• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Doomsday warnings of US apocalypse gain ground

Bingo.

Why is it that those who claim that "government is the problem, not the solution," are so damn adament about being in control of the government?
Gee, I dunno, maybe so they could start getting rid of some of that said government?

Why doesn't the article mention that those 545 people were put in power by the other 235 million? I guess it's simply easier to blame 545 than the 235 million who put them there. People get the government they vote for.

Oh, but it does:

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 235 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts - of incompetence and irresponsibility. -- Snip -- Those 545 people and they alone are responsible. They and they alone have the power. They and they alone should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses - provided they have the gumption to manage their own employees.

I'll pass on responding to C&P propaganda. Thanks anyway.

Well, how interesting. Propaganda? One definition: "ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause." Whose cause does it further? Whose cause does it damage? Please advise how this article, written in 1985, represents propaganda. Further, are you saying it isn't true?

Why is it that those who claim that "government is the problem, not the solution," are so damn adament about being in control of the government?

!!!!! I've saved this to my desktop for future use in my signature line. This has got to be the best line I've read yet. Thanks, Uncola!! :2wave:

Gee, I dunno, maybe so they could start getting rid of some of that said government?

Of course, every time we elect them they proceed to do precisely the opposite...

Also, the OP's article writer has a funny definition of "apocalypse." Global thermonuclear war is an apocalypse. Financial/economic depression is not.

Of course, every time we elect them they proceed to do precisely the opposite...
I wasn't referring to Republicans or Democrats ...

Well thats what happens when you spend money like its ****ing water. Whether it be perpetual war or domestic out of control spending but in our case its both.

So, what are your suggestions to fix it, minus the he said she said bs? Like you i don't agree this all GOP or DEM. But the current problem is both by their refusal to put their show boating aside.

I don't think things are all that ****ed in the short term. We should maintain our current tax rates with a possible additional bracket in the 1-2 million range that's a few percentage points higher. I'm ambivalent about additional stimulus spending. What we need to do is fix our long term problems, which will require a serious reworking of SS/Medicare. We need to stop thinking that we can smoke a pack and eat 3,000 calories/day and then be entitled to tip top healthcare. We need to stop thinking we can ignore saving for retirement because SS will take care of things.

None of this is really relevant to the point I was making, but you asked.

What's so surprising about this? I have been saying this for years now, ever since Clinton signed the Gramm-Bliley bill into law. It's coming, folks. How it ends is up to us. We can come out of this better than we were before, if we do the right things, and I believe we will. Here is how I believe it will play out:

1) First, we will end up defaulting on our debt. There is no way to prevent this. We do NOT have the resources to be able to ever pay back our debt. Our crisis is going to become the world's crisis, but those who will suffer most, economically, will be the banksters, whose only wealth is on nothing but paper, which was created from all this debt, and not much else.

Couldn't agree more, but this Keynesian approach was exactly the wrong thing to have done when this started. Sure there would have been pain, but far less than we keep building now by printing more money and buying our own debt.

2) Heads are REALLY going to roll in Washington, and whoever replaces them will rebuild America's economic policies on sane foundations.

Yep, it starts this Nov. start popping the pop corn.

3) This might be an opportunity for some to attempt to create a new currency that will tie America's economic foundation to that of Canada and Mexico. There has been some talk about the Amero as a new currency. The good news is that this will never get off the ground, and will remain forever fodder for conspiracy theories.

Liberals are already trying that, check "Carbon Credits" they sure have enriched Al Gore.

4) Our new economic policy will once again call for a currency backed by something of value, as opposed to debt. Fiat currency, that is, currency with a value of whoever arbitrarily decides what it is going to be, will become history.

Maybe it could be backed with coal, after all they are premature diamonds. And we have the most of it.

I believe that we have a very rough road ahead of us, as our economy melts down. It is going to be very tough for some of us, but I truly believe that, once the proper steps are taken, we are going to come out of this better than we were before, and that the government of the people, by the people, and for the people, will once again become just that, instead of the tool for the banksters it became under our current economic policy.

