• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Don't forget to set your clocks back 50 years tonight!

Is it? I kind of feel like the Democrats should do something to counter the extremism of the GOP Taliban.

After all, Moscow Mitch stole two Supreme Court seats from the Democrats since 2016. It would be more than fair for the Democrats to add two more Justices to the court.
Yeah it is. It’ll inevitably become a tit-for-tat game with each side adding their partisans to the court every chance they get. It’ll make things worse than they are now and turn the court into an unelected legislature.

And so what? In hindsight he should have but at that point there was no need. After all the SC said it was a fundamental right and had been for 30 years at that point.

Obama said he would codify abortion into law when he was running for president

Do you comprehend that fact?

Register and vote in every election. There are more of us than there are of them in almost any issue. This shite has just gotten very real for millions of people that never thought about it before.

View attachment 67398619
Number one concern is the massive inflation we have. People vote their wallet/pocketbook.

People in California and New York are not going to get too worked up. They have on demand abortion.
Show up and get rid of your kid.

The Guttmacher Institute estimates that approximately 154,060 abortions took place in California during 2020.

In 2017, 105,380 abortions were provided in New York, though not all abortions that occurred in New York were provided to state residents

Yeah it is. It’ll inevitably become a tit-for-tat game with each side adding their partisans to the court every chance they get. It’ll make things worse than they are now and turn the court into an unelected legislature.

The Republicans are going to do what they want to do REGARDLESS of what the Democrats do. Hell, Jan 6 proved that.

It's obvious from what McConnell did in 2016 regarding Garland and in 2020 regarding Barrett that the Republican Party plays by a different set of rules.

And look where we are now at -- What are the Democrats gaining by being "polite" while women's rights are being taken away?

And maybe something else you don't realize....If the Republicans take over Congress in Jan 2023, the Democrats will NEVER control Congress again. The Republican Party will NEVER voluntarily give up their power again. Again, Jan 6 proved that.

Therefore, you won't have to worry about "tit-for-tat" from the Democrats when they NEVER have power in Congress again.

Register and vote in every election. There are more of us than there are of them in almost any issue. This shite has just gotten very real for millions of people that never thought about it before.

View attachment 67398619
I don't think the liberals in Colorado care all that much. After all, they can still get abortions any time they want. And they STILL are suffering from Bidenflation and face the coming recession.

How many other states like Colorado are there, hmmm?

Have to wonder why after 50 years the democrats did not pass a law to make Roe/Casey the law of the land?
They sure are raising lots of money now...... They want as much as you can send. Then maybe in 25 years they might
pass a law for you?

Obama said he would codify abortion into law when he was running for president

Do you comprehend that fact?
Long time ago so I had to refresh my memory.

You're talking about the freedom of choice act which OBama initially supported - he cosponsored it when he was in the Senate - but then walked away saying it wasn't a priority. He didn't have the votes and I assume had other things, like Obamacare, occupying his time.

Is there a point to this stroll down memory lane?

The Republicans are going to do what they want to do REGARDLESS of what the Democrats do. Hell, Jan 6 proved that.

It's obvious from what McConnell did in 2016 regarding Garland and in 2020 regarding Barrett that the Republican Party plays by a different set of rules.

And look where we are now at -- What are the Democrats gaining by being "polite" while women's rights are being taken away?

And maybe something else you don't realize....If the Republicans take over Congress in Jan 2023, the Democrats will NEVER control Congress again. The Republican Party will NEVER voluntarily give up their power again. Again, Jan 6 proved that.

Therefore, you won't have to worry about "tit-for-tat" from the Democrats when they NEVER have power in Congress again.
Just what are they proving besides attacking two capitols now, and politicians like Maxine and AOC threating violence?

That the January 6th was just a charade and a witch hunt?

Long time ago so I had to refresh my memory.

You're talking about the freedom of choice act which OBama initially supported - he cosponsored it when he was in the Senate - but then walked away saying it wasn't a priority. He didn't have the votes and I assume had other things, like Obamacare, occupying his time.

Is there a point to this stroll down memory lane?

Since you remembered Obama saying he would codify Roe vs Wade surly you can also remember he had a super majority and could of gotten anything passed

Just what are they proving besides attacking two capitols now, and politicians like Maxine and AOC threating violence?

That the January 6th was just a charade and a witch hunt?

So you think it was legal for Trump and Eastman to have Pence attempt to derail the electoral certification process on Jan 6?

Greg Jacob, Pence's legal counsel, testified that Eastman told Trump on Jan 4 that this plan was illegal and violated the Constitution. Yet, Trump and Eastman went through with it anyway.

Answer the question.

Here's your answer below. Which you won't accept, since you've been a victim of GOP Taliban propaganda your entire adult life. --

When the Republican national convention convened in Kansas City in 1976, the party’s pro-choice majority did not expect a significant challenge to their views on abortion. < snipped for brevity >

That's right, most Republican voters and most Protestant religious leaders favored abortion until the late 1970s, after Roe vs Wade. They didn't like the sexual revolution and the feminist movement, and that's when they suddenly changed their views on abortion. It had nothing to do with the "protecting the unborn" bullshit that the GOP Taliban has been feeding you for the past 45 years.
You can dispense with the stupid comments about "GOP Taliban propaganda" already. It only demeans your reply.

And besides, I'm no more a "victim" of my party's propaganda than you are of yours - very likely far less if the truth be told.

I was in my early 20's when they passed Roe v. Wade and I didn't support the decision then any more than I reject the court's decision this week. Frankly, I've never been a fan of Catholicism, but my views on the sanctity of life are in line generally with theirs, but it doesn't go much farther than that.

Moreover, I've never supported the idea that any party should somehow strategically court certain blocks of voters, just to bolster their own political benefit. Politics is, and always should be, an ideological pursuit, not a demographic one - something with which your party would vehemently disagree.

And if you think "we" haven't been fighting this decision for the past 50 years, to get it reversed - well... then I'm not the one who's been propagandized with BS all these years.

You seem to flounder under the assumption that people are not individuals and are too easily swayed by cutesy marketing of whatever ilk it may be, unable to think for themselves. You couldn't be more profoundly wrong.

So you think it was legal for Trump and Eastman to have Pence attempt to derail the electoral certification process on Jan 6?

Greg Jacob, Pence's legal counsel, testified that Eastman told Trump on Jan 4 that this plan was illegal and violated the Constitution. Yet, Trump and Eastman went through with it anyway.

Answer the question.
What does this have anything to do with my post that Obama said he would codify Roe vs Wade while running for office and he had a super majority?

You can dispense with the stupid comments about "GOP Taliban propaganda" already. It only demeans your reply.

And besides, I'm no more a "victim" of my party's propaganda than you are of yours - very likely far less if the truth be told.

I was in my early 20's when they passed Roe v. Wade and I didn't support the decision then any more than I reject the court's decision this week. Frankly, I've never been a fan of Catholicism, but my views on the sanctity of life are in line generally with theirs, but it doesn't go much farther than that.

Moreover, I've never supported the idea that any party should somehow strategically court certain blocks of voters, just to bolster their own political benefit. Politics is, and always should be, an ideological pursuit, not a demographic one - something with which your party would vehemently disagree.

And if you think "we" haven't been fighting this decision for the past 50 years, to get it reversed - well... then I'm not the one who's been propagandized with BS all these years.

You seem to flounder under the assumption that people are not individuals and are too easily swayed by cutesy marketing of whatever ilk it may be, unable to think for themselves. You couldn't be more profoundly wrong.

I cited a scholarly article and you have NOTHING but your worthless opinion.

The ****ing 1976 Republican Party Platform SUPPORTED ABORTION!! I could care less about what you've personally been doing the past 50 years.

Yes, you are 100% a victim of GOP Taliban propaganda.

I cited a scholarly article and you have NOTHING but your worthless opinion.

The ****ing 1976 Republican Party Platform SUPPORTED ABORTION!! I could care less about what you've personally been doing the past 50 years.

Yes, you are 100% a victim of GOP Taliban propaganda.
LOL

Sigh...

What does this have anything to do with my post that Obama said he would codify Roe vs Wade while running for office and he had a super majority?

You just asked me about Jan 6. Or do you just want to continue being a troll?

Answer my question or just go run and hide like you did before.

This is the first time in its history that the Supreme Court has removed a fundamental right, the right of a woman to make her own decisions regarding her health and well-being.

The Court is imposing its religious view on the American people.

The Court determined that the government is in control of a woman's health when it involves a pregnancy. The woman and her doctor do not decide her fate. The state does.
CNN reports, "Abortion-rights protesters continued to voice their fury and anguish nationwide Saturday following the seismic ruling by the US Supreme Court to eliminate the federal constitutional right to an abortion.

"On Friday, the Court overturned the 1973 ruling known as Roe v. Wade, sparking protests that are expected to extend throughout the weekend.

"Smaller gatherings of people celebrating the ruling are also taking place.

"As states started enacting abortion bans and some clinics stopped offering the procedure, abortion-rights advocates took to the streets in major cities.

"More demonstrations are expected today and Sunday in cities big and small, including in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Illinois, Texas, New Mexico, California, and many others."

Coming on the heels of the Court's decision to expand gun rights in New York after the shooting massacres in Buffalo and New York, the extreme unpopularity of the Supreme Court's religious decision regarding a woman's right to determine her health and well-being destiny has created chaos across our country, and there is no end in sight.

All that makes Justice Samuel Alito's remarks extraordinarily ironic. He said, "Roe was egregiously wrong from the start. Its reasoning was exceptionally weak [from a religious point of view], and the decision has had damaging consequences. And far from bringing about a national settlement of the abortion issue, Roe and Casey have inflamed debate and deepened division.

Incredible! Obviously, Alito is not very cognizant of the world around him. He has lived in the crystal palace far too long.

It was the Supreme Court's decision that fostered "damaging consequences" and "inflamed debate and deepened division!"

At the same time, a former Republican President and the current leader of the Republican Party is being investigated by a Congressional hearing for the alleged crime of leading a coup attempt to overthrow the elected government.

Fostering damaging consequences, inflaming debate, and deepening division are what far-right conservatives do. The proof is in their actions.

These same far-right conservatives expect to win control of Congress in November. As can be seen, if that happens, our country will be in serious trouble.

You're dismissed.
You dismissed yourself with your worthless reply.

Lame ass anecdotal "evidence" is all lightweight members of the GOP Taliban ever have.

What's next -- Are you going to tell me what your Uncle Goober did 42 years ago to fight abortion?

it's not a matter of being "polite" it's a matter of not making thing worse.

McConnell is a sleazy scumbag as are his cronies in the party - no argument from me. But expanding the court and turning it for real into a 3rd house of Congress won't fix any problems just create more of them. Biden is right to reject the idea.

Why do you think Democrats will never be a majority in Congress if they lose in November? fwiw I would have said it's a sure thing Republicans would take Congress back until this fiasco with Roe. It's going to bite Republicans in the ass.

View attachment 67398619
SORRY, BUT ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.........

Since you remembered Obama saying he would codify Roe vs Wade surly you can also remember he had a super majority and could of gotten anything passed
I don't remember if he had a supermajority but I'll take your word for it.

But the problem is the fact that he didn't may make my point stronger. It doesn't in any way make it weaker.

If a President with a supermajority can't or won't get a bill passed what does that say about a President who won't or can't get a bill passed with just a majority? It should be much easier with a supermajority right?

it's not a matter of being "polite" it's a matter of not making thing worse.
What I'm telling you is it's going to be worse ANYWAY. And what is "worse" than what's going on right now with Roe vs Wade, anyway?

McConnell and the Republican Party don't give two shits about what the Democrats do or don't do. They are going to take what they want when they want it, regardless of what the Democrats do.

McConnell is a sleazy scumbag as are his cronies in the party - no argument from me. But expanding the court and turning it for real into a 3rd house of Congress won't fix any problems just create more of them. Biden is right to reject the idea.

Why do you think Democrats will never be a majority in Congress if they lose in November? fwiw I would have said it's a sure thing Republicans would take Congress back until this fiasco with Roe. It's going to bite Republicans in the ass.
What honestly makes you think the Democrats will ever have power again if they lose in Nov? Have you been watching the Jan 6 hearings?

This goes way beyond Trump. The Republican Party and their voters will not accept election defeat anymore. It's that simple. They will cheat and do whatever they have to do to remain in power.

Back
Top Bottom