• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump Would Push Debt To Highest Level In U.S. History, Report Says Donald Tru

Re: Donald Trump Would Push Debt To Highest Level In U.S. History, Report Says Donald

Oh, Good Lord, what was the deficit that he cut in half? You liberals continue to have very low standards,

Did Obama tell you he was going to run trillion dollar deficits four years in a row and that cutting the deficit in half still left a higher than average historical deficit?

The deficit is not the national debt.

Re: Donald Trump Would Push Debt To Highest Level In U.S. History, Report Says Donald

Except he didn't. The debt has risen to an all time historic high under Obama.

Another one who has not a clue of what the difference is between the national debt and budget deficit,,,,,,,,,,,,

Another one who has not a clue of what the difference is between the national debt and budget deficit,,,,,,,,,,,,

That would be you. I'm talking about the national debt, which has risen every year Obama has been in office and is now at a historic high. The deficit deals with the government's proposed budgets - as in this is how much we think we're going to spend in the next X years. They rarely budget correctly. It takes a major economic event to have a congressional budget surplus - and this is every bit as much a failure in planning as a budget overrun.

Since President Obama took office, the national debt has increased by $7.4 trillion. On January 20, 2009, it stood at $10.6 trillion; on Monday, it was at $18 trillion

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hind-obama-and-the-national-debt-in-7-charts/

That would be you. I'm talking about the national debt, which has risen every year Obama has been in office and is now at a historic high. The deficit deals with the government's proposed budgets - as in this is how much we think we're going to spend in the next X years. They rarely budget correctly. It takes a major economic event to have a congressional budget surplus - and this is every bit as much a failure in planning as a budget overrun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hind-obama-and-the-national-debt-in-7-charts/

That is true...............

But the subject is "Obama cut in half the budget deficit as he promised"

All modern presidents have promised to reduce the debt. Democrat and Republican.

I'm not sure what modern is and Congress controls spending and taxation. But, the post was actually about lies. One person thought Barack Obama tells the truth. The other person thinks all politicians lie. Barack Obama and Donald Trump are just worse than most.

Oh, the other thing is neither seems to realize that there is now video of almost everything. Remember when President Obama and his surrogates said he'd never promised that "If you like your insurance you can keep your insurance." Within hours the videos are out.

That is true...............

But the subject is "Obama cut in half the budget deficit as he promised"

No, that's not the subject (look at the OP title for guidance), nor is it true. Nor, would it be anything but a failure in budgeting if he actually did. Debt payment is part of the budget. The budget is supposed to, as closely as possible, chart what our expenditures will be staying within what we expect our GNP to be over the same period. If we are under or over budget that means we got something wrong, we miscalculated. The larger the shortfall or overage, the larger the error in judgment was made.

I'm not sure what modern is and Congress controls spending and taxation. But, the post was actually about lies. One person thought Barack Obama tells the truth. The other person thinks all politicians lie. Barack Obama and Donald Trump are just worse than most.

Oh, the other thing is neither seems to realize that there is now video of almost everything. Remember when President Obama and his surrogates said he'd never promised that "If you like your insurance you can keep your insurance." Within hours the videos are out.

I wasn't arguing that Obama has kept his promises. I was pointing out that all presidents in this last century have promised to lower the debt and instead the debt has climbed every single administration. The debt climbed by over 5 trillion under President Bush and 7 trillion under President Obama.

I bolded your jumping the shark statement. We have no way whatsoever of telling what the debt will be under President Trump. Candidates say all sorts of things regarding the debt - as history has shown, none of their promises come true in this regard.

No, that's not the subject (look at the OP title for guidance), nor is it true. Nor, would it be anything but a failure in budgeting if he actually did. Debt payment is part of the budget. The budget is supposed to, as closely as possible, chart what our expenditures will be staying within what we expect our GNP to be over the same period. If we are under or over budget that means we got something wrong, we miscalculated. The larger the shortfall or overage, the larger the error in judgment was made.

I started this string don't be telling what the subject is...........

There is no need to reply because I feel no need to do so...............Replying to your posts is tiresome........

I have no idea of who I will vote for……I see both as undesirable and surly not the best of what could have been offered……….IMHO……both stink

Do you know why the debt ballooned in the Obama Presidency?

Are you saying that the Trump tax cut will create greater economic activity and therefore increase revenues over and above the cost of the tax cut………….the trickledown theory of economics……….The Bush Administration proved Trickle down does not work and added $10 trillion to the national debt…

Raising taxes to paid the bills works……….The Clinton Administration did so which led to the longest sustained economic growth in US history………..as I recall the Dow tripled in value…….and average family increased substantially……..

Of course you can disagree but what you believe so is the product of propaganda………and not on sound economic reality………..

