• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donations

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
What happens when donations exceed the $ 290 monthly target?

Do they rollover or does the staff kick up their heels?………;)

The extra stays in our PayPal account. In the past, we came up short of our donation goal on occasion. Fortunately, we had the extra funds from where the donations exceeded the monthly goal to cover the shortfall most of the time, but not always. The money that is donated is only used for server and software for DP.

About what is the right amount to donate yearly?
There isn't really a "right amount". We are funded entirely by user donations, which is why you don't see ads anywhere on the site. Fortunately, we have quite a few who have been kind enough to contribute towards the cost of maintaining DP. We're not struggling to pay the server costs at this time like we once were. If you wish to donate, donate what you can, but every little bit helps and we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the kindness of so many members.

You also have the ability to donate anonymously, which we have a few that do.

Would like to add that the overage is used for upgrades and licensing. A good example is last weekend we had a major memory upgrade. The site "pops" now and feels great. Plus, our nightly backup's only take about 15 mins compared 1.5 hours!

Thank you!

Would like to add that the overage is used for upgrades and licensing. A good example is last weekend we had a major memory upgrade. The site "pops" now and feels great. Plus, our nightly backup's only take about 15 mins compared 1.5 hours!

Thank you!
I recall years back when the donations did not meet the costs. I get the feeling you and others ponied up?
I noted that upgrades are coming faster and easy to see these cost money above monthly costs

I think when the Monthly Donor option became available, it was easier for folks to pony up ten bucks a month instead of a $120 chunk all at once, and it seemed like the forum's financial crunch began to ease a bit. I could be wrong, of course, but I know it was easier for me. :)

I would hope that if they have a red letter month that there's free pizza and some six packs for everyone.
I mean...gosh, it's not as if they have a regular parade of "ten thousand dollar months", do they?

So...if the monthly nut hits $329, go get some beer or Chinese takeout. 🦐👲🍛🍻

If, on the other hand, you're starting to tote up some real revenue, I'd hope they do the smart thing and go full "nonprofit corporation" and fritter the extra
dough away on a nicer server or anything else that makes DP a smooth well oiled machine.

A friend of mine started "EcoNews - the nation's only regularly scheduled environmental newscast" way back in the early 1980's and thanks to her I won a
Cable Ace Award (like an Emmy) and of course, so did she.
EcoNews is run by "Environmental Directions, Inc" a nonprofit, from which she pays herself a salary, and the rest used to get sunk into more equipment...but
now she's set up a foundation, so any extra or leftover grant money she gets every year now goes into the foundation, to help other eco types do their thing.

I would hope that if they have a red letter month that there's free pizza and some six packs for everyone.
So...if the monthly nut hits $329, go get some beer or Chinese takeout. 🦐👲🍛🍻
I have been receiving beer and pizza gift cards, now I know where they came from,thanks to everyone

I have been receiving beer and pizza gift cards, now I know where they came from,thanks to everyone

(y)(y)(y)

Hey, just because an outfit lists itself as a "nonprofit" doesn't mean that you can't make money, it just means your CORPORATION isn't allowed to post a PROFIT, that's all.
Lots of nonprofit outfits pay mortgages, car payments, utility bills, groceries, health insurance and what have you.
They're listed as "operating costs" and quite rightly too, because if you're devoting thirty or forty hours a week to running the damn thing, you still have to eat and keep the lights on.

I would not mind one bit if the owners of DP are paying themselves a stipend off the donations whenever it goes over $290.
I'm sure it's HUGE PITA to keep the DP-machine running and well lubricated.
And while I don't know if they pay for remote hosting or if they have their own server parked in the basement, either way it's expensive.
If the latter, that ain't cheap. The hardware is pricey and so is the business grade internet pipe.
And maintaining it is real work.

Beer and pizza is the very least they deserve.

I suggest you get swish:). (I know, not in the US yet, but I am sure an american multicompany will steal the idea soon) It is the best way to give or recieve money for smaller amounts. You just need to connect your phone to swish (which you connect to a bank account of your choice and you can recieve and send money, just knowing the phonenumbers(both need to have swish off course) It is unbeatable. In Sweden even stores and resturants use it. You identify yourself through a bank ID you have on your phone.

Simple the best....

Swish

I suggest you get swish:). (I know, not in the US yet, but I am sure an american multicompany will steal the idea soon) It is the best way to give or recieve money for smaller amounts. You just need to connect your phone to swish (which you connect to a bank account of your choice and you can recieve and send money, just knowing the phonenumbers(both need to have swish off course) It is unbeatable. In Sweden even stores and resturants use it. You identify yourself through a bank ID you have on your phone.

Simple the best....

Swish
We have had swish for quite some time:sneaky:
"But as one official pointed out, you'd be foolish not to wash the barrel out first."

Didnt know that. It is a swedish system launched in 2012. So that would mean you hade it almost from start.
Old rum/whisky barrels were put to good use
Myself I will not use a phone for payments

Old rum/whisky barrels were put to good use
Myself I will not use a phone for payments
You will change your mind. I promise....;)

And the american copycat will tell you it is an american innovation so you will feel that your country and you are the ones driving the earth forward:whistle:

And the american copycat will tell you it is an american innovation so you will feel that your country and you are the ones driving the earth forward:whistle:
FFS, Venmo and PayPal predate Swish. If anything, Swish is the copycat.

I am Canadian
Reason the flag does not show is I use a VPN, mainly the US servers, so I had to disable the flag option
No work around on that

FFS, Venmo and PayPal predate Swish. If anything, Swish is the copycat.
Oh FFs, Venmo and Paypal is nothing like swish;) It is much more simple and direct.

(the resaon I published it on this thread is because I don't use paypal it is just to complicated and the risks and complications are to high...) I can't send from my charge card and I don't want to use creditcards online so (to high limits).... I can't donate...)

Oh FFs, Venmo and Paypal is nothing like swish;) It is much more simple and direct.

(the resaon I published it on this thread is because I don't use paypal it is just to complicated and the risks and complications are to high...) I can't send from my charge card and I don't want to use creditcards online so (to high limits).... I can't donate...)
We have literally had 0 issues with PayPal. You can donate through PayPal without even having to create an account. PayPal is very secure.

We have literally had 0 issues with PayPal. You can donate through PayPal without even having to create an account. PayPal is very secure.
Well, I am sorry to say I do not agree with you. I got my account closed without warning (discovered it on my own one day when I wanted to use it after a long break) and they "stole" the money that was in my account (not much , just about 100 dollars). I am not opening a new account.

Just waiting for my beer & pizza gift cards
They seem to be late

Well, I am sorry to say I do not agree with you. I got my account closed without warning (discovered it on my own one day when I wanted to use it after a long break) and they "stole" the money that was in my account (not much , just about 100 dollars). I am not opening a new account.
To donate here you don't have to open a PayPal account.

A donation to this forum is the absolutely best entertain bang for the buck. Even if you count your post count history as only 1 minute each - which is far on the low side - figure how much time of your life you spend here? Every 1000 posts is 167 hours! 10,000 is 1,670 hours. And to be realistic you need to at least double that. That equally over a years worth of 40 hour work weeks for a 10,000 post history. Almost 2 1/2 years of 40 hour work weeks for 20,000 post counts. And that is greatly under estimating for most of us.

So pony up. You definitely are getting your money's worth.

To donate here you don't have to open a PayPal account.

I donate thru a 3rd party for a variety of reasons and they use a credit card processed thru the forum's Paypal account, not directly out of a Paypal account.

Back
Top Bottom