• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Don't you miss Milton Friedman?!

Mensch

Mr. Professional
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Here we are, a flashback to 1979 when Friedman was interviewed by Phil Donahue.

I challenge any critic to actually watch the full program before responding with their critical analysis.

Samsmart: you might especially like what he says towards the end of part one in regards to consumer safety and auto safety. We never finished that debate.

When you all are finished with that one, here's his appearance on Donahue in 1980:

i'll come back to these.... i feel a bit peckish... potatoes and eggs and ham for lunch... cheap, filling and best of all.... already in the crib.

geo

Monetarism is just as bad as fiscal interventionism, and his idea about a negative income tax is horrible. At least he was good in the fight against the Marxists, and that philosophy should be all but dead.

Monetarism is just as bad as fiscal interventionism, and his idea about a negative income tax is horrible. At least he was good in the fight against the Marxists, and that philosophy should be all but dead.

You seem to be a little bit more economically inclined than I am, but I'm trying my best. He argued for a negative income tax on top of his existing flat tax proposal and the elimination of all government entitlement programs. It's not like it was just the negative income tax. As for monetarism, why is it such a horrid idea?

We can't all be perfect nor can we all be purists. Milton Friedman popularized libertarian economic thinking far greater than the bozo Stossel or David Nolan. I thought he had MANY great ideas, but you seem very stuck on the one aspect of monetarism. What about the rest of his proposals?

He had plenty of good proposals, like deregulation and vouchers. Monetarism is destructive and will keep us on the path of business cycles (monetary inflation obscures price signals, no matter the amount of it), and the negative income tax is just as bad as welfare.

He had plenty of good proposals, like deregulation and vouchers. Monetarism is destructive and will keep us on the path of business cycles (monetary inflation obscures price signals, no matter the amount of it), and the negative income tax is just as bad as welfare.

Well, you know my thoughts on the gold standard, if that is your implied alternative.

Here we are, a flashback to 1979 when Friedman was interviewed by Phil Donahue.

I challenge any critic to actually watch the full program before responding with their critical analysis.

Samsmart: you might especially like what he says towards the end of part one in regards to consumer safety and auto safety. We never finished that debate.

lmao Friedman was an idiot to argue that emissions regulation and air bags were the cause of Chrysler failing. North American car manufacturers have been producing the highest gas guzzling automobiles in the world for years. LMAO this argument that government regulation is ruining industry is completely stupid. Just ridiculous. lol.. you libertarians are really in denial of reality. Capitalism is the answer for everything.. utopia awaits we only have to finally swallow the whole free markets enchilada, sucker born everyday.

lmao Friedman was an idiot to argue that emissions regulation and air bags were the cause of Chrysler failing. North American car manufacturers have been producing the highest gas guzzling automobiles in the world for years. LMAO this argument that government regulation is ruining industry is completely stupid. Just ridiculous. lol.. you libertarians are really in denial of reality. Capitalism is the answer for everything.. utopia awaits we only have to finally swallow the whole free markets enchilada, sucker born everyday.

lets see we have nobel prize winning economist who is regarded as one of the greatest ever on one side and we have you on the other

now tell me whose opinion is going to carry more weight with me given your anti capitalist bias is obvious?

capitalism isn't the answer for slackers, shirkers, the untalented and the uneducated. for those of us who are talented it works pretty well

lets see we have nobel prize winning economist who is regarded as one of the greatest ever on one side and we have you on the other

now tell me whose opinion is going to carry more weight with me given your anti capitalist bias is obvious?

capitalism isn't the answer for slackers, shirkers, the untalented and the uneducated. for those of us who are talented it works pretty well

lmao.. or inherited wealth from mommy and daddy.. or know someone who inherited wealth from mommy and daddy .. or got lucky with investments.. it isn't just talent that puts money in peoples pockets, particularly not in todays job market brought to you courtesy of deregulated banking industry. Your fooling yourself if you think all wealthy people are self made..

lmao.. or inherited wealth from mommy and daddy.. or know someone who inherited wealth from mommy and daddy .. or got lucky with investments.. it isn't just talent that puts money in peoples pockets, particularly not in todays job market brought to you courtesy of deregulated banking industry. Your fooling yourself if you think all wealthy people are self made..

yeah the failures in a capitalist system always want to attribute anyone who wins to some sort of blind luck

its like the guys who lose in a sport claiming the other guy was cheating or the loser was hurt

what did that famous tennis player say "I never beat a well man in my entire career"

What alternative would let a person like me (self-made) own a home, two cars and all the other stuff that goes along with it?

I've inherited nothing, other than having parents who encouraged me to go to college.