The only way we can pay down the national debt is by raising taxes…….

To believe one can reduce the debt by cutting programs and entitlements is folly……………

The debt is 19 trillion……….

And all of what you call “entitlements” total about $800 billion………..a pittance of the national debt………

To eliminate all of the entitlements and apply to pay down debt........

would be a sum -which would not even be to able to keep up with the annual growth of the debt……..

If yall wan to pay down the debt one must pay the bills and then some........

There is no free lunch..........

BUSH DID NOT ADD 10 TRILLION DOLLARS TO THE DEBT!!
I don't like using caps, but you've already been linked to the accurate US debt calender, which disproves 2 false talking points that you guys keep pushing. 1. Clinton DID NOT wipe out the US debt, in fact, he left office with 5.72 trillion dollars of debt. 2. Bush left office with 10.6 trillion, so in simple math, you subtract 5.72 trillion from 10.6 trillion, which leaves 4.899 trillion that Bush added. The debt is now at 19.3 trillion and will likely hit 20 trillion when Obama leaves office. That means he will have increased the debt by 9.4 trillion dollars.

But what I find interesting is that you have found a site that speculated that Trump will add many trillions, and you are critical of that unproved, likely propaganda based speculation, but you aren't critical of Obama who has factually added nearly 9 trillion in debt.

The left were making all sorts of erroneous claims against republicans before the last few elections, such as the claim that Bush would take away social security and make huge cuts to Medicare. NONE OF THOSE THINGS HAPPENED...... But you still choose to believe propaganda.

Why not deal with facts, by looking up treasurydirect.gov, which will prove my debt statement, and disprove your claims about Clinton and Bush's debt additions.....

I don't like using caps, but you've already been linked to the accurate US debt calender, which disproves 2 false talking points that you guys keep pushing. 1. Clinton DID NOT wipe out the US debt, in fact, he left office with 5.72 trillion dollars of debt. 2. Bush left office with 10.6 trillion, so in simple math, you subtract 5.72 trillion from 10.6 trillion, which leaves 4.899 trillion that Bush added. The debt is now at 19.3 trillion and will likely hit 20 trillion when Obama leaves office. That means he will have increased the debt by 9.4 trillion dollars.

But what I find interesting is that you have found a site that speculated that Trump will add many trillions, and you are critical of that unproved, likely propaganda based speculation, but you aren't critical of Obama who has factually added nearly 9 trillion in debt.

The left were making all sorts of erroneous claims against republicans before the last few elections, such as the claim that Bush would take away social security and make huge cuts to Medicare. NONE OF THOSE THINGS HAPPENED...... But you still choose to believe propaganda.

Why not deal with facts, by looking up treasurydirect.gov, which will prove my debt statement, and disprove your claims about Clinton and Bush's debt additions.....

Please provide us with link to backup what you claim...........

Hmm...for the past 7 1/2 years all we've heard from liberals is that the debt doesn't actually matter and that its actually a good thing to have debt. Now we have a thread, posted by and agreed to by liberals, complaining about just how much Trump is predicted to raise the debt vs Hillary and Hillary's numbers are considered "good" and Trump's numbers are considered "bad".

Not that this actually surprises me. The same happened in reverse during the Bush years. :shrug: But it IS funny to see the hypocrisy.

Can you provide a link to what you claim......... A organized group of liberals said the debt does not matter............

George W. Bush: Added $5.849 trillion, a 101% increase to the $5.8 trillion debt level at the end of Clinton's last budget, FY 2001………..
US Debt by President: By Dollar and Percent

If you add the costs of the Bush tax cut loss of revenue which continued 2 years into Obama's term...........then you will have the 10 trillion so claim Bush added to the national debt

Can you provide a link to what you claim......... A organized group of liberals said the debt does not matter............

Love how you added that bold part in. It sets artificial limits in order to reduce what you know to be true. Sorry, not going to play that game. Just do a search here at DP and you'll see liberals making the claim. Not going to do your homework for you. You do it.

Report Says Donald Trump Would Push Debt to Highest Level In U.S. History

Report is a smart mother****er, then. to be fair, Clinton will also push the debt to the highest level in US history. so will any other candidate. to remedy our debt situation, taxes have to go up, and we need to stop being the world's pro bono police force. however, there is very little chance of either of those things happening. if i had to guess, taxes will stay about the same, and the US is about to embark on expanded war in the Middle East with no exit strategy.

With you this is hopeless...............Obama more than halved the budget in his term as president as he promised...........

Really? So halving the deficit from record deficit levels and having those deficits add up to over 8.6 trillion dollars to the debt and increasing the debt service to the taxpayers is a success to you and a promise kept? When Obama said he would halve the deficit it was at 500 billion dollars not 1.4 trillion which was his so apparently halving the deficit from this level is what you call a success?

When Obama made the promise what were your expectations of the deficit being?

With you this is hopeless...............Obama more than halved the budget in his term as president as he promised...........

How do you figure that? Obama's first year in office $3.55 trillion. 2017 it's $4.2 trillion.

Facts are stubborn things, and with the new technology are easily verified.

George W. Bush: Added $5.849 trillion, a 101% increase to the $5.8 trillion debt level at the end of Clinton's last budget, FY 2001………..
US Debt by President: By Dollar and Percent

If you add the costs of the Bush tax cut loss of revenue which continued 2 years into Obama's term...........then you will have the 10 trillion so claim Bush added to the national debt

Here is what you continue to ignore, Obama deficits by year

Fiscal Yr
2009 1.8
2010 1.7
2011 1.2
2012 1.3
2913 0.6
2014 1.1
2015 0.4
2016 1.0

What year again was the sequester? Hmmmm! Obama will have trillion dollar deficits 6 out of his 8 years in office but you would trumpet the year he halved the deficit? What is it about liberals that create this kind of loyalty?

By the way how you coming on finding the Bush signed 2009 budget that you want to blame on Bush? While you are research find me any accounting class that teaches tax cuts as an expense?

Now then there are those pesky little deficits that add up to debt. Here is the Obama debt

Fiscal
2009 11.9
2010 13.6
2011 14.8
2012 16.1
2913 16.7
2014 17.8
2015 18.2

2016 19.2

Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application)

Report is a smart mother****er, then. to be fair, Clinton will also push the debt to the highest level in US history. so will any other candidate. to remedy our debt situation, taxes have to go up, and we need to stop being the world's pro bono police force. however, there is very little chance of either of those things happening. if i had to guess, taxes will stay about the same, and the US is about to embark on expanded war in the Middle East with no exit strategy.

While I agree with most of what you say......

I believe HRC policies will be better for the economy than Trump's......

HRC calls for a tax increase taxing the folks who have been getting a free lunch all too long.......

If pass thru the congress the increase will eliminate the deficit and pay down debt.........

So say the numbers......

But key to it all is "pass thru congress"........

Unless Democrats can control both the House and have a super majority in the Senate ..........

It will be 8 long Obama-like years

Really? So halving the deficit from record deficit levels and having those deficits add up to over 8.6 trillion dollars to the debt and increasing the debt service to the taxpayers is a success to you and a promise kept? When Obama said he would halve the deficit it was at 500 billion dollars not 1.4 trillion which was his so apparently halving the deficit from this level is what you call a success?

When Obama made the promise what were your expectations of the deficit being?

It is not important what my expectations were.........

But with the do nothing anti-anything Obama congress any major reduction would be difficult......

You seem to forget it is congress who makes the budget........

And the House controls the spending........both of which are GOP controlled.......

So to blame anything financial on Obama is difficult to impossible.......

Therefore reducing the deficit in the fiscal years as president reduced what the additions to the national debt6 would have been.......

And to more that half the deficit fulfilled the election promise he made ...........

Now you can continue with your selective argument of saying the difference between the comparison of apples and oranges is proof of an Obama failure.......

Which IMHO is a knowingly mendacious assertion.........

I started this string don't be telling what the subject is...........

There is no need to reply because I feel no need to do so...............Replying to your posts is tiresome........

Yeah, it's tiresome when you get caught out. But at least you have plenty of experience at it to fall back on.

Proving once again that you have zero understanding of what budgets, debt or deficits are. Halving the budget is not halving the deficit. And it does absolutely nothing for the debt.

Here is what you continue to ignore, Obama deficits by year

Fiscal Yr
2009 1.8
2010 1.7
2011 1.2
2012 1.3
2913 0.6
2014 1.1
2015 0.4
2016 1.0

What year again was the sequester? Hmmmm! Obama will have trillion dollar deficits 6 out of his 8 years in office but you would trumpet the year he halved the deficit? What is it about liberals that create this kind of loyalty?

By the way how you coming on finding the Bush signed 2009 budget that you want to blame on Bush? While you are research find me any accounting class that teaches tax cuts as an expense?

Now then there are those pesky little deficits that add up to debt. Here is the Obama debt

Fiscal
2009 11.9
2010 13.6
2011 14.8
2012 16.1
2913 16.7
2014 17.8
2015 18.2

2016 19.2

Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application)

False comparisons and intellectually dishonest

How do you figure that? Obama's first year in office $3.55 trillion. 2017 it's $4.2 trillion.

Facts are stubborn things, and with the new technology are easily verified.

It is so because you do not know the difference between a "budget deficit" and "national debt"..........

Study up friend.......

Back
Top Bottom