• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump Wants Sports Stars, Not Politicians, on Convention Stage

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
RICHMOND, Va. — Donald J. Trump has some ideas for how to jazz up the Republican National Convention, and he previewed one at a rally here on Friday evening: a “winner’s evening” of sports celebrities and champions addressing the convention rather than politicians.“We’re going to do it a little different, if it’s O.K.,” he told the crowd. “I’m thinking about getting some of the great sports people who like me a lot.”
After regaling the crowd with the long story of how he successfully courted the endorsement of Bobby Knight, the former Indiana University basketball coach, Mr. Trump rattled off a list of other names of sports figures who he said have supported him. According to the candidate, he also has the support of the star quarterbacks Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger; Brian France, the chief executive of Nascar; and Dana White, the president of Ultimate Fighting Championship.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/11/u...lican-convention-sports-celebrities.html?_r=0
Why I walked away from the GOP? This idiot is in charge...

i hope that Bobby Knight throws the empty chair instead of talking to it. that would be awesome.

bobby_knight_chair_toss.JPG

YEEEEHAAAW

aaa

Sure looks like he has decided that he is going to be "Goldwatered".

This plan might work and I dont have a better one.

So the leftists whine about Trump wanting people popular people in media to be at his inauguration. So what?

Did they whine when Obama was inundated with celebrities like Beyonce, Oprah Winfrey and Bruce Springsteen? Did they think it a little "over-the-top" when MTV ran an inaugural ball alongside the official one? Did they complain when it was found out that Obama's inauguration in 2009 costs a whopping 75 million dollars (highest bill for an inauguration ever)? Nope. Probably didn't think it lavish enough.

So the leftists whine about Trump wanting people popular people in media to be at his inauguration. So what?

Did they whine when Obama was inundated with celebrities like Beyonce, Oprah Winfrey and Bruce Springsteen? Did they think it a little "over-the-top" when MTV ran an inaugural ball alongside the official one? Did they complain when it was found out that Obama's inauguration in 2009 costs a whopping 75 million dollars (highest bill for an inauguration ever)? Nope. Probably didn't think it lavish enough.

Nobody's talking about an inauguration.

The government is about the people, not the politicians. That is the message.

Yes, it would be refreshing to see someone other than a bunch of dried up dull politicians.

That is very smart. It's an amp up version of Bill Clinton playing is sax on the Arsenio Hall show.

:lol: Love the spin.

One, a late night talk show =/= a party convention. Not by a long shot. (I swear, so far in this thread the people trying to defend it are really reaching.)

Two, it's Trump admitting he has no legitimate backing, so he's pulling in some high-profile people among his low-information sycophants to have some warm bodies on the stage.

I like the people in the background... ":yawn: Another day, another chair thrown by Bobby Knight."

yeah, no one was really surprised, lol. dude already had a reputation for losing his ****.

they covered it on the local news when i was a kid. i remember thinking, "wow, something interesting happened at a sports game." in the years after the chair throw, i read A Season On The Brink (awesome,) and i got interested enough to watch a lot of the 1986-1987 season. IU won (go, Keith Smart!) i also went to the Steve Alford basketball camp in 1988. can't say enough good things about that guy; he was awesome with the kids. fundamentals and drills from sunup to sundown; then he and his NBA buddies (he was with the Mavericks by that point) would scrimmage for a while. it was a sight to see.

That is very smart. It's an amp up version of Bill Clinton playing is sax on the Arsenio Hall show.

Trump's message is "Don't bother caring about what I believe in, what I want to do, how I want to do, LOOK!!! CELEBRITIES!!!!"

I'm not a leftist, but have fun with that spin... also.. inauguration? Trump should be watching someone ELSE'S in 2017...

Nice to see Ben Roethlisberger taking time out from his busy schedule of assaulting his girlfriends to show his support for The Donald.

Back
Top Bottom