• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dont you wish you had your old collection of ________ back?

gdgyva

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
(CNN)A rare copy of a Superman comic book sold for nearly $1 million this week.

The 1938 comic book marks the first appearance of Superman, and is considered a gem among comic book fans, according to Heritage Auctions. It was expected to sell for $750,000 but fetched $956,000.

The rare copy of a comic book was expected to sell for $750,000, but sold for $956,000 instead.

About 100 copies of the comic book are believed to exist decades after production.

"Few copies of this comic survive, let alone come to auction with such a bright cover," said Lon Allen, managing director of comics and comic art at Heritage Auctions

Rare Superman comic book sold for nearly $1 million - CNN.com

Read this today, and thought to myself....

Never had anything worth that much, but i wonder how much those Willie Mays rookie baseball cards that i used to put into the spokes of my bicycle might be worth today? Or how much my old album collection that my ex-wife ended up with after the divorce would be worth today?

Dont you wish you had your old collection of ________'s back now?

I wish I had my old collection of Pokémon cards back.

I had a really good collection of baseball cards from the 50's-80's that got stolen a couple of decades ago. I'd really like to have them back.

There's also a bunch of concert T-shirts that would be nice to have back even though there's no way they'd fit anymore.

The 1938 comic book marks the first appearance of Superman, and is considered a gem among comic book fans, according to Heritage Auctions. It was expected to sell for $750,000 but fetched $956,000.

The rare copy of a comic book was expected to sell for $750,000, but sold for $956,000 instead.

About 100 copies of the comic book are believed to exist decades after production.

"Few copies of this comic survive, let alone come to auction with such a bright cover," said Lon Allen, managing director of comics and comic art at Heritage Auctions

Never had anything worth that much, but i wonder how much those Willie Mays rookie baseball cards that i used to put into the spokes of my bicycle might be worth today? Or how much my old album collection that my ex-wife ended up with after the divorce would be worth today?

I have every single comic book I bought and collected when I was a kid. I also still have all my Matchbox cars from the '70s. I don't think any of them are worth much. I do wish I was an X-Man comic book fan then though.

Edit:

Oh I still have every single paperback I ever purchased lying around on shelves too. I am so glad the kindle and e-books came out.

I wish I had my old collection of Pokémon cards back.

I still have mine. I'm hoping that high level of nostalgia for Pokemon eventually drives the price of my 1st edition Charizard through the roof. Already at several hundred.

I have every single comic book I bought and collected when I was a kid. I also still have all my Matchbox cars from the '70s. I don't think any of them are worth much. I do wish I was an X-Man comic book fan then though.

Edit:

Oh I still have every single paperback I ever purchased lying around on shelves too. I am so glad the kindle and e-books came out.

no way in the world i would have enough room for all the books i read

you must have a lot of room in your house....lol

I had quite the collection of Magic the gathering cards from the early 90s that I gave to a friend. I also had a lot of transformers and star wars toys from the 80s that we gave away to a neighbor with. I played with those pretty ruthlessly, but they're apparently worth good coin even in poor condition.

I still have all of my comics, but I didn't start on those till the early 90s, so I don't think I have any truly valuable ones.

Books are great. I love the smell. Does anyone else think books smell? Yeah, I have an entire room, bookshelves wall to wall, floor to ceiling. All the technology bores me, and sitting down with a good book relaxes me.

Probably the most valuable I lost was a red stamp 2 dollar bill from the 50's ish. I say that because it was a legit bill but was also a massive defect, with no date and some words not printed on it. My brother stole it to buy ice cream, which pissed me off, it pissed me off a few years after when I found out someone sold a similiar defect one for around 5k, turns out blatant defect currency is pretty rare, as most is caught and destroyed before circulation.

The other ones were my first editions of xmen and spiderman. The xmen one i traded with a friend for, and the spiderman one I got when me and some friends were helping the old lady across the street clean out her basement. Her son left alot of comics and baseball cards she was going to throw out, we pretty much divided that stuff up.

The comics were lost in the move from virginia to california. Not sure how but I suspect my oldest brother stole them to sell for drugs. I googled the value of the xmen comic, it was mint but not sealed, it would have been atleast a few g's today, the spiderman I do not know but I am assuming alot since it was also mint but not sealed.

Baseball cards.

Half dollars.
220px-S_Half_Dollar_Obverse_2016.jpg

Lot and lots of bookshelves, though my kids have managed to abscond with a number of them. I just looked, I've bought 705 books on Amazon since I got my first Kindle in '09... so yeah I'm glad I don't have that many more lying around.

I wish I had all of my R.L. Stine Fear Street books back.

Hand-blown glass hash pipes, water pipes and bongs.

Books are great. I love the smell. Does anyone else think books smell? Yeah, I have an entire room, bookshelves wall to wall, floor to ceiling. All the technology bores me, and sitting down with a good book relaxes me.

What is with this book smelling fetish some have. :2razz: I don't think I ever heard about book smelling till people who really hate e-readers started speaking against them, lol.

What is with this book smelling fetish some have. :2razz: I don't think I ever heard about book smelling till people who really hate e-readers started speaking against them, lol.

Nah, it's a thing. It's what a library smells like, which is what I think most people like about. My parents took me to the library every other weekend. I open a book, and bam, that smell takes me back.

A couple years after the service I sold my childhood comics collection to pay for college. The centerpiece was X-Men 1-100. Sold it for 20K back in the 70s. Probably should have waited and sat on it for a few more decades.

Never took to DC. Marvel all the way. Even had some of the original Human Torch.

Nah, it's a thing. It's what a library smells like, which is what I think most people like about. My parents took me to the library every other weekend. I open a book, and bam, that smell takes me back.

Schlie.jpg

My father told me about how he had a big collection of old baseball cards, including the greats. He didn't expect them to end up being worth much to the point that the thought didn't even cross his mind, so he threw them out when leaving for college. Looking up some of them when I was younger, I realized that they would have been worth piles of cash....

Therefore, I am saving every last 'collectible' thing I had as a kid. Baseball cards,etc. Will self-appraise in a few decades and see. And if I don't need any more money than I've saved, pass 'em on for the same purpose.

There will be collectors as long as there are humans.

Books are great. I love the smell. Does anyone else think books smell?

Yep. The older the better, unless moldy.

Yeah, I have an entire room, bookshelves wall to wall, floor to ceiling. All the technology bores me, and sitting down with a good book relaxes me.

Our bookshelves are spread between a few rooms, but I know what you mean...

I wish I had all of my R.L. Stine Fear Street books back.

I'm with you on this one, although I'll say my whole book collection, I loved those fear streets and also sweet valley. I sometimes will pick up a used copy and read it in like 30 minutes and it's not quite the same but it's fun remembering.

Baseball cards.
Although, being an irresponsible schmuck, they were pretty destroyed by bending them all up building forts to knock down with whatever missile was available at the time.
I have everything else. Just can't throw **** away.

The rarest thing I own is true love.

Oh and a 1965 Louisville slugger mini bat from a Houston Colt .45's game.

While not a collection of mine, per se, I wish I had the quilts that were handmade by my grandmother that I used to sleep under when I had my week's vacation with her as a child. I have other quilts, but none that make me feel as safe and loved as hers did. I don't know whatever became of them, either. Sad...

Back
Top Bottom