• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Donald Trump's Term Has Been Even Worse Than Everyone Expected

Have you looked at the tax structure of those countries? Are you aware that the health care in many is heavily supplemented by individual policies bought by those that want better care and can afford it?

Good thing what they are supplementing is a world class healthcare already. I have no problem with such a system - so far, we have nothing to supplement (once ACA goes away and we are back to 2009 - you know, when America was great).

No, with 80k income, he will NOT increase your taxes.

Yeah... No.

Biden Doubles Down on Promise to Raise Taxes on Middle-Class Earners

Fact Check: Yes, Biden's Plan Would 'Increase Taxes on Average for All Income Groups'

Biden-Harris Proposals Can Raise Taxes on the Middle Class

Biden's tax-the-rich plan would ultimately hit middle-class earners, analysis finds

Pretty much by definition, any repeal of Trump's tax cuts are also going to increase my taxes. And that's before we even get into all the other craziness he's proposed that would affect me directly, like his insanely massive gun, ammo, and magazine taxes.

At $200 a magazine, I'd be looking at another $1000 on my taxes there alone.

No, he will not kill your industry.

Obama basically took a battle axe to my industry during his time in office (a big part of the reason I was struggling so much to begin with - the industry where all my skills and experience lie basically straight up died for five years). I have absolutely no reason to believe that a Biden/Kammal Harris Administration, which is substantially more Left-leaning, would be inclined to cut less.

And no, ACA did not kill of employment - full time jobs steadily increased after the last Republican crisis, under Obama, with ACA and all.

Dishonest, cherry picked statistics. Of course it looks like Obama was a "full-time job" hero when the metric you're comparing him against is the deepest pit of the worst recession in 70 years.

As with Biden's tax plan, however, there is a rather large body of research out there showing that the ACA had very negative effects on full-time employment.

Businesses eliminated hundreds of thousands of full-time jobs to avoid Obamacare mandate

Even sources skeptical of a direct linkage were forced to acknowledge that the job market remained weak after the ACA's passage, there was a substantial increase in part time employment, and that most of the additional costs imposed by the ACA were shouldered by workers, rather than businesses.

Employment impacts of the Affordable Care Act

Umm... No, I don't believe that. lol

There is literally no freaking way an economy with increased taxes / regulation will grow faster, or see more investment. That's just not how it works.

At most, you could argue that things would be less volatile without Trump rocking the boat. But even so... It's not like we haven't been on a constant growth trend for the last four years either way regardless.

And if Biden were to attempt to implement literally any part of either the "Green New Deal," or "Medicare for All," the economy would likely implode outright.

when he is done killing off ACA, and next time you or your kid loses a job and has pre-existing condition, good luck with that bankruptcy.

I wouldn't be able to afford the ACA either way regardless, so its a moot point. Its literally just as expensive as my employer provided plan (which it also made more expensive, btw).

Yes, It Was The 'Affordable' Care Act That Increased Premiums

It's very much affordable BECAUSE of all the credits people get

That wasn't really the consensus then, and it still isn't the consensus now. Most people avoid the ACA like the plague, because its overly expensive, and its frankly sub-par coverage.

Obamacare is now so expensive it keeps patients away from their doctors

I think you're also wildly over-estimating just how high one's income can be while still qualifying for assistance.

Why Is ObamaCare So Expensive For Low Income?

Last edited:
Someone making under $30K is eligible for premium tax credits (and quite possibly cost-sharing reductions lowering deductibles, etc as well), which limit their contribution to a single-digit percentage of their income specified in statute. They certainly wouldn't be asked to contribute "between a third and a half" of their income.

Ya sure about that, guy?

According to this, you're only eligible for the price reduction if you're at or below the Federal Poverty line... Which, even making 20-30k, I was roughly 2-3x above for a single male.

Ya sure about that, guy?

According to this, you're only eligible for the price reduction if you're at or below the Federal Poverty line... Which, even making 20-30k, I was roughly 2-3x above for a single male.

Yes, I'm sure of that. Financial assistance is available up to 400 percent of the poverty threshold. Great story, though.

Pretty much by definition, any repeal of Trump's tax cuts are also going to increase my taxes.

Maybe if you came out of your right wing source bubble, you'd know that Biden made it clear that the intent was to rollback only the vast majority (by the dollar amounts) of the Trump tax cut that affects $400k+ incomes and NOT anyone with incomes under $400k.

I agree his messaging was not ideal about it at first and that's what the right-wingers latched onto, but it's dishonest to disregard his clarification.

Obama basically took a battle axe to my industry during his time in office (a big part of the reason I was struggling so much to begin with - the industry where all my skills and experience lie basically straight up died for five years). I have absolutely no reason to believe that a Biden/Kammal Harris Administration, which is substantially more Left-leaning, would be inclined to cut less.

Which Obama policies specifically affected your industry?

Dishonest, cherry picked statistics. Of course it looks like Obama was a "full-time job" hero when the metric you're comparing him against is the deepest pit of the worst recession in 70 years.

Umm no... It's not about the recession - I am showing that that the full time employment trend line had no massive dips after ACA.

As with Biden's tax plan, however, there is a rather large body of research out there showing that the ACA had very negative effects on full-time employment.
Businesses eliminated hundreds of thousands of full-time jobs to avoid Obamacare mandate
Employment impacts of the Affordable Care Act

Your first link agrees with you but then states " If Obamacare is repealed, consumer demand for health care will shrink. And that could cause more than 900,000 jobs to be cut by 2026, according to a study from the Commonwealth Fund and the Milken Institute of Public Health at George Washington University. "

Your second link does not support what you are saying at all. In fact it states the opposite: "Because the ACA made affordable insurance available to nonaged adults who do not hold full-time jobs, it may have encouraged some workers to accept part-time jobs and give up employer provided insurance. We might thus anticipate some increase in part-time work driven by employee preferences rather than by the changed incentives facing employers. As it happens, all of the job gains that have occurred since March 2010 have been in full-time employment. The number of workers who hold jobs that are usually part-time has actually declined modestly. "

see Part 2...

Part 2 of 2 ...

There is literally no freaking way an economy with increased taxes / regulation will grow faster, or see more investment. That's just not how it works.

Hmm... I did not know you also understand economics better than Goldman Sachs.

It's not like we haven't been on a constant growth trend for the last four years either way regardless.

Are you one of those people who does not understand that Trump's failure on COVID directly resulted not only in many unnecessary additional American deaths but also ruined the economy way more than we should have?

As for pre-covid trend, I think you don't know WHY we have had it - sure tax cut helped companies be more profitable in the shorter term and they bought back the shares resulting in higher stock prices, but this is on the back of your kid(s) paying back the ever increasing national debt (OR WORSE if we can't pay it back). You are celebrating going into debt for 4 years by the self-declared king-of-debt instead of paying it down like we should have done during the good times. The right time for tax cuts and getting into debt is when we are getting out of recessions, not when everything is doing well already.

The other part of economy doing better relates to deregulations that we will be paying for in more health problems from environmental consequences. Who needs clean air and water, right? We should make some $$ now - that's more important!

And yes, I get it - if you work for a dirty industry, it sucks. But at the end of the day, it's like the tobacco industry - there will be less jobs there too over time as more and more people decide to stop increases their chances of getting cancer (or chances of their loved ones).

And if Biden were to attempt to implement literally any part of either the "Green New Deal," or "Medicare for All," the economy would likely implode outright.

Yeah, because Universal Healthcare does not work anywhere else in the world right? Or is it because we are the only country in the world who CAN'T do it?

I wouldn't be able to afford the ACA either way regardless, so its a moot point.

BS: see Greenbeard's resposnes.

That wasn't really the consensus then, and it still isn't the consensus now. Most people avoid the ACA like the plague, because its overly expensive, and its frankly sub-par coverage.

Is that why it's one of the more successful programs out there that Republicans failed to repeal despite controlling the House, the Senate, AND the White House for 2 years?

