• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Don't lie: would you be able to correctly name/identify each of the 50 states + DC + PR on a blank map of the US and their capital cities ?

?

• No, I cannot locate any state.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No chance.
I don't think I could get many at all, to be honest.

I just took a state quiz and received an 86% score. Haven't tried a Capitol quiz yet.

Thanks for the link !

I got all 50 states in 1 minute 25 seconds:

30-E00390-BECE-402-C-A6-FF-AC4-CB8-E0339-F.png

Yes, both.

I can identify all 50 states and capitals (and even fairly quickly) on a blank map. Plus DC + PR.

I have always loved geography + politics and I own several atlases + almanacs.
I can name all 50 states. I can name most of the capitals. I only say most because I’m not going to run the list by memory

Yes, but mostly because I have school-aged children so whether it's the states in P-3 elementary, capitals in 4-6, or Quiz Bowl type stuff in high school...it's a ongoing thing. Their first grade teachers taught them this great little song, with lots of clapping and such of the alphabetically listing of states. I heard it over, and over, and over. But it's still cute and they can still sing it lightening fast.

Gotta admit, though, I used to get VT and NH mixed up til we vacationed one time in VT. And, I still sometimes confuse Wyoming with Colorado (the former is on the Bucket List, the latter, not so much).

I don't think it's a bad thing to not know them all. I'd rather people know their own capital and who their senators and representative are....as well as their local rep (supervisor, council member) and, especially, who their Superintendent or School Leader is (even if they don't have kids in school).

Yes, both.

I can identify all 50 states and capitals (and even fairly quickly) on a blank map. Plus DC + PR.

I could name most of the capitals, probably not all, but I doubt I could accurately place most of them on the map of their state.

Yes, both.

I read the question as identifying the states and their capitals on a "blank" map, which would entail no political borders outlined and no dots where the capital cities are.

On a truly blank map I couldn't do it. On a map with state outlines, I can get all the states, and DC and PR. But, I would expect to goof up on a couple of the capitals.

I read the question as identifying the states and their capitals on a "blank" map, which would entail no political borders outlined and no dots where the capital cities are.

On a truly blank map I couldn't do it. On a map with state outlines, I can get all the states, and DC and PR. But, I would expect to goof up on a couple of the capitals.

Yeah, i meant a blank map but with state outlines.

Yeah, i meant a blank map but with state outlines.
Oh, well, sure, I can name the states. The capitals get dicey sometimes - like mixing up north and south dakota's capitals, and forgetting that Illinois' capital is Springfield.

Oh, well, sure, I can name the states. The capitals get dicey sometimes - like mixing up north and south dakota's capitals, and forgetting that Illinois' capital is Springfield.

... and not Chicago.

🤣

Just imagine the Simpsons are living in the capital of IL.

I just took a state quiz and received an 86% score. Haven't tried a Capitol quiz yet.

I got a 98% which is funny because I got Vermont and New Hampshire mixed up and I used to live up in that area.

Ive been in all 50 states...not sure if I can nail all the capitals though.

I got a 98% which is funny because I got Vermont and New Hampshire mixed up and I used to live up in that area.

Ive been in all 50 states...not sure if I can nail all the capitals though.

Just remember that Vermont is ALWAYS the tiny state east of New York state, above Massachusetts.

To my recollection, there's maps in the classroom walls but No, the children seldom get maps to take home. There's an off-chance that they might learn something. :)

Yes I can. This is really elementary education stuff; what many of us learned in the 4th grade. Back before public schools became centers of libtard indoctrination and grooming, students actually were tasked with LEARNING fundamentals, including history and geography.

I have a neighbor who is a high school algebra teacher who told me his school district recently removed all of the analog clocks in his high school and they were replaced with digital clocks, because the school discovered that a large percentage of their high school students could not tell time on a analog clock.

I was astounded and ANGRY to hear this. I told my neighbor, "what point is there in being a damn teacher if you are not able to teach a HIGH SCHOOL algebra student to tell time on a analog clock?" I told him to teach them or FAIL them, but don't coddle them.

No wonder China is eating our lunch today....sheesh!

Yes I can. This is really elementary education stuff; what many of us learned in the 4th grade. Back before public schools became centers of libtard indoctrination and grooming, students actually were tasked with LEARNING fundamentals, including history and geography.

I have a neighbor who is a high school algebra teacher who told me his school district recently removed all of the analog clocks in his high school and they were replaced with digital clocks, because the school discovered that a large percentage of their high school students could not tell time on a analog clock.

I was astounded and ANGRY to hear this. I told my neighbor, "what point is there in being a damn teacher if you are not able to teach a HIGH SCHOOL algebra student to tell time on a analog clock?" I told him to teach them or FAIL them, but don't coddle them.

No wonder China is eating our lunch today....sheesh!
Actually, there is much more math involved in reading a digital clock than an analog one.

An analog clock is, in essence, a graphical representation of time, while a digital clock is a "precise" measurement of time. Most people use clocks to see how much time they have left until......[something].... with an analog clock, a simple glance provides that information graphically; with a digital clock, you are forced to subtract the current time from the target time to answer the question you are asking 'how much time left?" As such, I suggest the use of the digital clock actually sharpens the mind.

That said, I do agree that one should know how to tell you the current time on an analog clock as a basic skill.

As to the prime question posted in the OP, I got her done in 1:34. I am a bit of a geography nerd. I would be able to name each capital and place them on the map with a fair degree accuracy. I could also name two other principal cities in each state, also getting them pretty close on the map. I think I could also tell you the pre-2020 electoral value of most of the states, though I don't think I would get them all....

Screenshot 2022-04-19 at 13-10-50 The U.S. 50 States.png

This exercise does remind me of one of my college roommates that had a hypothesis that New Yorkers were among the most provincial of all of us. Inspired by this print from the New Yorker:

view-from-9th-ave-600x315-cropped.jpg

He presented a map of the states without names to two groups, those that grew up in metro New York and other students that did not grow up in the New York metro area. The result was quick shocking. If I remember correctly, New Yorkers (18-21 year old students) got just about 20 right and the rest of, non-New Yorkers got about 40 right. When I moved from New York to Denver, many of my New York friends (including one that was at NYU Law) thought I was living in a place that was just a couple of hour drive to the Pacific.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom