• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump's desire to become President

Why did Donald Trump want to be the POTUS?

• Total voters

Patriotic Voter

Smarter than trolls
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
This question is about Donald Trump's original decision to run for President, but based on what he ended up doing and paying consequences for while in office. What do you think? Choices are unlimited.

in 1988, Oprah asked Trump if he would ever consider running for President of the U.S.

Trump replied that he might if the conditions required it:

"I would never want to rule it out totally because I really am tired of seeing what's happening with this country. We have to make America great again."

in 1988.

Donald Trump cares about nothing but the personal glory of Donald Trump. Anyone that thinks he cares one iota about America is delusional (Trump delusion syndrome) as there is no real evidence thereof, but plenty of evidence of my statement (see also stealing top secret information for personal purposes and creating a myth that there was something wrong with the 2020 election, at the detriment of American faith in elections, but to the benefit of his fund raising efforts.)

in 1988, Oprah asked Trump if he would ever consider running for President of the U.S.

That was when he could compose a rational sentence.

IMO, Trump ran as a publicity stunt and was WTF? when Hillary conceded.

This question is about Donald Trump's original decision to run for President, but based on what he ended up doing and paying consequences for while in office. What do you think? Choices are unlimited.

Trump wanted to be President because his whole life he has felt unloved and rejected. And he thought that people would have to love him if he was President.

It was totally selfish and remains that way. A nation held hostage by a man with a personality disorder and daddy issues that should have been sorted out on a leather couch for $120 an hour somewhere.

I think he is also a bit of a Fox News conspiracy nutcase.

See: birtherism, various bigotries, and that gave him a pretext for running a campaign.

Trump wanted to be President because his whole life he has felt unloved and rejected. And he thought that people would have to love him if he was President.

It was totally selfish and remains that way. A nation held hostage by a man with a personality disorder and daddy issues that should have been sorted out on a leather couch for $120 an hour somewhere.

I think he is also a bit of a Fox News conspiracy nutcase.

See: birtherism, various bigotries, and that gave him a pretext for running a campaign.

Best explanation thus far.

Probably a little bit because he thought he could use it for his own personal gain. But mostly he did it to satisfy the voice in his head that's constantly screaming "HEY, I'M IMPORTANT, PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!!!"

For money, to build his brand, and for the attention. I don't think he ever intended to win until Kellyanne Conway came on board. He's one of those "No news is bad news" people.

"I would never want to rule it out totally because I really am tired of seeing what's happening with this country. We have to make America great again."

in 1988.

And how did that end up working? America is certainly no better after a Trump presidency. It's worse by certain measures. Millions have taken sides and become tribal. The country is more divided than it has been in decades.

Oh he wants to be president again, still, according to some, and it sure as hell has nothing to do with his doing any good for the American people outside his clan.

I think he honestly believes that if only he was given free reign to implement all the things he wants, he would make America an wonderful place and in turn make the world a wonderful place (at least by his definition of wonderful). He certainly isn't alone in that opinion of course, but few people who think like that get anywhere close to positions of such political power, outside a few dictatorships or people with non-political power influencing corrupt politicians.

I also think his underlying motives are less about the good for everyone else but more about the public perception of him as a great and powerful heroic leader. That's why he perceives challenges to his ideas or actions as personal attacks on him.

I think he honestly believes that if only he was given free reign to implement all the things he wants, he would make America an wonderful place and in turn make the world a wonderful place (at least by his definition of wonderful). He certainly isn't alone in that opinion of course, but few people who think like that get anywhere close to positions of such political power, outside a few dictatorships or people with non-political power influencing corrupt politicians.

I also think his underlying motives are less about the good for everyone else but more about the public perception of him as a great and powerful heroic leader. That's why he perceives challenges to his ideas or actions as personal attacks on him.
While I can appreciate your sentiment and can even briefly consider you might be correct, briefly, I then take ALL in its entirety that I have witnessed and researched about the man and I can't even begin then to believe that there is a half micron of a mote of such altruism in the man, aware or unaware by him.

Greed
Power
Ego

Not necessarily in that specific order.

That is the triumvirate that motivates the man.

Something else.

During the four years of the Honorable Barack Obama, there were certain sentiments building up among some Americans.

To be frank but gentle, some people were dismayed by the many incidents that involved ethnic issues.

There was that killing in Missouri. Some people felt that the Department of Justice under the Honorable Eric Holder was not being impartial.

There was that killing in Florida. Some people were upset when President Obama talked about the young man looking like the son that he had never had.

Some people were also upset by some murders committed by undocumented gentlemen against American citizens.

So the Honorable Donald J. Trump had the hunch that maybe, just maybe, there was a Silent Majority out there that could actually propel him to the White House.

Of course, everyone (including me) laughed and laughed and laughed.

Well, many Dems have never forgotten how their fondest hopes were dashed by this brash newcomer.

So now they are dreaming that The Donald will be imprisoned, or even as one ex-government official said on MSNBC (of course!) even "executed."

Power. Trump is a fascist. He is an enemy of democracy.

Something else.

During the four years of the Honorable Barack Obama, there were certain sentiments building up among some Americans.

Who do you think was the President from 2009 to 2013?

Who do you think was the President from 2009 to 2013?
Oh, excuse me!

We had the privilege of having the Honorable Barack Obama as President for eight years.

(And some people claim that we are currently in his third term.)

Oh, excuse me!

We had the privilege of having the Honorable Barack Obama as President for eight years.

(And some people claim that we are currently in his third term.)

Of course, those people never said that about George H.W. Bush after he succeeded Ronald Reagan. It is just one of the stupid ways they criticize the Joe Biden administration.

Donald Trump told you then (1988) and he told you in (2016) and he will tell you now. The same reason but the left just will not accept his reasons ever. Everyone thinks they know Trump :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Donald Trump told you then (1988) and he told you in (2016) and he will tell you now. The same reason but the left just will not accept his reasons ever. Everyone thinks they know Trump.

Everyone knows Trump the Terrorist always lies, including yourself. You just want to deny, deny, deny.

Something else.

To be frank but gentle, some people were dismayed by the many incidents that involved ethnic issues.

There was that killing in Missouri. Some people felt that the Department of Justice under the Honorable Eric Holder was not being impartial.

There was that killing in Florida. Some people were upset when President Obama talked about the young man looking like the son that he had never had.

Some people were also upset by some murders committed by undocumented gentlemen against American citizens.

So the Honorable Donald J. Trump had the hunch that maybe, just maybe, there was a Silent Majority out there that could actually propel him to the White House.

Of course, everyone (including me) laughed and laughed and laughed.

Well, many Dems have never forgotten how their fondest hopes were dashed by this brash newcomer.

So now they are dreaming that The Donald will be imprisoned, or even as one ex-government official said on MSNBC (of course!) even "executed."
During His honorable 8 Years.
The Honorable Barack Hussein Obama served as an Honorable President for TWO TERMS a total of 8 Honorable years.
It might seem a bit, well, dishonorable to deny the man his full due.

Back
Top Bottom