Good article. I didn't vote for Trump, I knew better, but when he won I was one of those people who said to give him a chance. I never thought he would sink so low, threaten our national security and be so corrupt that he would be Impeached and still continue breaking the laws and violating our constitution. I never thought he'd be so racist and turn his back on the American citizens, I also didn't realize he was so ignorant and self-serving.

I thought he'd listen to the adults in Washington with experience and knowledge and consider their advice, but besides being a narcissist, he also can't read, write or understand basic necessities like briefings. His extreme and constant lying and inciting hate and violence had made his term much more destructive to our country than ever imagined.

With all due respect; that was extremely ignorant and naive of you. What mental gymnastics did you use to ignore public knowledge of who and what trump is?

I voted for Trump in 2016 knowing he was a garbage human. Unfortunately, his opponent was garbage as well.

I have come to realize that both Trump and his supporters are awful people.
Because we love Liberty?

Ahhh... and Leftists lie, so your claim of voting for Trump has been found: FALSE.

This article is a bloody joke. After satisfying the apparent need to qualify as being complety obsessed with Trump and a faithful comrade of the resistance, alerting all that Trump is a very bad man, it repeats the same tired accusations that have been beaten to death over, and over the past 4 years. Trumps racist, Trump supports white supremacists, Trump is using his position to gain wealth, Trump hates immigrants and seperates children. Really? I get it. This is the narrative that has been carried over and repeated ad nauseam by the press and social media that I can understand why many would believe it. And in such I ask, are you fool? Because you have been treated and played as fools. Anyone taking the time to investigate these accusations and their original sources in context, they just dont hold up. But again, I sympathize. Youve been played as fools. The real chilling and unforgivable fact of the matter is that while a litteral machine working on all cylinders, using every and any trick in the book has been selling their souls attacking Trump, actual criminal and aggressively anti American acts have been played out by their own side. The tricks arent new. Accuse the other of the things you do. Election tampering. REAL collusion with hostile governments and corruption for personal gain is ignored. REAL sexual deviance is ignored. REAL acts of violence destroying the lives of first generation Americans is ignored and supported. Time to look in the mirror. Put down the Kool aid, do some digging, open some eyes, and realize just what side will step on YOUR neck when you question the approved storyline. Whos intentions are self serving. And who will sell your and Americas soul for power. The devils greatest success was convincing the world he didnt exist. And Trump isnt the devil.

Again... Not what the Obamacare website itself says.

The "Obamacare website" is called healthcare.gov. It says exactly that.

But whatever. I never claimed to be an expert on terrible entitlements programs I have no intention of ever using.

You've got pretty strong opinions about the ACA for not having even the most basic grasp of what it is or how it works. And you've even got a made-up backstory about paying a mandate penalty that you didn't, and facing huge premiums that you also didn't.

Standard rightwing dishonesty and cluelessness when it comes to the ACA.

Because we love Liberty?

Ahhh... and Leftists lie, so your claim of voting for Trump has been found: FALSE.

Who told you you love liberty? Who told you you are a patriot? You didn’t come up with that on your own. Do you see how easy it was for Hitler to get the people to support his ideas?

Pay attention. You’ve been around long enough to know I was in on Trump up until recently. I guess switching my avatar from Ivanka has easily confused some of you. I bet if I switched it back you all would be liking my posts even though they kick your brainwashed arguments to the curb.

Yeah... No.

Biden Doubles Down on Promise to Raise Taxes on Middle-Class Earners

Fact Check: Yes, Biden's Plan Would 'Increase Taxes on Average for All Income Groups'

Biden-Harris Proposals Can Raise Taxes on the Middle Class

Biden's tax-the-rich plan would ultimately hit middle-class earners, analysis finds

Pretty much by definition, any repeal of Trump's tax cuts are also going to increase my taxes. And that's before we even get into all the other craziness he's proposed that would affect me directly, like his insanely massive gun, ammo, and magazine taxes.

