• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Don't Ask Don't Tell" Soldier Survey... Change it no matter what?

Check thread and read responses carefully

• Total voters

Jucon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The Pentagon recently sent out an Email survey to our troops to get their opinions on Don't Ask Don't Tell.

Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey - CNN.com

If a majority of the troops are opposed to allowing gays to serve in the military, should the government still change the rule?

This is purely hypothetical. If you have no opinion or don't know, please only say that in a post.

These options may be a little confusing, so here is my example response:
I am against DADT, but if 60% or more soldiers are in favor of DADT, don't change it. So I'd choose Option C.

Please read each response carefully and choose which percentage would effect your opinion:
A. I am against DADT, and it should be repealed no matter what.
B. I am against DADT, but if 75% or more soldiers are in favor of DADT, don't repeal it
C. I am against DADT, but if 50% or more soldiers are in favor of DADT, don't repeal it.
D. I am against DADT, but if 25% or more soldiers are in favor of DADT, don't repeal it.
E. I am against DADT, but if 1-24% of soldiers are in favor fo DADT, don't repeal it.

F. I am in favor of DADT, and it should not be repealed no matter what.
G. I am in favor of DADT, but if 75% or more soldiers are against DADT, repeal it.
H. I am in favor of DADT, but if 50% or more soldiers are against DADT, repeal it.
I. I am in favor of DADT, but if 25% or more soldiers are against DADT, repeal it.
J. I am in favor of DADT, but if 1-24% of soldiers are against DADT, repeal it.

If there is a specific percentage that would effect your opinion, feel free to talk about it in a post.

Last edited:
While I am waiting for you to get the poll results typed in, I don't see where the survey asks if people support repeal of DADT, it asks how a repeal would effect various aspects of military life and readiness. The repeal is almost certainly going to happen(and should), I think the survey is to determine what types of training will be needed, and find potential problems in advance and solve them before they become problems.

A majority of the population was against integrating the schools too, and they were wrong. Just because a majority believes something doesn't mean it's right, especially when dealing with rights. The founding fathers were worried about the "tyranny of the majority" for reasons just like this.

While I am waiting for you to get the poll results typed in, I don't see where the survey asks if people support repeal of DADT, it asks how a repeal would effect various aspects of military life and readiness. The repeal is almost certainly going to happen(and should), I think the survey is to determine what types of training will be needed, and find potential problems in advance and solve them before they become problems.

True. I'm still curious how people feel one way or the other, even if we may not find out how our soldiers feel about DADT.

This poll hurts my eyes.

Haha, sorry.

As one who served, I didn't care where you stuck your junk. If you don't make your service about your genitalia, Don't care.

I think some of our users need to take a class on creating a proper poll.

A majority of the population was against integrating the schools too, and they were wrong. Just because a majority believes something doesn't mean it's right, especially when dealing with rights. The founding fathers were worried about the "tyranny of the majority" for reasons just like this.

You sum it up very well. Rights aren't something that should be subject to or at the mercy of popularity polls. Wrong is wrong even when "the majority" agrees with it.

True. I'm still curious how people feel one way or the other, even if we may not find out how our soldiers feel about DADT.

When I served, we were never asked out opinions on changes, we were just told that this is how it would be. That is appropriate. It's not up to rank and file military people to decide policy, it's up to the chain of command.

When I served, we were never asked out opinions on changes, we were just told that this is how it would be. That is appropriate. It's not up to rank and file military people to decide policy, it's up to the chain of command.

Definitely agree. It's not up to the soldier to decide what he or she thinks. Whatever the military decides to do is what they will have to accept.

Hopefully they will repeal it. Maybe we can progress this whole 'gay marriage' debate through the military's action. Perhaps it will bring about more public acceptance of reality.

Last edited:
As I am no longer of an age or health to be able to serve in the Military, broadly speaking 'I could not give a damn'.
However were I of serving age and actually serving I would prefer NOT to serve alongside a practicing Homosexual.
Having said that as a personal preference, if I was not given a choice but simply told to serve, then unless I were an Officer, I would simply have to obey, but if one got too friendly i would kill him.

As I am no longer of an age or health to be able to serve in the Military, broadly speaking 'I could not give a damn'.
However were I of serving age and actually serving I would prefer NOT to serve alongside a practicing Homosexual.
Having said that as a personal preference, if I was not given a choice but simply told to serve, then unless I were an Officer, I would simply have to obey, but if one got too friendly i would kill him.

Officer's don't have to follow orders?

you're that insecure that you'd commit murder?

Officer's don't have to follow orders?
juju is apparently going to become president.

As far as I know, that's the only person in the entire CoC that doesn't take orders from anyone.

you're that insecure that you'd commit murder?
I think he's saying that, "If one got too friendly without my consent, I would kill him."

Otherwise, I see no reason why he’d kill the guy, or at least no reasonable reason.

but if one got too friendly i would kill him.

I always find it funny when a straight guy goes this route. Most of the gay men I knew that have served have been quite capable of killing a man with their bare hands if he got violent. Gay men, on the whole, work on their physiques tirelessly and every one of them I have known in the military had a preference for contact and combat sports. They were more "manly" than their straight counterparts.

Just my observation. Your mileage may vary.

I always find it funny when a straight guy goes this route. Most of the gay men I knew that have served have been quite capable of killing a man with their bare hands if he got violent. Gay men, on the whole, work on their physiques tirelessly and every one of them I have known in the military had a preference for contact and combat sports. They were more "manly" than their straight counterparts.

Just my observation. Your mileage may vary.

... Whatever. You know you want me sugar bear.

... Whatever. You know you want me sugar bear.

That's me. I am a pretty average guy on that scale but I didn't make a career out of the military. But, there was a certain appeal to the masculine cameraderie I had while serving for that brief time. And part of it was the edginess of knowing the guy right next to me might flip out and start a fight if he knew where I was, as rev put it, sticking my junk when I was off base.

And let me add, if its a man's man I am going for, it would be one of the gay soldiers because they tend more toward hyper-masculinity than the straight ones I knew.

Last edited:
That's me. I am a pretty average guy on that scale but I didn't make a career out of the military. But, there was a certain appeal to the masculine cameraderie I had while serving for that brief time. And part of it was the edginess of knowing the guy right next to me might flip out and start a fight if he knew where I was, as rev put it, sticking my junk when I was off base.

And let me add, if its a man's man I am going for, it would be one of the gay soldiers because they tend more toward hyper-masculinity than the straight ones I knew.

.... It takes some gay ass cojones to say you don't care about about what gay people do in their spare time while being convinced they're just waiting for the right moment to do you. Masculine insecurity at its best.

The homophobic bigots that gave us DADT should be ashamed of themselves.

I support DADT, only because I consider it equal ground. Just as you shouldn't flaunt homosexuality, neither should you flaunt heterosexuality.

I'm as much against men tying their shirts at the belly button and speaking with a lisp as much as I am boorish, rowdy straight guys shouting to the heavens the piece of ass they nailed during short leave last night. If you want to communicate it privately within your own circles, feel free.

Sexuality is not part of the military in either aspect. Whether you like pole or hole, keep it to yourself to best keep an orderly unit.

I support DADT, only because I consider it equal ground. Just as you shouldn't flaunt homosexuality, neither should you flaunt heterosexuality.

I agree that people should not bring up sexuality at the job, but DADT goes so far as to affect a soldier's personal life. That aspect of it is wrong.

Well, I disagree with some of the more militant actions of those "outed", but the premise of the legislation I still agree with. Sometimes they go overboard in punishing people; I don't disagree with that.

To make up for it, I suggest a court martial for those heteros who shoot off their mouths of sexual conquest in a public way.

Back
Top Bottom