• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Tusk: 'Turkey best example of how to treat refugees'

Camlon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
EU Council President Donald Tusk has told a conference in Gaziantep that Turkey is the "best example in the world of how to treat refugees".

Speaking during a visit that seeks to bolster a controversial EU-Turkey deal, Mr Tusk also said "no-one has the right to lecture Turkey on what they should do."
Donald Tusk: 'Turkey best example of how to treat refugees' - BBC News

Yeah, let us become like Turkey. Let us give all refugees guest status, ban them from working, not give them access to our welfare system, do not allow their kids go to our schools, give them only enough for food, and host them in terrible tent camps.

IMO, this turkey deal just show how pathetic EU has become.

I wouldn't suggest they are the "best" example of how refugees should be treated but when you take into account the sheer number of those seeking refuge, the Turkish state has at least attempted to provide aid within its means.

They've done a whole lot more than any other neighbouring Country, that's for sure, and at the very least they should be acknowledged and thanked for that.

I wouldn't suggest they are the "best" example of how refugees should be treated but when you take into account the sheer number of those seeking refuge, the Turkish state has at least attempted to provide aid within its means.

They've done a whole lot more than any other neighbouring Country, that's for sure, and at the very least they should be acknowledged and thanked for that.

Right! Turkey's instigation of arms peddling, training, and supporting the warring factions in Syria and Iraq has created a great deal of the refugee problem, so we gonna give 'em a nice pat on the back for creating the problem. Screw Turkey, really Erdogan. Turks are probably just fine. Bad scumbag leadership that has been supporting ISIS..

Right! Turkey's instigation of arms peddling, training, and supporting the warring factions in Syria and Iraq has created a great deal of the refugee problem, so we gonna give 'em a nice pat on the back for creating the problem. Screw Turkey, really Erdogan. Turks are probably just fine. Bad scumbag leadership that has been supporting ISIS..

Uhhh....I'm not suggesting that their Foreign Policy activities are without problems but now that many of their cities have been completely ****ed up and are uninhabitable, I'd rather they be in Turkey than in hundreds of pieces in Aleppo or Homs.

As a side note, do you support housing Syrian refugees in your Country?

Yeah, let us become like Turkey. Let us give all refugees guest status, ban them from working, not give them access to our welfare system, do not allow their kids go to our schools, give them only enough for food, and host them in terrible tent camps.

WTH are you on about here?

If there's anything pathetic in this issue, it's how the overall EU compares to Turkey wrt handling of the refugee crisis. That's actually what Tusk is certainly implying if not actually critically outlining.

Whatever one may think of Erdogan and his bunch (and I'm absolutely no friend of that lot), spouting forth on the less than optimal plight that Turkey offers the refugees (because that is in most cases all it can offer) is pretty hypocritical when a sizeable number of EU countries refuse to even take any one of them. Or, in those cases where a certain number is teeth-grittingly accepted, taking a ridiculously small number.

Apart from which you might wish to inform yourself better on the overall situation of Syrian refugees in Turkey. The claim that they're all interned in camps is pure hogwash (round about 10 pct are actually in camps). That they're banned from working is pure hogwash. That the kids are banned from attending schools is pure hogwash. On the contrary, Turkey provides schooling in Arabic, free of charge. It provides medical aid free of charge.

That's not even mentioning that the Turkish people hold nowhere near the xenophobia that rules within the EU, from "Easterners" that show it in blatant openness like Poland and Hungary, to those desperately trying to moderate the apparent like Germany, to those that pee themselves the moment somebody in Calais coughs.:roll:

The million refugees of last year that your ilk go into paranoid frenzy over are nothing compared to the at least two and a half million that are in Turkey at this moment.

What definitely IS pathetic is spouting forth on a situation one clearly has not taken the slightest trouble in investigating upon, to then present a post as unthinking as this one quoted above.

Last edited:

Amen!!!

They haven't done more than Lebanon, thats the country they really should thank, not the country who has supported ISIS, and who has such terrible conditions that the refugees are desperate to flee Turkey. Lebanon has taking in way more than Turkey as a proportion of their population.

The amount of refugees taken in by Turkey is not very large if you put it in context. Turkey taking in 2-3 million refugees, is like Sweden taking in 300K from Finland over a few years. This would be honerable if they provided for them, but they don't despite getting support from abroad. In fact Turkey has even pushed Syrian refugees back to Syra.