At $200 a magazine, I'd be looking at another $1000 on my taxes there alone.

I don't believe the middle class is classified as an individual earning $400,000....
I don't believe the firearm industry is taxed enough quite frankly...simply they don't pay their fair share of taxes.

You have to ask yourself...Trump lowered the corporate tax rate by 14% from a well established 35% (a rate adopted and continued by both political parties). I call this vested and corrupt interests.

I am sorry but your large body of research is one amateur website with absolutely no standing or reputation?

Obamacare had its positive elements but also its challenges but I always come back to this....it was an improvement of the previous system.

Biden made it clear that the intent was to rollback only the vast majority (by the dollar amounts) of the Trump tax cut that affects $400k+ incomes and NOT anyone with incomes under $400k.

Biden is lying through his teeth... Just like he and Obama were when they claimed that the ACA wouldn't lead anyone to lose coverage back in the early 2010s.

As I already posted, analysis and fact checking from multiple credible, bi-partisan, sources, ranging from Stanford University to the Tax Foundation, clearly indicates that his plans will raise taxes.

That makes perfect sense, as he is proposing rolling back tax cuts which, as a matter of objective fact, did result in a reduction in my personal taxes of several thousand dollars a year.

Which Obama policies specifically affected your industry?

He slashed defense by more than 100 billion dollars between 2011 and 2015. This effectively obliterated private sector defense contracting, my current industry.

He's also promised to cut the legs out from under the energy industry as well. How many well paying jobs stand to be lost there?

I am showing that that the full time employment trend line had no massive dips after ACA.

Again... A post recession upward trend is not difficult to achieve.

If Obamacare is repealed, consumer demand for health care will shrink.

What the article actually says is that various studies show that between 250,000 and 750,000 full time jobs were lost between 2013 and 2016 due to the ACA, largely in retail and in small business. However, 150,000 nursing jobs were gained in the same period.

Dunno about you... But that still looks like a net loss for the American worker, to the tune of 100k to more than 500k in lost jobs, even if one particular industry did benefit.

"900,000" is only one source's estimate of what would happen if the ACA were repealed entirely. That hasn't happened yet, and likely isn't going to happen.

Your second link does not support what you are saying at all.

I already stated that this particular source was skeptical of the ACA linkage. However, even it is forced to admit that the post ACA job market was weak, part time employment increased, and that expenses for the ACA were bourne primarily by workers, not employers.

Hmm... I did not know you also understand economics better than Goldman Sachs.

Evidently, I do... Tax and regulation increases simply do not result in increased economic growth or investment. Again, the Tax Foundation and other sources have already estimated that Biden's policies would likely result in GDP reductions, rather than growth.

Perhaps Goldsachs is simply hoping for some post-election kickbacks.

Are you one of those people who does not understand that Trump's failure on COVID... ruined the economy

:rolleyes: Do you believe that there was ever a realistic possibility of US avoiding COVID-19? Nonsense.

Trump's COVID performance is no worse than that of the rest of the Industrialized World. You can't blame Trump for a Chinese plague, which has caused a global economic downturn.

Frankly, even so, Trump's more moderate approach to lockdowns has actually avoided the kind of economic damage that has been experienced throughout most of the EU.

You are celebrating going into debt for 4 years by the self-declared king-of-debt

Tax cuts had no impact on the National Debt. In fact, the Fed experienced record tax revenues every year since the cuts were enacted.

Go Figure: Federal Revenues Hit All-Time Highs Under Trump Tax Cuts

The US has a spending problem, not a tax problem. Frankly, the Dems only plan to make that exponentially worse.

The other part of economy doing better relates to deregulations that we will be paying for in more health problems from environmental consequences.

Trump's de-regulations mostly related to finance.

I don't believe the middle class is classified as an individual earning $400,000....

Perhaps you should actually read the analysis? Most agrees that Biden's claims that the tax increases will only affect people making more than 400k a year are misleading at best, and outrightly false at worst.