But, but, we are being fed now such definitive statements by the current administration as "Nearly all economists agree", and "All the economists say...." It's such BS.

Heck, you even see it in here posted by staunch defenders of all this spending from Obama.

Yes, there is bad news coming, but if we persevere, the good news down the road will far outweigh it. Don't listen to politicians and other professional liars, as they make their last stand, desperately spinning what is about to happen, while praying that the status quo will prevail. It won't. The writing is already on the wall, and their days in power are numbered. When the meltdown does happen, this WILL be change you can believe in. Our leaders will once more work for us, and not for just the select few who have them in their pockets, via the lobbies. When this is over, perhaps the lobbyists can find work at McDonald's, if the supervisors somehow have it in their hearts to overlook their treasonous acts, and give them a second chance. After all, the retarded are always given a chance in life. LOL.

Well, I am hoping not, but this author of this piece seems to relish in doomsday writing. So, hey maybe, maybe not.

Tell me Dana, what is "lobbying" and what is it meant for?

Wiki defines it as:

Wiki said:
Lobbying (also Lobby) is a form of advocacy with the intention of influencing decisions made by legislators and officials in the government by individuals, other legislators, constituents, or advocacy groups.

Lobbying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the Constitution says:

The ability of individuals, groups, and corporations to lobby the government is protected by the right to petition[2] in the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.

Hmmm...is one to conclude by your obvious disdain for Lobbying efforts, and Lobbying in general that you are for abolishing it? Destroying the 1st Amendment?

We seem to see alot of that today.

j-mac

!!!!! I've saved this to my desktop for future use in my signature line. This has got to be the best line I've read yet. Thanks, Uncola!! :2wave:

If you think life without government is so great, you should jump on the next plane to Somalia, it'll be a paradise to you. True "libertatian" policies, hard at work.

Last edited:
If you think life without government is so great, you should jump on the next plane to Somalia, it'll be a paradise to you. True "libertatian" policies, hard at work.

"If you think more government is so great, you should fire up the time machine and go back to 1970's Soviet Russia, it'll be a paradise to you."

Sound dumb?

3 posts in, and the stubborn stupidity that keeps the tug-o-war going kicks in. Far-right/ far-left need to be put out to pasture and let the pragmatic middle take over and run things for a while.

Hard choices that the partisans protecting their jobs will never make. What got us here:

*unfunded wars
*for profit health care dictating terms of health care reform
*banking/financial sector dictating terms of regulation
*refusal to make hard choices on both taxes and spending

Yeah, like you're middle. LOL. I'd bet you have a poster of Michael Moore above your cot.

The middle is what got us into this mess. Wishy washy people who don't believe in anything but LOVE ATTENTION allow the Washington logjam to continue indefinitely.

This shows you know nothing about Libertarian philosophy.

Oh really? I keep hearing that from 'em, but when ya ask what it is they actually do stand for, all I get is negatives.

So, please point me to one successful libertarian nation. I'll wait patiently.

Who said anything about life without government? Out-of-control government is the problem. Not government. I think what we've got here is a failure to communicate, Uncola. Regards the 545 people post, We've got 545 people totally, completely and absolutely out of CONTROL.

In your hurry to label people, you miss the whole point.

Last edited:
Who said anything about life without government? Out-of-control government is the problem. Not government. I think what we've got here is a failure to communicate, Uncola. Regards the 545 people post, We've got 545 people totally, completely and absolutely out of CONTROL.

In your hurry to label people, you miss the whole point.

I must have missed where you offered up a solution. Sitting on the sidelines and throwing grenades is easy. But go right ahead and tell how having virtually every effort to work on this Nations pressing problems blocked by the minority party is a good thing. Voodoo Economics is a failure and we're now seeing the end game.

I must have missed where you offered up a solution. Sitting on the sidelines and throwing grenades is easy. But go right ahead and tell how having virtually every effort to work on this Nations pressing problems blocked by the minority party is a good thing. Voodoo Economics is a failure and we're now seeing the end game.

I posted the "545 Article" in response to your:

Originally Posted by The Uncola
Looking at recent history, one thing is abundantly clear, those that put this Nation at such serious risk, will NEVER, EVER take responsibility for their failures. They have learned nothing.

The failure is in those 545 people and their bosses. I hadn't meant it to offer solutions but to pinpoint the problem. However, we are the solution. We're just stymied on how to flex our muscles.

As to Republicans' actions in Congress, I think they're REEEdickalos. The only good that can come from how this latest Congress is behaving is the hope that, at last, they are being exposed for the clowns they really are. Both sides of the aisle.

Oh really? I keep hearing that from 'em, but when ya ask what it is they actually do stand for, all I get is negatives.

Here ya go, spanky.

Now throw some grenades at that.

I posted the "545 Article" in response to your:

The failure is in those 545 people and their bosses. I hadn't meant it to offer solutions but to pinpoint the problem. However, we are the solution. We're just stymied on how to flex our muscles.

As to Republicans' actions in Congress, I think they're REEEdickalos. The only good that can come from how this latest Congress is behaving is the hope that, at last, they are being exposed for the clowns they really are. Both sides of the aisle.

Nonsense, yet again. 545 people didn't stop legislation in it's tracks, for the most part, about 40 did. But, as per usual, a wide brush apologist blames even those that actually tried to do something for the FACT that those they support, blocked everything, no matter who the **** it hurts. What kind of jerk do you have to be to cheer the failure of your own Nation?

Nonsense, yet again. 545 people didn't stop legislation in it's tracks, for the most part, about 40 did. But, as per usual, a wide brush apologist blames even those that actually tried to do something for the FACT that those they support, blocked everything, no matter who the **** it hurts. What kind of jerk do you have to be to cheer the failure of your own Nation?

What kind of a simplistic thinker do you have to be to assume that opposition to some particular legislation = "the failure of your own Nation"?

What kind of a close-minded person do you have to be to label anyone who doesn't share your political beliefs as a jerk?

Last edited:

How is being for personal liberty, economic liberty and a noninterventionist foreign policy negative?

How is being for personal liberty, economic liberty and a noninterventionist foreign policy negative?
It makes it impossible for insecure losers who have failed at life and live off the stolen labor of others to micromanage productive people's lives.

In other words, nothing.

Let it collapase and then I shall jump into my time traveling machine and go back to 1925! HA!!!!!!

Ha, is that really the best you can come up with? Estonia has a 20% VAT, hardly a Libertarian paradise, not to mention it's about the size of Rhode Island.
Sorry, was I ****ing talking to you?

If you can come up with a better example, knock yourself out. If all you can do is bitch, go take a walk.

Couldn't agree more, but this Keynesian approach was exactly the wrong thing to have done when this started. Sure there would have been pain, but far less than we keep building now by printing more money and buying our own debt.

Yep, it starts this Nov. start popping the pop corn.

Liberals are already trying that, check "Carbon Credits" they sure have enriched Al Gore.

Maybe it could be backed with coal, after all they are premature diamonds. And we have the most of it.

But, but, we are being fed now such definitive statements by the current administration as "Nearly all economists agree", and "All the economists say...." It's such BS.

Heck, you even see it in here posted by staunch defenders of all this spending from Obama.

Well, I am hoping not, but this author of this piece seems to relish in doomsday writing. So, hey maybe, maybe not.

Tell me Dana, what is "lobbying" and what is it meant for?

Wiki defines it as:

And the Constitution says:

Hmmm...is one to conclude by your obvious disdain for Lobbying efforts, and Lobbying in general that you are for abolishing it? Destroying the 1st Amendment?

We seem to see alot of that today.

j-mac

The lobbyists envisioned by our forefathers were not johns, nor did they envision that our lawmakers would become whores.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom