• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Don't burn the Koran in Britain!

No member of the left have ever been charged under this law .

Which is a perfect illustration that my observations are absolutely spot on.

THank you for providing such a strong argument to shine the light on the deplorable state of hypocritical political correctness in Britain.

Glad to hear the Brits have more sense than the Yanks.

You misspelled the word "dogmatism", Paris.

It doesn't start with an S.

Which is a perfect illustration that my observations are absolutely spot on.

Yes.
Thanks for cutting and pasting certain sections of my reply to suit your agenda.

Don't come Britain if you don't like it, I assure you. We won't have been deprived of anything by your opinion.

Yes.
Thanks for cutting and pasting certain sections of my reply to suit your agenda.

Don't come Britain if you don't like it, I assure you. We won't have been deprived of anything by your opinion.

So, what is my agenda, Laila?

Instead of supporting the burning of books, you should try reading some.

Fahreinheit 451. I suppose you need this text explained to you. So here:

book burning « The Burning Platform

I have not supported the burning of books here, as I have only pointed out the hypocrisy of the system. As to the specific book, I first read it before you were born.

Thanks for the personal attack, though. Good to know that I need to have you explain things to me.

So, what is my agenda, Laila?

Honestly to put it as politely as I can, I get the impression it is to insult/demonize anything to do with the left, Islam and/or Europe.

All 3 in a good day :shrug:

Honestly to put it as politely as I can, I get the impression it is to insult/demonize anything to do with the left, Islam and/or Europe.

All 3 in a good day :shrug:

As opposed to your agenda of taking over Europe?

Equally accurate .:2wave:

As opposed to your agenda of taking over Europe?

Equally accurate .:2wave:

I do plan world domination

I'm not ashamed of that

Last edited:
I have not supported the burning of books here, as I have only pointed out the hypocrisy of the system. As to the specific book, I first read it before you were born.

Thanks for the personal attack, though. Good to know that I need to have you explain things to me.

You could always read it again, it won't hurt:)

"For those who have not read the book since high school, or have never read the novel, here is a quick summary of Fahrenheit 451:

Guy Montag is a fireman who burns books in a futuristic American city. In this dystopian world, firemen start fires rather than putting them out..."

"For those who have not read the book since high school, or have never read the novel, here is a quick summary of Fahrenheit 451:

Guy Montag is a fireman who burns books in a futuristic American city. In this dystopian world, firemen start fires rather than putting them out..."

It was well before high school when I read it, Paris. I also read Animal Farm, 1984 and Brave New World by the time I was 14. By the time I had finished High School, I had added "We" by Zamyatin, "It can't Happen here" by Lewis, The Trial and other Kafka, and much of the catalogue of P.K. Dick, John Brunner and other science fiction writers who also explored dystopian futures.

What I happened to pay attention to, while you most obviously did not, is that the firefighters in F 451 were agents of the state. Indeed, if you know anything about dystopian literature, you would realize it's all ABOUT the relationship between the individual and the state -- the latter acting invariably to limit the freedom of expression in the former. What you also fail to realize is that the case of burning a koran, as odious as it it, happens to be an action of expressing a belief by an individual, and in this case the state is acting to PREVENT such.

For one who tries to puff himmself up by denigrating the comprehension of another, you certainly didn't learn the actual lesson provided by the book you referenced.

Well, I can't add too much to that, I guess.

I can and will do...

Have you ever watched a constrictor kill its prey? The popular misconception is that they crush the animal. Nope, doesn't happen that way. They put the squeeze on the prey, but it is the animals own breathing that kills it. When it exhales, the coils tighten. Then it can't expand and breathe in. The next exhalation, and the coils tighten a little more.

That is Islam. They confront. If you exhale, i.e. compromise, give them some room, they don't stay where they were. They don't reach an accommodation with you that will allow you to maintain a status quo. They take up more and the pressure is on. If you accommodate them again, they just tighten their coils.

Eventually, you don't have any more room. You're out of breath. And shortly thereafter, you'll be consumed.

That... in nutshell is whats happening in Europe

Paris, in no place in this thread (or any other as far as I'm aware of) did Gardener say that he supports the burning of books.
He was however standing on people's right to express themselves, on the people's freedom of speech.
Sort of like "I disagree with what you're saying but I will die for your right to say it".

The freedom of speech is one of if not the most important value in Democracy, and you don't seem to be understanding its meaning and its importance in the functioning of a civilized society.,
When you take the freedom of speech away from people in such crude manners you engage in actions that do not fit those of a civilized society.
I understand the objection one would have to the burning of a book he regards to as holy, but a burning of a holy book is an action taken against a religion, and it's completely legitimate to oppose a religion.

On this specific occasion I've yet to learn whether or not did the koran burners actually engage in racism as stated, as I was unable to find a source that refers to such remarks.

i am looking up some dictionaries whether there is a word to describe that kinda action, if not , i will try to 'create' a word , or i had better get some help from the jews, after all ther are good at that...

i am looking up some dictionaries whether there is a word to describe that kinda action, if not , i will try to 'create' a word , or i had better get some help from the jews, after all ther are good at that...

Talking about racial incitement.

The racist EDL scum broke long established British law. I hope they get jail time.

The long established law is bollocks. The UK is a liberal democracy. It is a society that cherishes freedom of expression. Well you can't have freedom of expression if the things you don't like are banned. With freedom you take the bitter with the sweet.

You could help me on my quest as Queen of the World.

Thanks in advance

Only if I can be your evil advisor, secretly plotting to usurp your power.

Well if that's the case it does change the situation, but is this the case amongst all of those who were arrested?

The pub landlord / barman was arrested as the incident happened on his property. I don't have details on every single one though.

Would they be arrested if they were not bragging about being white English and referring to the white race/English ethnicity as superior?

There's no specifics about superiority of the white english - the pub itself has been watched for a while as there are many known racists, EDL members etc who go there. It's been a meeting point and this incident may have sparked off a police (over)reaction.

-- So what you're saying here is that a person can indeed burn a quran (or any other holy book) in the UK without getting arrested for it?

The laws relate to religious hatred - the police case may be that these guys were trying to incite hatred - some reports say religious hatred and others say racial - however where the protections of free speech end is if there is a suspicion of incitement to violence.

No, we have this thing called the first amendment.

Weren't they inspired by the New Yorker who burnt a Koran recently? The First Amendment didn't stop him being fired as a consequence for his free speech...

Weren't they inspired by the New Yorker who burnt a Koran recently? The First Amendment didn't stop him being fired as a consequence for his free speech...

You really have absolutely no idea what the term freedom of speech means, do you?

The issue of the first amendment frames the relationship between the citizen and the state, and not between two citizens. In the case of Great Britain arresting people it was an action of the state, while in the case of the firing it was the action of an individual.

duh!

You really have absolutely no idea what the term freedom of speech means, do you?

The issue of the first amendment frames the relationship between the citizen and the state, and not between two citizens. In the case of Great Britain arresting people it was an action of the state, while in the case of the firing it was the action of an individual.

duh!

Yea and neither do you. The US government constantly censors its media and curb the freedom of speech of artists. All in the holy cause of morality! Freaking hypocrites.. there is no such thing as total freedom of speech for anyone and never has been.

Back
Top Bottom