If this was just a thanks, then I wouldn't complain, but telling them that they are the best example of how to treat refugees is beyond pathetic. We all know why he is saying it, it is not because he truly believes it, but because EU is bending over backwards to please Turkey.

Last edited:
They haven't done more than Lebanon, thats the country they really should thank, not the country who has supported ISIS, and who has such terrible conditions that the refugees are desperate to flee Turkey. Lebanon has taking in way more than Turkey as a proportion of their population.

The amounts Turkey are taking in are not very large if you put it in context. Turkey taking in 2-3 million refugees, is like Sweden taking in 300K from Finland over a few years. This would be honerable if they provided for them, but they don't despite getting support from abroad. In fact Turkey has even pushed Syrian refugees back to Syra.

If this was just a thanks, then I wouldn't complain, but telling them that they are the best example of how to treat refugees is beyond pathetic. We all know why he is saying it, it is not because he truly believes it, but because EU is bending over backwards to please Turkey.

If you want turn this into a contest, then please tell me how many refugees the whole continental Europe let in. Why does the continental Europe push it so hard to kick refugees back into Turkey with that illegal and unethical deal?

Syrian regime, Russians, Iranians and also Kurds with help of Europe and US have all bombed whoever they could over the excuse of fighting ISIS, resulting in more and more refugees, whom Turkey at the moment are taking care of , instead of talking about some values in their comfortable chairs.

This Syrian mess also has showed us the true colors of people and countries. The values Europe always praises and claims to follow are seen to be only on paper and in mouths for poetic speeches.

If you want turn this into a contest, then please tell me how many refugees the whole continental Europe let in. Why does the continental Europe push it so hard to kick refugees back into Turkey with that illegal and unethical deal?
Not turning it to a contest, just pointing out that Lebanon did more, so it is not true that Turkey has done the most. So if they wanted to thank a country, they should have thanked Lebanon. At least they should have mentioned both.

But they didn't just thank Turkey, they even claimed Turkey is the best example of how to treat refugees. If that is the case, then maybe we should model out refugee policies after Turkey. Oh... right, that would be considered inhumane.

Syrian regime, Russians, Iranians and also Kurds with help of Europe and US have all bombed whoever they could over the excuse of fighting ISIS, resulting in more and more refugees, whom Turkey at the moment are taking care of , instead of talking about some values in their comfortable chairs.
So we should just let ISIS take over the whole Syria? Also, it is factually incorrect that ISIS bombing has led to a lot of refugees, most of them came due to the fighting between rebels and Assad. These rebels are supported by Turkey.

And Turkey is not taking care of them, the only thing they are doing is letting them stay, and giving them the absolute minimum. If conditions were better, then you wouldn't see so many refugees risk their lives to get to the EU.

So what? Quite apart from the fact that refugees in Lebanon are far worse off than those in Turkey (someting you also clearly don't bother researching in your inappropriate comparisons) Turkey has taken in a helluva lot more in proportion to population than the whole EU has in this crisis.
The amounts Turkey are taking in are not very large if you put it in context.
Balderdash. The context here, if you showed yourself capable of even seeing it, is that Turkey has taken in a helluva lot more than the whole EU currently has, and with less screeching about it than your ilk promotes thruout Europe.
Turkey taking in 2-3 million refugees, is like Sweden taking in 300K from Finland over a few years.
What an absolutely silly analogy.
This would be honerable if they provided for them, but they don't despite getting support from abroad.
That they do not provide for them in the manner most desireable may be so. It's the height of hypocrisy though for anyone in the EU to go griping about that.

And you might provide some figures, while you're at it, at what help from abroad Turkey gets so far.
In fact Turkey has even pushed Syrian refugees back to Syra.
That's about the only thing you've posted so far that seems at least plausible. Even if there's no third party confirmation, let alone an exact figure available.
If this was just a thanks, then I wouldn't complain, but telling them that they are the best example of how to treat refugees is beyond pathetic.
One may question the superlative by all means, what remains pathetic however is those that (like you) are opposed to any more refugees in Europe (after all, according to you they're on the verge of raping the hell out of Oslo), going ape with hypocrisy in criticism of others when they'd have enough on their hands in looking at themselves.
We all know why he is saying it, it is not because he truly believes it, but because EU is bending over backwards to please Turkey.
"We" would include you and that means that "we" DO NOT know what Tusk truly believes, we can merely speculate.

