• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Don't want Trump in 2020? Here is what you do...

Slavister

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
(If Trump survives to 2020 and runs again...)

Considering how many of the recent elections were about voting AGAINST a candidate rather than FOR a candidate, I think Dems could and should take it to the logical conclusion.

If they don't want Trump to win in 2020, if there is another candidate in Republican primaries, they should go ahead and vote in Republican primaries instead of Democrat ones.

IMO, given the results of 2016, it's way more important Trump does not make it than which specific Dem does.

This took me a moment to understand because it is 3:13am. And also because I am stoned.

But it seems you are saying we should all vote in the Republican primary so Trump loses the Republican nomination. Trump, as the sitting President, would of course still run, just as an Independent. And the Republicans would split their votes between Trump and the Republican nominee, and the democrat would win. But wouldn’t that also be the case if the conservative alternative, like Romney, just ran as an independent against Trump and the Democrat?

This took me a moment to understand because it is 3:13am. And also because I am stoned.

But it seems you are saying we should all vote in the Republican primary so Trump loses the Republican nomination. Trump, as the sitting President, would of course still run, just as an Independent. And the Republicans would split their votes between Trump and the Republican nominee, and the democrat would win. But wouldn’t that also be the case if the conservative alternative, like Romney, just ran as an independent against Trump and the Democrat?

South Carolina has already proposed SKIPPING its state Republican primary to ensure that ONLY Trump can run.
If they manage to pull off this stunt, expect the majority of other red states to do the same with THEIR state GOP primaries.

When it comes to cheating, they're already playing three dimensional chess.

Considering how many of the recent elections were about voting AGAINST a candidate rather than FOR a candidate, I think Dems could and should take it to the logical conclusion.

If they don't want Trump to win in 2020, if there is another candidate in Republican primaries, they should go ahead and vote in Republican primaries instead of Democrat ones.

IMO, given the results of 2016, it's way more important Trump does not make it than which specific Dem does.

So your solution if for democrats to rat **** or party raid the republican primary? I remember in 2016 the stupid Trump-tards were posting stories of democrats switching parties to vote for Trump in the primary as though that was a good thing. Apparently rat ****ing the republican primary wasn't a good thing. This is why I oppose open primaries and party switching when the presidential primary candidates announce they are running. Parties should be allowed to party raid or rat **** the other party's primary.

... wouldn’t that also be the case if the conservative alternative, like Romney, just ran as an independent against Trump and the Democrat?

Good point but ...

1. I think it's less likely (someone like) Romney would run as Independent if he loses in primaries to Trump

2. Many voters may still ignore "independent" candidates; so while the split would help the Dems, we don't know to what extent. To avoid 2020 Trump, I think it's more effective to have Trump as "independent" than the "chosen" Republican candidate.

3. If Trump loses Primaries, it's NOT a given he will run as Independent. After his primaries loss, would he want yet another "loss" (and the accompanying "blame" for Dem win)? For someone who loves to "win", it's hard to say.

Last edited:

I'm all for complete explications of an idea, but Jesus....Given the title of your thread, your whole OP could have been stated in two words: "Vote Blue."

Must be primo stuff, Bob! In at 3:13 and out at 4:19, and only a paragraph (small) appeared!:peace

I'm all for complete explications of an idea, but Jesus....Given the title of your thread, your whole OP could have been stated in two words: "Vote Blue."

Wait, what? You’re recommending a poster go all ‘laconic?’

:doh

Wait, what? You’re recommending a poster go all ‘laconic?’

:doh

In this instance I am. As with everything, it's all about context.

I mean, really. Who needs this....

rubegoldberg-feature.jpg

...to tell them how to do this?

image.JPG

Commands for what action to perform need few words.

Last edited:

The end justifies the means, eh?

?? I think you missed the point. You may want to reread the OP.

So your solution if for democrats to rat **** or party raid the republican primary?

As a voter, I can vote in primaries to have Trump vs one of Dems or I can vote to have non-Trump vs a Dem. Sometimes, it's a difficult choice. In this case, given 2016 results, it's not.

If and when we have a better election system, e.g. something like equal.vote, things would be more straight forward and more fair. We'd be voting not so much AGAINST someone but actually FOR someone. But until then, we have to vote within constraints of the current system to get best result we can manage.