No other system controls the human desire for power and dominance more than capitalism.

That said, it is far from perfect, but no human operated system ever will be perfect; so until a system comes along that is better "hating" capitalism is foolish and will only lead us into despotism.

You seem to be a little bit more economically inclined than I am, but I'm trying my best. He argued for a negative income tax on top of his existing flat tax proposal and the elimination of all government entitlement programs. It's not like it was just the negative income tax. As for monetarism, why is it such a horrid idea?

We can't all be perfect nor can we all be purists. Milton Friedman popularized libertarian economic thinking far greater than the bozo Stossel or David Nolan. I thought he had MANY great ideas, but you seem very stuck on the one aspect of monetarism. What about the rest of his proposals?

Monetarism was a hypothesis formed by Mr. Friedman that if we just increase the money supply at a constant and steady rate it would lead to steady economic growth. This hypothesis was shown to be wrong in the early 80's because the velocity of money was not stable enough for this simple idea to remain true.

However, it was influential in showing how the money supply can have large effects on the economy and has greatly influenced many economists ideas about monetary policy.

You do realize that even lazy people can get by in the capitalist system right?
His point I assume is that those who don't succeed want to blame the system instead of themselves. Capitalism allows for all the success or failure one can muster in life, the beauty of it is you can move in your financial life whether it's easy or not.

Last edited:
Well, you know my thoughts on the gold standard, if that is your implied alternative.
The gold standard may be a little limited in and of itself for modern economic models but if an actual non-perishable commodity and fiat hybrid were to be created with a heavier weight on hard assets being stressed it should be sufficient to control inflation, the idea is to limit the government's ability to print more money than it can sustain. Make less money worth more instead of the other way around.

Monetarism was a hypothesis formed by Mr. Friedman that if we just increase the money supply at a constant and steady rate it would lead to steady economic growth. This hypothesis was shown to be wrong in the early 80's because the velocity of money was not stable enough for this simple idea to remain true.

However, it was influential in showing how the money supply can have large effects on the economy and has greatly influenced many economists ideas about monetary policy.
In bold is exactly right IMO. Monetarism is a nice way of saying controlled inflation as monetary policy, Mr. Friedman was wrong in that regard, but overall he was a brilliant economist.

That's not what he said. He said that if safety was such a big concern for consumers that it would be stressed by consumers as much as fuel efficiency and price. Since it isn't, car companies don't make a big deal about it. Safety is only as good as consumer demand for it.

I actually don't know. What don't you like about the gold standard?

There are many problems with the gold standard. One of which being that it's stability is deceptive. Gold can fluctuate in value, and second, it can be manipulated almost as much as other currency backing systems. All you got to do is change the ratio of gold backing the dollars.

Then you need to consider the growth limitations in a strict gold backed economy. The economy is too large and needs too much money for a gold standard, unless you play the ratio game above to "solve" it.

Gold is overrated.

Not only do I miss Friedman (granted I was born in 1984) but I miss people who actually follow what he says instead of just parroting it. So far there is still only one man in the entire US Federal Government who actually follows Friedman's principals with the record to back it up not just mindless talk.

There are many problems with the gold standard. One of which being that it's stability is deceptive. Gold can fluctuate in value, and second, it can be manipulated almost as much as other currency backing systems. All you got to do is change the ratio of gold backing the dollars.

If you can change the exchange ratio then you do not have a true gold standard. That would be no different than fiat currency. Furthermore, gold is very stable. What isn't stable is what you compare the value of gold to, such as the dollar and other currencies.

Then you need to consider the growth limitations in a strict gold backed economy. The economy is too large and needs too much money for a gold standard, unless you play the ratio game above to "solve" it.

Gold is overrated.

No one has proved that you need an expanding money suppy for an economy to grow.

I actually don't know. What don't you like about the gold standard?

As I said before, it served as the backbone of the old mercentile, imperialist system. If gold measures the wealth of a nation, then the only way to expand a nation's wealth beyond its limited resources is to take from those who don't have it. We can trade all we want and offer a fantastic idea to global consumers who will pay us their gold for our ideas. But in the end, isn't the location of the gold source the key to determining which nation becomes the natural kingpin?

If you can change the exchange ratio then you do not have a true gold standard. That would be no different than fiat currency. Furthermore, gold is very stable. What isn't stable is what you compare the value of gold to, such as the dollar and other currencies.

What about a silver standard or a platinum standard or a diamond standard?

No one has proved that you need an expanding money suppy for an economy to grow.

Then what happens when one nation's economy grows exponentially while the supply of gold remains stagnant? Does that automatically mean a greater inequality of wealth?

Back
Top Bottom