Not turning it to a contest, just pointing out that Lebanon did more, so it is not true that Turkey has done the most. So if they wanted to thank a country, they should have thanked Lebanon. At least they should have mentioned both.

But they didn't just thank Turkey, they even claimed Turkey is the best example of how to treat refugees. If that is the case, then maybe we should model out refugee policies after Turkey. Oh... right, that would be considered inhumane.

Have you read The UN reports over Turkey dealing with refugees? If no, please read.

So we should just let ISIS take over the whole Syria? Also, it is factually incorrect that ISIS bombing has led to a lot of refugees, most of them came due to the fighting between rebels and Assad. These rebels are supported by Turkey.

So We should let Russia bomb civilians to get a big base near the sea in Syria; We should let Iran kill people to keep the Assad regime, I mean Shia dictator; We should arm Kurdish terrorists to kill and do ethnic cleansing of place captured by them; but damn ISIS!

And Turkey is not taking care of them, the only thing they are doing is letting them stay, and giving them the absolute minimum. If conditions were better, then you wouldn't see so many refugees risk their lives to get to the EU.

There are Syrian students in universities, primary schools in Turkey free of charge; Syrian refugees working in Turkey legally; Syrian families treated in Turkish Hospitals free of charge. If those are not called as taking care of , then what?

Will you please read some reports before talking?

So he actually meant "Turkey best example of how to treat refugees, except for Lebanon".

Or do you actually think Turkey has done the best job?

That's about the only thing you've posted so far that seems at least plausible. Even if there's no third party confirmation, let alone an exact figure available.
Funny how you even defend Turkey even on this issue.

I wonder what you would have said, if an european country returned refugees directly to Syria.

One may question the superlative by all means, what remains pathetic however is those that (like you) are opposed to any more refugees in Europe (after all, according to you they're on the verge of raping the hell out of Oslo), going ape with hypocrisy in criticism of others when they'd have enough on their hands in looking at themselves. "We" would include
Nice strawman, another useless post.

Last edited:
Maybe it escapes your attention that Tusk wasn't visiting Lebanon, he was visiting Turkey. Not that I'd disagree on it being appropriate to thank Lebanon as well. And while you may want to continue prevaricating with percentages and proportions to own population, the number of Syrian refugees in Lebanon, where vast, is still lower than the number in Turkey.
Well, we all know what EU policy on refugees looks like. On account of numerous individual countries modelling it on the same principles that you yourself appear to support.
More baloney. It is established that the intensifying bombardments from the air (by any side) have increased the number of refugees.
And Turkey .......................
Aw hell, I simply can't be bothered with the rest of it.

................Nice strawman, another useless post.
Yes, that's a pretty good description of what you've presented so far.

Thus I won't go into your usual dishonesty in misrepresenting what others have said.

Have you read The UN reports over Turkey dealing with refugees? If no, please read.
Yes I have. How about you read this article Amnesty report reveals desperate plight of Syrian refugees in Turkey | World news | The Guardian

Does that sound like Turkey is taking care of them?

So We should let Russia bomb civilians to get a big base near the sea in Syria; We should let Iran kill people to keep the Assad regime, I mean Shia dictator; We should arm Kurdish terrorists to kill and do ethnic cleansing of place captured by them; but damn ISIS!
So in your world it is the kurds who are the villans. How come UN doesn't agre? You said I should listen to them.
UN committee warns Turkey over discrimination and human rights violations - RIGHTS

And we don't have to do it the Russian way, but it is a lot better than Turkish solution to first back some rebels that fail, and then indirectly support ISIS. You think Syria would be a better place, if we just let ISIS take over?

There are Syrian students in universities, primary schools in Turkey free of charge; Syrian refugees working in Turkey legally; Syrian families treated in Turkish Hospitals free of charge. If those are not called as taking care of , then what?

Will you please read some reports before talking?
So if they could work, then how do you explain this article?
Turkey will not give Syrian refugees right to work - labour minister | Reuters

And how do you explain that the majority of syrian refugees do not recieve education?
No school for 400,000 Syrian refugee children in Turkey - official | Reuters

Yes they recenty changed their work policy, but that is way too late.

Last edited:
and the misrepresentations of what others say continue
Yes I have. How about you read this article Amnesty report reveals desperate plight of Syrian refugees in Turkey | World news | The Guardian
status November 2014
So in your world it is the kurds who are the villans. ............
is not what treehouse said.
And we don't have to do it the Russian way, but it is a lot better than Turkish solution to first back some rebels that fail, and then indirectly support ISIS.
By now (and for a considerable time) factually incorrect
You think Syria would be a better place, if we just let ISIS take over?
false dichotomy
August 2015
And how do you explain that the majority of syrian refugees do not recieve education?
October 2015
Yes they recenty changed their work policy...............
Oh, you noticed that, did you?

When i suggested you to read some reports, i did not mean to rush desperatly on google and find what ever suits you. However, I will answer them.

The link you posted dates back 2014, still better than European approach to the crisis. Regular people's issiues do not mean The country is officially treating them in the same even when the source is limited.

However, We should compare the situation in 2014 to the one in 2016:

Filippo Grandi, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, hailed the decision as courageous and a major step forward for refugees.

"Jobs mean dignity," he said, "a dignified life where you don't have to beg for money or to look for money from associations or the government. I think it is very big step."

But Fehmiye's granddaughters, Fehmiye and Fadia, both mothers of children, speak of frustration.

"Life here," Fadia said, "is eating, sleeping, waiting and no work."

UNHCR - High Commissioner welcomes Turkish work permits for Syrian refugees

UN praises 'Turkish model' amid refugee crisis
'The UNHCR has never seen a country in the middle of crisis adopting a law managing asylum and migration'

http://www.undpi.org/World-News/UN-praises-Turkish-model-amid-refugee-crisis.html

Here is more, if interested:
Syria Regional Refugee Response - Turkey

So in your world it is the kurds who are the villans. How come UN doesn't agre? You said I should listen to them.
UN committee warns Turkey over discrimination and human rights violations - RIGHTS

This link is about the Turkish citizens, so please find another one related to the kurdish terrorists in Syria, who do ethnic cleansing of places they captured, here is how they do this war crime:

https://www.amnesty.org/en/press-re...lys-razing-of-villages-amounts-to-war-crimes/

Another one...

After silencing dissident Syrian Kurds, PYD/YPG draws ire for blocking 6,000 peshmerga fighters - Daily Sabah

At the same time What Turkey has done so far for refugee kurds:

1-

- ''For four years after 1988, following the Iraqi government’s chemical weapons attacks on Halabja and Badinan in northern Iraq, Turkey provided shelter for 60,000 Iraqi refugees. ''

https://www.hrw.org/legacy/backgrounder/mena/iraq021203/4.htm

- WAR IN THE GULF: Turkey; Turkey's Role in Air Assault Sets Off Fear of Retaliation

WAR IN THE GULF - Turkey - Turkey's Role in Air Assault Sets Off Fear of Retaliation - NYTimes.com

- 2015 UNHCR country operations profile - Turkey

UNHCR - Turkey

For Syrian conflict...

- Turkey opens biggest refugee camp for 35,000 from Kobani

Turkey opens biggest refugee camp for 35,000 from Kobani | Reuters

-Turkey opens corridor for Kurdish fighters to relieve Kobani

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/64ed8d28-581e-11e4-b331-00144feab7de.html#axzz45QMFYLLV

- ''He urged the international community to step up both military and relief efforts to help Syrian Kurds. “We have no hospitals here anymore, and few medical supplies. We are running low on everything: food, water, milk for children.” Most of the supplies available were now coming via Turkey, he explained, often through Kurdish organisations. Injured people are being treated in Turkish hospitals.''

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-kobani-turkey-prime-minister-ahmet-davutoglu

And we don't have to do it the Russian way, but it is a lot better than Turkish solution to first back some rebels that fail, and then indirectly support ISIS. You think Syria would be a better place, if we just let ISIS take over?

You still do not have any proof to back that claim, so i'll wait till you come up with some.

Why not stay home and fight ? How are Countries supposed to deal with hundreds of thousands of refugees ? I believe our brave troops have to live in tents !!! :roll:

Yes they recenty changed their work policy, but that is way too late.

If you read the article, you will find that there is no such thing as you claimed based on an article written in 2014.

