they are selling without letting the other person holding the door open get a word in-I let them for a time, before trying to let them know that we are not interested. They come multiple times a day.

Today, I received a greeting from a young guy (probably 18-20) who had a shaved head, backpack, and a cleaning bottle at his right-side. When he asked questions, he did so a little too quietly and a little too quickly for me to understand at the first go. He proceeded to ask me if I remembered his company from last year. I certainly did not. Told him so. He asked who does the primary cleaning in the house, to which I replied, my family does it.

The sales pitch was to hand me a brochure with a number of common household cleaners and an alternative product for some smaller price. He proceeded to tell me that they are offering non-toxic alternatives. He then asked me what was hardest for me to clean, and it was at about that time that I tried to tell him that we were likely not interested in any products. He then asked me "why?", and I said, we are fine with what we have. He then asked me "You like your toxic cleaners?", and I said, "yeah". He then took the brochure and paused for two seconds and said to me sarcastically, "well, enjoy your toxic cleaners, I guess", and he walks backwards...proceeds to our garage, a few seconds later picks up his backpack and walks back to my view on to the next house.

I was amazed at how much of a little douchebag he was.

Last edited:
Why engage a salesperson who comes to your door? I'm a believer that we should ANSWER the door because there's some small chance that a person is ringing your doorbell to 'case the joint' and see if someone's home. But after I answer, I let them get out their first words, then say, "Yeah, sorry, I don't buy anything sold door-to-door. I'm on the phone, so I have to go." Then I just close the door. It makes me feel good because I'm not rude, and I don't find myself defending my "I don't want it" excuses.

I deal with Salesman, Jehovas witnesses, Telemarketers and any other little bugger that comes up to my door to waste my time with this simple, yet effective phrase.

PISS OFF

:mrgreen:

During my time back home this summer, it seems as though this house is constantly being plagued by a species of irritating pests: the door-to-door salesman. I try to be polite, and if they so shall insist upon quickly rambling about whatever product they are selling without letting the other person holding the door open get a word in-I let them for a time, before trying to let them know that we are not interested. They come multiple times a day.

Today, I received a greeting from a young guy (probably 18-20) who had a shaved head, backpack, and a cleaning bottle at his right-side. When he asked questions, he did so a little too quietly and a little too quickly for me to understand at the first go. He proceeded to ask me if I remembered his company from last year. I certainly did not. Told him so. He asked who does the primary cleaning in the house, to which I replied, my family does it.

The sales pitch was to hand me a brochure with a number of common household cleaners and an alternative product for some smaller price. He proceeded to tell me that they are offering non-toxic alternatives. He then asked me what was hardest for me to clean, and it was at about that time that I tried to tell him that we were likely not interested in any products. He then asked me "why?", and I said, we are fine with what we have. He then asked me "You like your toxic cleaners?", and I said, "yeah". He then took the brochure and paused for two seconds and said to me sarcastically, "well, enjoy your toxic cleaners, I guess", and he walks backwards...proceeds to our garage, a few seconds later picks up his backpack and walks back to my view on to the next house.

I was amazed at how much of a little douchebag he was.

Salesmen are trained, when they're trained at all, to take "no" as an expression of resistance rather than denial, and to then probe for the cause and "overcome the resistance". When you say no, they want to know why, so that they can then say other things that will cause your "no" to crumble and become a "yes".

How persistent they are taught to be depends on the company; how persistent they actually are depends on the individual. Some have the attitude that you owe them a sale, and can be quite pissy if you cut off their patter. However, you will run into this sort of thing very frequently if you engage them at all.

It is better to cut them off short the instant you realize it is a sales pitch, say "Not intrested," and shut the door firmly. To do otherwise is to invite them to try their fast-talk patter on you and attempt to slither snakelike past your "no" and get you to buy anyway. Lots of the poor buggers are on straight commission and if they don't sell they don't eat.

(I tried my hand at cold-call sales a couple of decades ago, but soon found that it was not at all to my taste. Or talents.)

He then asked me "why?", and I said, we are fine with what we have. He then asked me "You like your toxic cleaners?", and I said, "yeah". He then took the brochure and paused for two seconds and said to me sarcastically, "well, enjoy your toxic cleaners, I guess

What a cute exchange! That made me go 'awe'

"you like your toxic cleaners?"

A key point about hiring salesmen: get the gullible ding-dongs who believe your claims, they're better at convincing other people because they get their hearts behind it.

I've lived here for almost 6 years - I'm polite sometimes, but not all the time. Sometimes i discuss the product. Sometimes I dismiss with a 'good luck!' and other time I tell them to "don't even bother coming up to my door, I do not want what you're selling"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom