• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump Thinks North Carolina Got It Wrong On Anti-LGBT Bathroom Bill

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Of course he does. Because he's a liberal.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said on Thursday that transgender people should be allowed to use whichever bathroom they prefer...

“North Carolina did something that was very strong and they’re paying a big price. There’s a lot of problems,” Trump said. “You leave it the way it is. There have been very few complaints the way it is. People go, they use the bathroom they feel is appropriate, there has been so little trouble, and the problem with what happened in North Carolina is the strife, and the economic punishment that they’re taking.”...

Trump’s position is a clear break from his rival for the Republican nomination, Sen. Ted Cruz (Texas), who has called the North Carolina bill a “perfectly reasonable determination for the people to make.”“Men should not be going to the bathroom with little girls,” he said in an MSNBC town hall earlier this month. Cruz repeated that position in response to Trump on Thursday and accused him of bending to political correctness.

... Seriously? Anyone who agrees with the bathroom bill is stupid to begin with, so Trump obviously knows something.. Oh right, the bill is stupid and harming NC.

Amazingly, Trump did not say much that is really wrong. And speaking of this subject, all North Carolina did was create a law that does not actively get enforced. It would take a complaint for something to really happen here. In the end North Carolina will have an economic price to pay for this thinking.

Thank you for posting what he actually said. His position is that they're making a mountain out of a molehill and taking a disproportionate economic hit because of it. Lyin Ted went right to the pedophilic thoughts. Guess we know where his head's at. :mrgreen:

Thank you for posting what he actually said. His position is that they're making a mountain out of a molehill and taking a disproportionate economic hit because of it. Lyin Ted went right to the pedophilic thoughts. Guess we know where his head's at. :mrgreen:

Actually your statement is full of holes.

Cruz responded weeks ago over the trans bathroom issue in NC and recognized the citizens of that state taking a stand against something the majority felt to be wrong. If it brings economic hardships due to activists pulling their businesses from the state so be it. They will survive just fine. To hear Trump talk we should all lower our principles in the name of the almighty dollar.

Trump doesn't share the views of the majority of people in North Carolina, He doesn't have a problem with shared bathrooms.

Oh and on a lighter note. Cruz Team just released a fabulous ad that is going viral on the internet.

Excellent!

Actually your statement is full of holes.

Cruz responded weeks ago over the trans bathroom issue in NC and recognized the citizens of that state taking a stand against something the majority felt to be wrong. If it brings economic hardships due to activists pulling their businesses from the state so be it. They will survive just fine. To hear Trump talk we should all lower our principles in the name of the almighty dollar.

Trump doesn't share the views of the majority of people in North Carolina, He doesn't have a problem with shared bathrooms.

No, you just fail to recognize that national leaders are faced with finding Solomon like decisions for issues like this. To do that effectively one must first gauge the actual scope of the problem. It's a molehill problem and NC has chosen a mountain solution. That's fine that NC has chosen how they have for themselves. However, I wouldn't want NC's issues to determine the solution for the nation. That solution would have to face the "is it worth the outcome" test.

And yes, Ted does do negative attack ads very well. Mostly because he has nothing positive to sell.

How about anyone can use whichever bathroom they want, but if you want to stand to pee, use the one with urinals?

Oh, and if you stand, don't use the urinal, don't raise the seat, and whiz all over it, you're sentenced to a full day scrubbing toilets, then thereafter have to do your business the way the bears do:

flat,800x800,070,f.u2.jpg

Of course he does. Because he's a liberal.

Well, he got that issue right, but I can't say it's 'because' he's a liberal. Can't see a thing in that quoted part that's even controversial. Thankfully my state saw what happened in NC and let our own version die a quiet death.

Interesting what Cruz said, though - "a perfectly reasonable determination for the people to make." I think what he means is the determination is "reasonable, so long as the people agree with me" since the entire point of the bill was to override what "the people" had determined in a few cities.

The funny thing is that Trump, siding with the left on this, and they still hate him. He's the only guy that wants to try and keep union jobs here, and the left hates him. He speaks out in favor of funding Planned Parenthood, and the left hates him.

That's what pissed me off about this.
Not what Trump said ... what Cruz said.
He declared Trump had said something he never said.
Cruz does that a lot and I suspect it's one of the biggest things that make him such an irritant to so many people.

The funny thing is that Trump, siding with the left on this, and they still hate him. He's the only guy that wants to try and keep union jobs here, and the left hates him. He speaks out in favor of funding Planned Parenthood, and the left hates him.

They hate him likely because he's a fool. Likely why many conservatives hate him too.

The funny thing is that Trump, siding with the left on this, and they still hate him. He's the only guy that wants to try and keep union jobs here, and the left hates him. He speaks out in favor of funding Planned Parenthood, and the left hates him
I don't agree the 'left' hates him. Well, at least not all. There's quite a few Dems I know that like him!

They don't think in terms of the Senate, the Court, etc. They're blue collar and working class, have seen their jobs lost to cheap labor from Mexico and overseas, and are older, white, and remember when America was on top of the world. As long as they paid their union dues at the plant or on the docks, they could work their 40, a little OT, and with some cautious spending they could have a nice little house with good company insurance for the kids, and a little pension nest-egg for after the house was paid-off.

It's all gone now, and Mr. Trump says he'll bring it all back. And that sounds pretty good to them.

I know several individuals just like this amongst my close friends and family!

That's what pissed me off about this.
Not what Trump said ... what Cruz said.
He declared Trump had said something he never said.
Cruz does that a lot and I suspect it's one of the biggest things that make him such an irritant to so many people.

Yeah, it's from the old dirty politician's handbook. Cruz is a master at it. But it's most effective for him when he does it through someone else because when folks see his face, they know he's lying again.

I don't agree the 'left' hates him. Well, at least not all. There's quite a few Dems I know that like him!

They don't think in terms of the Senate, the Court, etc. They're blue collar and working class, have seen their jobs lost to cheap labor from Mexico and overseas, and are older, white, and remember when America was on top of the world. As long as they paid their union dues at the plant or on the docks, they could work their 40, a little OT, and with some cautious spending they could have a nice little house with good company insurance for the kids, and a little pension nest-egg for after the house was paid-off.

It's all gone now, and Mr. Trump says he'll bring it all back. And that sounds pretty good to them.

I know several individuals just like this amongst my close friends and family!

Trump is saying what many of us on both the left and right want to hear. He's saying that he'll make America great again. Hillary is promising us four more years of the same old, same old... His message resonates. I disagree with him on many points but I choose him over the others.

Interesting what Cruz said, though - "a perfectly reasonable determination for the people to make." I think what he means is the determination is "reasonable, so long as the people agree with me" since the entire point of the bill was to override what "the people" had determined in a few cities.
To be fair, "the people" were no more involved in the Charlotte vote than they were in the vote that overturned it. In both cases it was entirely up to elected officials.

To be fair, "the people" were no more involved in the Charlotte vote than they were in the vote that overturned it. In both cases it was entirely up to elected officials.

Of course, since that's how government works in the U.S. and by this measure the "people" have no say in ANYTHING in most localities, but I'm not sure how that really addresses the point. Substitute "elected officials" for "the people" and his comment still doesn't make any sense. Why should elected STATE officials from cities and counties all over the state better reflect the will of the people in Charlotte than those individuals the people in Charlotte elected to represent them in city government?

A lot of the Republicans hate him, too, but it doesn't have anything to do with his liberal or conservative opinions. It's because he's a con man.

Careful, you may be talking about our next POTUS.

Why should I be careful in criticizing someone who may be the president? Do you criticize Obama or Hillary? One is the POTUS and the other could be too.

No, you just fail to recognize that national leaders are faced with finding Solomon like decisions for issues like this. To do that effectively one must first gauge the actual scope of the problem. It's a molehill problem and NC has chosen a mountain solution. That's fine that NC has chosen how they have for themselves. However, I wouldn't want NC's issues to determine the solution for the nation. That solution would have to face the "is it worth the outcome" test.

And yes, Ted does do negative attack ads very well. Mostly because he has nothing positive to sell.

You fail to recognize states business is just that states business. The bathroom issue shouldn't be the concern of the "national leader". Each state will deal with it accordingly. Today the governor of NC lashed out at Trump for his comments. He said their state's bill was a common sense solution. In fact the overwhelming majority in the country see it as such. You mocked Cruz for saying grown men should not be allowed to share a public bathroom with young girls. If you can't see the potential of how that could be abused then you are so Trumped up that all perspective has been lost. The huge rally Cruz held in PA today, were in total agreement with his comments. The applause was YUGE! Common sense, as Thomas Paine so eloquently penned has gone out the window and been replaced with PC. I hear the Cruz campaign started selling red ball caps today with a slogan on them "Make PC Great Again".

Your snark remark about Cruz making negative ads because he has nothing positive is pretty pathetic. First off the ad was brilliant. It killed two two old birds (Trump/Hillary) with one stone. Anyone who has spent his adult life defending the Constitution as Cruz's record shows is as positive a message for anyone who loves liberty/freedom could ask for.

Anyone seen the TV evangelists who have publically supported Trump like the Farwells and the Jeffries over Trump's latest revelation over trans bathroom issues? No doubt they have crawled back into their corners for the time being.

In that same interview, Trump vehemently supports raising taxes on the rich something he says he and Bernie have in common. That's amazing coming from a so called Republican because whether you are a moderate to conservative, all agree that raising taxes on those who invest capital that creates jobs thwarts economic growth. It also thwarts philanthropy donations to organizations that do much good for people in this country and around the world.

So Trump's points of view espoused today, I believe will not play well in much of PA or Indiana. They may for those in the NE, cue Billy Joel New York State of Mind, but not Republicans in the Midwest like Indiana nor a good portion of PA.

Last edited:
You fail to recognize states business is just that states business. The bathroom issue shouldn't be the concern of the "national leader". Each state will deal with it accordingly. Today the governor of NC lashed out at Trump for his comments. He said their state's bill was a common sense solution. In fact the overwhelming majority in the country see it as such. You mocked Cruz for saying grown men should not be allowed to share a public bathroom with young girls. If you can't see the potential of how that could be abused then you are so Trumped up that all perspective has been lost. The huge rally Cruz held in PA today, were in total agreement with his comments. The applause was YUGE! Common sense, as Thomas Paine so eloquently penned has gone out the window and been replaced with PC. I hear the Cruz campaign started selling red ball caps today with a slogan on them "Make PC Great Again".

Why is it the state's business and not the business of local governments, or the Feds?

You fail to recognize states business is just that states business. The bathroom issue shouldn't be the concern of the "national leader". Each state will deal with it accordingly.

I agree on the first and the last, as I thought I'd made clear. But the bolded I absolutely disagree with. It is the job of POTUS to be concerned with the decisions the states make for themselves. All these states must work together as a nation, even if they decide individually on issues. Just as a state's governor must be concerned with individual local decisions, the president must be concerned with individual state decisions. This is part of what the Executive Branch does.

So do cities and counties. For every state trooper I run into I'll see 50 local cops. They also have local governments that routinely pass local ordinances!

Why should cities not be allowed autonomy on this issue?

Why is it the state's business and not the business of local governments, or the Feds?

Actually, it isn't government's business at any level. One of the roles of government is not to tell people where to go to relieve themselves.

Back
Top Bottom