After all these, Could you now please question the continental Eruope and the rest of the world for not doing at least what Turkey has so far done?

When i suggested you to read some reports, i did not mean to rush desperatly on google and find what ever suits you. However, I will answer them.

The link you posted dates back 2014, still better than European approach to the crisis. Regular people's issiues do not mean The country is officially treating them in the same even when the source is limited.

However, We should compare the situation in 2014 to the one in 2016:

Filippo Grandi, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, hailed the decision as courageous and a major step forward for refugees.

"Jobs mean dignity," he said, "a dignified life where you don't have to beg for money or to look for money from associations or the government. I think it is very big step."

But Fehmiye's granddaughters, Fehmiye and Fadia, both mothers of children, speak of frustration.

"Life here," Fadia said, "is eating, sleeping, waiting and no work."

UN praises 'Turkish model' amid refugee crisis
'The UNHCR has never seen a country in the middle of crisis adopting a law managing asylum and migration'

undpi.org : UN praises 'Turkish model' amid refugee crisis | World News

Here is more, if interested:
Syria Regional Refugee Response - Turkey

This link is about the Turkish citizens, so please find another one related to the kurdish terrorists in Syria, who do ethnic cleansing of places they captured, here is how they do this war crime:

https://www.amnesty.org/en/press-re...lys-razing-of-villages-amounts-to-war-crimes/

Another one...

After silencing dissident Syrian Kurds, PYD/YPG draws ire for blocking 6,000 peshmerga fighters - Daily Sabah

At the same time What Turkey has done so far for refugee kurds:

1-

- ''For four years after 1988, following the Iraqi government’s chemical weapons attacks on Halabja and Badinan in northern Iraq, Turkey provided shelter for 60,000 Iraqi refugees. ''

https://www.hrw.org/legacy/backgrounder/mena/iraq021203/4.htm

- WAR IN THE GULF: Turkey; Turkey's Role in Air Assault Sets Off Fear of Retaliation

WAR IN THE GULF - Turkey - Turkey's Role in Air Assault Sets Off Fear of Retaliation - NYTimes.com

- 2015 UNHCR country operations profile - Turkey

UNHCR - Turkey

For Syrian conflict...

-Turkey opens corridor for Kurdish fighters to relieve Kobani

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/64ed8d28-581e-11e4-b331-00144feab7de.html#axzz45QMFYLLV

- ''He urged the international community to step up both military and relief efforts to help Syrian Kurds. “We have no hospitals here anymore, and few medical supplies. We are running low on everything: food, water, milk for children.” Most of the supplies available were now coming via Turkey, he explained, often through Kurdish organisations. Injured people are being treated in Turkish hospitals.''

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-kobani-turkey-prime-minister-ahmet-davutoglu

You still do not have any proof to back that claim, so i'll wait till you come up with some.

I am linking to those articles, because it shows that conditions are not good.

I haven't heard any refugees in europe being treated like this

The report points out that the estimated 1.38 million Syrians who live outside the government-run refugee camps struggle to secure a minimum of social and economic rights, such as education, housing and healthcare. Many families live in abject poverty, often in unsanitary, even dangerous, housing conditions. According to the Turkish Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD), only 15% of refugees outside of camps receive humanitarian aid.​

Amnesty report reveals desperate plight of Syrian refugees in Turkey | World news | The Guardian

No, what we should is to look at how Turkey has treated their refugees in the whole period. Improvement do not excuse past behaviour, and most of the improvements is done because they like to get free stuff from the EU.

And your articles doesn't show anything. One is about work permits, which they should have given a long time ago. One just shows how many that has arrived in Turkey, do not show conditions are good. And the last one is some turkish diplomat who talks nice about Turkey.

None of these articles disprove that Turkey has sent back refugees to Syria, which no european countries have done. None of these articles disprove the terrible conditions Syrians live under in Turkey.

Thats not impressive, Germany was dealing with that many refugees in one week, and they didn't even place them in tents.

None of these excuse Turkey from returning refugees back to Syria, or the terrible conditions many of them live under.

Turkey was a big supporter of the rebels, here is one source Syria crisis: Turkey training rebels, says FSA fighter - BBC News
Turkey has also indirectly supported ISIS by trading with them, http://observer.com/2016/02/deal-with-the-devil-turkey-props-up-isis-by-buying-its-stolen-oil

Back
Top Bottom