• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Don't lie: would you be able to correctly name/identify each of the 50 states + DC + PR on a blank map of the US and their capital cities ?

?

• No, I cannot locate any state.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Germany/Austria/Switzerland has pretty good yearly almanacs, which also focus on the US:

9783440172070rfTLA0mjUbOzL.jpg

Current, reliable, essential The reference book for the time. The Kosmos World Almanach & Atlas 2022 delivers numbers, data and facts from politics, economy, the environment. The year book contains a part of state where all the states in the world are listed. There you will find information on each country regarding area and inhabitants, as well as the official language(s), gross domestic product, currency and messages of the country. The Almanach also contains more information on the national structure, population, state and government form, government and parties as well as economy. Each country has a review that reflects the events during the reporting period. The World Almanach & Atlas 2022 is also offered as an app.

Or the Diercke International Atlas (a German Atlas brand, but this new Atlas is an English one):

zweidrittel_Diercke_International_Atlas_favorisierter_Entwurf.jpg

Sample pages:

The Diercke Atlas is also an exceptional Atlas for school / students.

It has 250 pages and it's crossover, meaning it's not just focusing on geography but also on history and economic topics as well as science.

In Germany, Austria, Switzerland students get such Atlases for free.

The new Kosmos Almanac will come out in September and will be titled 2023 (but actually focuses on events between July 2021 and July 2022.

Not sure why they title it 2023.

Anyway, it will have 800 pages on all countries and will have a main topic: climate (or Ukraine):

9783440173190.jpg

No, I could not name the capitals of most states.

Yes, I think that I could locate most states, for I have a general idea of where most states are.

The German Diercke Atlas (better said, it's new International Atlas in English) also contains a lot about the US and North America, it's economy and climate:

I am no student, but I bought it for 30€.

US teachers: maybe you can buy a few atlases yourself and/or gift it to some US students, because even though it's from Germany, it has the English version and it's really comprehensive.

Yes, both.

I can identify all 50 states and capitals (and even fairly quickly) on a blank map. Plus DC + PR.

I have always loved geography + politics and I own several atlases + almanacs.
I'd suck at this, especially if you add in the capitols. Tangentially related, check this out. It's hilarious.

Having been to many states (about 35) I think I could locate on a map about all of them...state capitals not so much.

Yes, I can name them all with their capitals. I used to have Africa, Canada and Central and South America all memorized too back in college.

Many US states have capitals that are not the largest cities in the state.

For example all 3 West coast states and Nevada.

These 4 states are bordered by 3 states (Idaho, Utah, Arizona), whose capitals are the largest cities in these states ... :)

There is no capital city of DC.

As a boy, I had a pencil case with a wheel that you turned to show the states in one window and the capital city in another. I memorized them all back then but have probably forgotten quite a few by now.

I can point all of the states out on a US map.

Yes, both.

I can identify all 50 states and capitals (and even fairly quickly) on a blank map. Plus DC + PR.

It’s funny. I’ve traveled around the US my whole life and have been to 47 states, and yet I’m infinitely better at European geography.

Yes, both.

I used to be really good with capitals when I was in high school. But shit, I can't remember the last time I thought about Olypmia, Washington or Salem, Oregon or Montpelier, Vermont, lol.

I just took a state quiz and received an 86% score. Haven't tried a Capitol quiz yet.

Yes, both.

I used to know all the capitals. I learned them on my daughters leap pad. lol

There was a time I most likely could have named all the States and their Capitals.
A stroke years ago did a number on some of my memory. Have not bothered to relearn the names. Have better things to do, I guess.

That said, while I cannot name all 50 States/Capital's, I still know how to look the answer up using different resources. :giggle:

I have been to all but 2 of them.

I got 39 states. Cool game!

I can name all the states alphabetically but I do mix up some on the northeastern states. And I don't know all the capitals.

I can name all the states alphabetically but I do mix up some on the northeastern states. And I don't know all the capitals.
That's impressive!

Back
Top Bottom