An Analysis of Vice President Biden’s Economic Agenda: The Long Run Impacts of Its Regulation, Taxes, and Spending*

Details and Analysis of Democratic Presidential Nominee Joe Biden’s Tax Plan

I don't believe the firearm industry is taxed enough quite frankly...simply they don't pay their fair share of taxes.

He's not talking about taxing the firearm industry. He's talking about taxing private gun owners.

I am sorry but your large body of research is one amateur website with absolutely no standing or reputation?

Ummm... No. Again, perhaps you should actually read? The Marketwatch article was sourcing a working paper from National Bureau of Economic Research. It cited the following research as well.

Vanderbilt U / Upjohn Institute - Effects of the Affordable Care Act on Part-Time Employment: Early Evidence

Obamacare has led to rise in involuntary part-time employment, Goldman Sachs finds

Last edited:
Obamacare had its positive elements but also its challenges but I always come back to this....it was an improvement of the previous system.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but 20+ million Americans gained coverage (and millions more enjoy additional benefits and financial protections under their coverage), even as health care cost growth hit historic lows, saving nearly $3 trillion over the past decade. Health care quality has gone up, even as more people are accessing better care and experiencing demonstrably better health outcomes as a result. The last decade has been an extraordinary one for the American health system by virtually any metric.

There are ways to improve on the ACA and do even better, certainly, but it's fair to take a moment and reflect what a success it's been.

Is anyone debating on this thread?

Under President Trump we had record low unemployment rates (including blacks , Hispanics, women, Asian Americans, Native Americans, gay Americans, etc.), We also defeated ISIS (and took back territory they had gained), avoided new wars, secured new trade deals (with Canada, Mexico, Europe, Japan and China) Presifdent Trump signed legislative tax reform into law and filled up numerous vacant court seats. Trump opened up diplomatic relations with North Korea (and brought home Americans being held there). Our border security and fencing improved and no one lost Constitutional Rights, Regarding Covid, Trumo was the first G-10 leader to ban travel with China and Europe.

It seems like the Democrats here do not have much of a leg to stand on. So they sadly spend their days ranting about nonsense like ... "Trump is the worst president ever" when in realty it's quote the opposite.

Trump's economy has far surpassed Obama's economy. The vast majority of growth under Obama was simply recovering lost ground from the '08 crash, and even so, it was one of weakest recoveries in American economic history, specifically due to the depressive effects of policies like the ACA.
Actually it only surpassed it because it continued the trend that Obama started. But no. it has not gone into overdrive and grown at a faster rate than under obama
Again, basically the only thing capable of even slowing Trump's economy down was a new global plague. The market is still at record highs even so.

actually the economy would have been growing better if not for Trump. Prior to the Virus the trade war with China
was putting downward pressure on the economy.
The market has really little to do with the economy.

On the whole, Trump's economic impact has been overwhelmingly positive. That's not even debatable

Actually Trumps impact has been mostly negative. Good thing for america that the economy is so much bigger than one president.
Studies show that the tax cuts did not spur growth to much of an extent. The Trade war with china however, has cost the economy.
Deregulation has been a mixed bag since the deregulation has been haphazard and not well thought. To the extent that business have moved to try and stop deregulation:

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envi...nesses-oppose-trump-deregulatory-agenda-rules

Even at the very worst estimation, Trump's performance with regards to N. Korea has not been any worse than the last three Administrations before him.

Actually he has been tremendously worse. Meeting with Kim gave him the world stage he wanted and taught Kim and other dictators that the way to get the US to meet with you and back down.. is to proceed with nuclear weapons.
The US is literally on about the same par with regards to COVID-19 as the EU.

Trump knew about the virus back in november.. and did nothing. He knew even more how serious it was in January and February and he lied to the american people. We would not have had the deaths we did..we would not have had the infections if we had been ramping up PPE production, production of ventilators and had been preparing travel restrictions with the airlines months before.
This is america ... not the EU.

Barret is pretty Conservative.

Based on her prior writings see is right wing liberal

Back
Top Bottom