As a voter, I can vote in primaries to have Trump vs one of Dems or I can vote to have non-Trump vs a Dem. Sometimes, it's a difficult choice. In this case, given 2016 results, it's not.

If and when we have a better election system, e.g. something like equal.vote, things would be more straight forward and more fair. We'd be voting not so much AGAINST someone but actually FOR someone. But until then, we have to vote within constraints of the current system to get best result we can manage.
*sigh* A simple "yes" would have sufficed.

And take that equal vote nonsense and flush it.
The United States of America.
The States elect their President.
Your vote counts at your state level. That is fair.

1-I highly doubt Trump runs in 2020.
2-If Trump runs and wins the GOP nomination, if you want to defeat him...the answer is simple. Dont run another piece of **** candidate like Hillary Clinton. Dont cheat half the democrat voting base by rigging the system against them. Dont have members of the DNC collude with members of the media to pass debate questions to their preferred candidates. Hey...try not to send a bunch of emails to each other exposing your bull**** tactics and if you insist on doing it anyway, then dont send your server email access codes and passwords out in group texts and make sure your most senior DNC party members are at least as smart as a 7 year old when it comes to phishing emails. In other words...dont **** yourselves, like you did the last time.

And take that equal vote nonsense and flush it.
The United States of America.
The States elect their President.
Your vote counts at your state level. That is fair.

Why don't you go and check out the link before you make a fool out of yourself next time. In no way does the proposed system do what you assume.

Why don't you go and check out the link before you make a fool out of yourself next time. In no way does the proposed system do what you assume.

I already checked it out, so you can only be speaking of your self with that "fool" bs.

As it was set up to be, it is fair. The type of voting used is also fair. Their failure to understand that its the problem. What they want to change it to is what would be unfair.

I already checked it out, so you can only be speaking of your self with that "fool" bs.

As it was set up to be, it is fair. The type of voting used is also fair. Their failure to understand that its the problem. What they want to change it to is what would be unfair.

You clearly don't get what they are talking about then. This is not about disputing EC.

You clearly don't get what they are talking about then. This is not about disputing EC.

iLOL
Your replies are as stupid as star voting is.

I clearly do understand, which is why I can say what they want is what would be unfair.
And it is clearly you who did not understand the reference to it being an election by the States. While we accomplish that by means of the EC, the point was that it is not a National election by the People. The People elect their local and State Reps and the States elect the President. In contrast, they want direct election of the President by the Star system, or didn't you know what you were promoting?

What do I mean by your replies are stupid?
1. You assumed when you should not have. That is stupid.
2. You didn't bother to ascertain what I knew (that is also stupid) and instead just assumed and passed judgment (also stupid).
And since you didn't bother to ascertain, I am not going to entertain questions now.

it is clearly you who did not understand the reference to it being an election by the States. While we accomplish that by means of the EC, the point was that it is not a National election by the People. The People elect their local and State Reps and the States elect the President. In contrast, they want direct election of the President by the Star system, or didn't you know what you were promoting?

Try again.

I see no reference to changing EC there. If you see one, please quote it. The star voting system is proposed for choosing candidates at all levels, local, state and national. At national level, winner of the star voting system in each state could just as well be EC representative voting for the winner in that state on behalf of that state.

Check out Maine and Nebraska as two examples of doing something similar.

Get it now?

Romney isn't conservative so how could he run as the conservative alternative?

Star Voting = trying to **** up this country even more.

Get it now?
I see you still want to make asinine replies.
Figures.
May I suggest aging?
I clearly get it, likely better than you do. It is an absurd system and should be opposed by any rational adult.

At national level, winner of the star voting system in each state could just as well be EC representative voting for the winner in that state on behalf of that state.
You are the one who keeps bringing up the EC because you clearly did not understand, which has already been pointed out. So you "try again".

Must be primo stuff, Bob! In at 3:13 and out at 4:19, and only a paragraph (small) appeared!:peace

I think I got distracted midpost searching for the text to my new sig. :)

I think I got distracted midpost searching for the text to my new sig. :)

I think you were just seeing if anyone was reading your posts and paying attention......

Back
Top Bottom