• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Don't get caught using eco-friendly light bulbs in Glenn Beck's office

No I'm not trying to interchange the two. I said it is an example evidence mankind can effect the environment on a massive scale.

Right, but we were talking about climate change, so why did you switch all of a sudden? :alert

Seriously you don't think mankind can affect the environment?
Pollute water and air? Yes. Cause global warming? You willing to commit to that?

I disagree - I'm no eco-terrorist but I have to say I love the CFLs and the light they produce - it's cleaner and brighter and the bulbs last forever - I've had them all over the house for almost a decade and I've had to change out 3 I think in all that time - conventional bulbs would burn out practically as soon as you put them in - and the electricity costs are significantly less.

This is one old, conservative, fogey who's sold - especially since they've been redesigning some so they fit now in some types of lights you couldn't use them in before. And they say not to use them outside, but I've had them in my outside lights for years and years and I tell you I don't miss getting up on a ladder a couple of times a year to change out a bulb, sometimes in the snow.

I'm all for eco-friendly changes that are convenient, cost effective and efficient.

The light is not the same, nor near as "warm". You're trading a longer life for environmental disaster at the other end. We need to use less mercury, not more. This is NOT an eco-friendly change.

If they're cheaper in the long run, that's reason enough. Saving money sounds pretty conservative... in the true non-political definition of the word... to me.

There's a reason why that sounds too silly to be true.
Google is friendly, btw

Yep, it is, you might learn to use it. From the EPA:

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL
Steps to Take if a CFL Breaks

Before Cleanup
•Have people and pets leave the room.
•Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
•Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
•Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb:
◦stiff paper or cardboard;
◦sticky tape;
◦damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces); and
◦a glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.

During Cleanup
•DO NOT VACUUM. Vacuuming is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. Vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
•Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder. Scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag. See the detailed cleanup instructions for more information, and for differences in cleaning up hard surfaces versus carpeting or rugs.
•Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

After Cleanup
•Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
•Next, check with your local government about disposal requirements in your area, because some localities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center. If there is no such requirement in your area, you can dispose of the materials with your household trash.
•If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

If they're cheaper in the long run, that's reason enough. Saving money sounds pretty conservative... in the true non-political definition of the word... to me.

It is, and they do save money - initially more expensive, but they last longer and use less electricity.

Never read the package have you? Might want to educate yourself first before you spew.

Yes, I have. My entire apartment is full of the things.

What it says is that when they die or are broken, you should dispose of them in a household hazard facility. But there are lots of things you should do that with: most batteries, most car oils, antifreeze, thermostats, oil paints, etc, etc, etc. It's not like you don't already have dozens of things in your home that should be disposed of in this way.

I'm familiar with the hazmat team myth. I assume it's from people who aren't literate enough to see the difference between the words "hazardous" and "hazmat."

And even just the logic of this is ridiculous. If it really required a hazmat team just to change the lightbulb, why would they sell them in stores? According to your assertion, CFL's are too dangerous to even be touched, so what company would assume the liability of selling them directly to the people? That's ludicrous.

Here's Energy Star's recommendation. I see nothing about a hazmat team.

Learn About CFLs : ENERGY STAR

Here's the EPA's guidelines about how to clean up a broken CFL. Nothing about a hazmat team. In fact, they even say that if you have neglected to clean up in the recommended way (which doesn't require any outside help), it's not really a big deal. These are just precautions.

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL | Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) | US EPA

It seems you're the one who lacks an education.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom