• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Don't Trust a Chicken Nugget That's Visited China

I don't trust any food that has been in, or originated in China.

Part of the point of the article is... you won't know.

Pretty sad indeed. I'm a label-looker. On every can, carton, package, or piece of produce I buy, I look to see what the country of origin is, if it's there. I don't like buying stuff from Mexico, much less halfway across the world, where people are valued about like ants.

I'm not, but frankly, I trust our farmers more than those of other countries. One of the few areas that I favor government regulations in this country is in food safety.

I don't disagree, but considering the number of food recalls and people suffering from food poisoning and worse from lettuce up to processed foods, meats and dairy, there's no way to fully trust any food - we're all potentially one bite away from serious illness or death.

I don't disagree, but considering the number of food recalls and people suffering from food poisoning and worse from lettuce up to processed foods, meats and dairy, there's no way to fully trust any food - we're all potentially one bite away from serious illness or death.

It's relative. There is no such thing as a 100% safe food source, and some 'other stuff' will always get in, that's why we have to specify allowable amounts. But, some countries are far worse than others, and hence the risks from those countries are higher. We need to be as safe as we can, while knowing it will never be 100%.

Pretty sad indeed. I'm a label-looker. On every can, carton, package, or piece of produce I buy, I look to see what the country of origin is, if it's there. I don't like buying stuff from Mexico, much less halfway across the world, where people are valued about like ants.

Good evening, lizzie! :2wave:

:agree: "The only way to be sure of something is to do it yourself." seems to be a good idea. Unfortunately most people do not raise and process all their food. Those that do know exactly what they're eating, though, and no preservatives or other strange stuff is in it. In our area, we have farmers who raise and sell their beef, chickens, etc and you can see if they are being raised humanely by visiting their farms. The price is a little higher, but it's worth the peace of mind, IMO. As far as veggies and fruit from halfway around the world, who knows? :thumbdown:

Why aren't the US chickens processed here? Do chicken pluckers make too much in the US now?

11 Totally Disgusting Things the FDA Allows In Your Food - HealthPop - CBS News

Don't be so sure that American or any other country's processed foods are pristine.

I think China is worse but fair point. Years ago I hauled grain from the Canadian border to the Snake river one season when I was having a hard time keeping my log truck busy. I saw lots of mice being shot into my trailer as it filled up and the amount of herbicide and pesticide they use growing wheat is staggering. Then when I unloaded at Central Ferry they had so much grain they were piling it in a huge pile alongside the river and when I asked if the mice and rats got in it they said yes but we put lots of mouse poison out. When I said that a lot of that poison likely ended up in the grain the guy shrugged his shoulders. Look close at your sliced bread before eating it.

Last edited:

:agree: and that's scary! A worker in a food processing plant only needs to look away for a minute and miss seeing a problem with mold or something. Also, I recall a commercial...quickly pulled, BTW...where the worker stated "you don't want to know what's in "their" (unmentioned competitors) hotdogs! I wonder where they buy their food, since they know firsthand what goes on?

Good evening, CJ. :2wave:

I'm not, but frankly, I trust our farmers more than those of other countries. One of the few areas that I favor government regulations in this country is in food safety.

Ironically enough, the industry is more or less self-inspecting. The FDA usually does not get involved until after something has gone wrong. When the FDA comes in, they come in like gangbusters, but that is only after a problem is found and there has been a recall.

Ironically enough, the industry is more or less self-inspecting. The FDA usually does not get involved until after something has gone wrong. When the FDA comes in, they come in like gangbusters, but that is only after a problem is found and there has been a recall.

But without those regulations, I have my doubts that the producers would be self-inspecting in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong.

When I said that a lot of that poison likely ended up in the grain the guy shrugged his shoulders. Look close at your sliced bread before eating it.

Well hell Sawyer, that means you can't be baking your own, and feel good about it either, as the wheat gets ground and refined, then shipped out for sale.

But without those regulations, I have my doubts that the producers would be self-inspecting in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong.

Like in most areas of government, regulations are generally pretty good but incredibly expensive to adequately enforce and so as Fisher says companies self-regulate because to be caught doing something wrong is far more expensive and damaging than doing things right.

Like in most areas of government, regulations are generally pretty good but incredibly expensive to adequately enforce and so as Fisher says companies self-regulate because to be caught doing something wrong is far more expensive and damaging than doing things right.

Well, as I was implying, it's likely the presence of the government regulations that is responsible for the self-regulation.

Well hell Sawyer, that means you can't be baking your own, and feel good about it either, as the wheat gets ground and refined, then shipped out for sale.

Baking your own taste good though. Just look through the grain for mouse parts or tiny specks of blue or green, (d con).:lol:

IDK. There is a local food processing plant near me for a major brand, and they are pretty hard-core about everything, including things that would not interest the FDA, like making sure everything about the product is as perfect as they can get it in terms of packaging, flavor, etc. I am sure you are right, but there are aspects to maintaining a brand that would encourage it even without the FDA oversight me thinks. A lot of recalls are voluntary recalls anyways because the legal exposure in making people sick or killing them encourages getting all the product off the market as quickly as possible once a potential problem is detected.

Here's another grain scare story. When I was hauling grain and unloading at the Snake you pull up to a certain spot and 3 probes go into your trailer which suck out a little grain that lands in the office where they inspect it for bugs and mold. One time they sent me home unladed because there was grain contaminated with this green chemical farmers put on grain they want to save for seed for next years crop and somehow this stuff got mixed into one silo. The farmer said to load from it in the areas where the probes don't go in and fill the rest with good grain so that's what we did. Enjoy your poison bread. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom