• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump selects Mike Pence as VP

Interesting. I remember him being in the news a lot through the years, and not because he was ranting about evil gay people. I remember when the Democrats controlled Congress he was the Conference Chairman, making him the 3rd most powerful Republican in DC. I remember when they were drafting him to oppose Evan Bayh for the Senate seat, and instead he opted to run for governor to try to secure Mitch Daniels' governor seat. I remember when he was the one who led the push for earmark reform 10 years ago or so, and how the earmarks he secured for his own state were under scrutiny. I remember his very vocal opposition to the drawdown in Iraq, and how he and John McCain travelled to Iraq and what was reported back by them when they returned. I remember a big newsworthy issue a couple of years ago in Indiana when he vetoed something that had to do with taxes and the Republican legislature overwhelmingly opposed his veto and the Democratic legislature overwhelmingly supported it.

Some people actually do know a lot about Pence, and I suspect those who don't and have an interest in him and are voting in November will actually do some homework on him. He isn't just a crazed homophobe.

I found this little tidbit from the website he used when he ran for a house seat in 2000.

Time for a quick reality check. Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn't kill. In fact, 2 out of every three smokers does not die from a smoking related illness and 9 out of ten smokers do not contract lung cancer. This is not to say that smoking is good for you.... news flash: smoking is not good for you. If you are reading this article through the blue haze of cigarette smoke you should quit. The relevant question is, what is more harmful to the nation, second hand smoke or back handed big government disguised in do-gooder healthcare rhetoric.

Mike Pence for Congress

I found this little tidbit from the website he used when he ran for a house seat in 2000.

Mike Pence for Congress

Yes, he made the news then too when he penned some sort of strange op-ed on smoking. I think I remember reading it, but it was a long time ago (and I had 3 little kids then). So I suspect anyone who chooses candidates based on their opinion of smoking probably won't be happy with Trump's choice.

Trump is having fun, this announcement was super understated, very unTrumpian, he is playing. My guess is that this is a shot across the the bow of Team Hillary...."oh so you think you know what I will do because that is what I have been doing for a year, Maybe I do, Maybe I dont.

Trump +1.

Clearly Trump is now being handled.

Interesting. I remember him being in the news a lot through the years, and not because he was ranting about evil gay people. I remember when the Democrats controlled Congress he was the Conference Chairman, making him the 3rd most powerful Republican in DC. I remember when they were drafting him to oppose Evan Bayh for the Senate seat, and instead he opted to run for governor to try to secure Mitch Daniels' governor seat. I remember when he was the one who led the push for earmark reform 10 years ago or so, and how the earmarks he secured for his own state were under scrutiny. I remember his very vocal opposition to the drawdown in Iraq, and how he and John McCain travelled to Iraq and what was reported back by them when they returned. I remember a big newsworthy issue a couple of years ago in Indiana when he vetoed something that had to do with taxes and the Republican legislature overwhelmingly opposed his veto and the Democratic legislature overwhelmingly supported it.

Whether you, a political junky, remember him, and whether it was national news are two different things. I remember a lot of things about politicians in the North East that NEVER became national news (as in, the nation cared about them) even though I remember them. Mike Pence just isn't a well known politician, as a matter of fact, on a national scale, he's not known for anything other than being anti-gay. :shrug:

Some people actually do know a lot about Pence

Those people are irrelevant to the statements I made.

and I suspect those who don't and have an interest in him and are voting in November will actually do some homework on him. He isn't just a crazed homophobe.

Really?

Indiana Gov Mike Pence Punts On LGBT Non-Discrimination Protections in State of the State Address | Human Rights Campaign

Last year, Pence inflicted a tremendous amount of damage to the state’s reputation and business climate when he signed legislation allowing individuals to use religion as an excuse to discriminate against LGBT people and other minorities. Facing economic damage and mounting public pressure from fair-minded Americans and business leaders across the country, he then signed legislation that limited the damage of the state’s new Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), but fell far short of providing a full solution. The measure failed to explicitly ensure that the new law wouldn’t be used to undermine the full scope of Indiana existing non-discrimination laws, and did not add LGBT non-discrimination protections to the state’s civil rights laws.

When you're passing laws trying to justify discrimination of gays, you are a crazy homophobe. Stop defending their homophobia because you like other aspects.

Yes, he made the news then too when he penned some sort of strange op-ed on smoking. I think I remember reading it, but it was a long time ago (and I had 3 little kids then). So I suspect anyone who chooses candidates based on their opinion of smoking probably won't be happy with Trump's choice.

It is also worth noting how much money mike pence received as contributions from tobacco companies

Rep. Mike Pence: Campaign Finance/Money - Top Donors - Representative Career | OpenSecrets

Here's what the people of Indiana (Pence's home state) think of Donald Drumpfs pick

"You suck"....LOL

Just adding to your point on the left wing blogs saying whatever they want, regardless of facts.

ok, but by not quoting those guilty of actually lacking reading comprehension, they probably didn't even notice your reply.

Whether you, a political junky, remember him, and whether it was national news are two different things. I remember a lot of things about politicians in the North East that NEVER became national news (as in, the nation cared about them) even though I remember them. Mike Pence just isn't a well known politician, as a matter of fact, on a national scale, he's not known for anything other than being anti-gay. :shrug:

Those people are irrelevant to the statements I made.

Really?

Indiana Gov Mike Pence Punts On LGBT Non-Discrimination Protections in State of the State Address | Human Rights Campaign

When you're passing laws trying to justify discrimination of gays, you are a crazy homophobe. Stop defending their homophobia because you like other aspects.

Most VP picks are not nationally known figures. How many non-political types do you think really knew who Joe Biden was? Paul Ryan? Geraldine Ferraro? Al Gore? Walter Mondale? George W. Bush? Dick Cheney? Sarah Palin? jack Kemp? Probably the only VP in decades who was a "household name" was Nelson Rockefeller when Ford chose him, only because most everyone has heard of that last name.

And as I said, he isn't just a crazed homophobe. He actually has some experience beyond opposing gay marriage. To the one issue voters (gay rights), he isn't appealing. But I don't suspect most of those people were going to vote for Trump over Hillary anyway.

I don't agree with everything any politician does or think. I doubt anyone does. I'm sure a lot of people will be voting for Hillary who vehemently oppose Wall Street and anything remotely attached to Wall Street, in spite of their opposition to her cozy relationship with Wall Street.

I'm not defending anyone's homophobia, by the way. I said he isn't just a crazed homophobe. If his homophobia bothers you that much, don't vote for him. I won't be voting for him in November. But not because of his homophobia, and not because I don't know who he is. I do know who he is. And a lot of people who pay attention to something other than The Bachelor know who he is too. But those who don't know him, as has been the case with every other VP candidate on both sides of the aisle in my lifetime, will do research on him, and draw their own conclusions.

Christie would've been a bad choice, IMO. You don't want both halves of the ticket to be from the same region, and two abrasive, loud-mouthed personalities on the ticket? Please.

For most of my life I always believed in geographical balance. Then came Clinton & Gore who won in 92 and 96 and that dismissed the entire geographical balance argument that almost everyone in politics had believed up until that time.

You are right that both Trump and Christie are abrasive.

... Lol... well... this post must be embarrassing.

Who is supposed to be embarrassed?

I slept on it, I still like....to the point, insightful, a little witty, a little fun.

I score that a WIN.

Yeah, that will bump his numbers, bring on board someone most Americans have never even heard of.

:-( I was really rooting for Carrot Top.

Too often of late Trump has been acting like he is running for Chairman of the AMWAY convention(I dont really know for a fact that there is such a position, just saying for rhetorical purposes) not running for leader of the free world, last chance for humanity POTUS chair.

Regarding Palin speaking on Trump's behalf at the convention...Trump borrows some wisdom from Sarah...

She was asked,” Trump told the Washington Examiner in a phone interview on Thursday. “It’s a little bit difficult because of where she is. We love Sarah. Little bit difficult because of, you know, it’s a long ways away.”

Trump Offers Jaw Droppingly Dumb Reason Why Sarah Palin Wasn't Invited To GOP Convention

:lamo

:lol: Now I' don't care who you are, that's funny, right there :)

She was used and discarded. Normally I'd feel sorry for folks in that situation, but she earned it by endorsing him.

Yes, clearly, LOL! Can you name a candidate in the last 30 years that no one said that about?

Not my point. His announcement was a clear departure for him.

The weirdest thing about this is that Pence is pretty much irrelevant on a national scale. The only time he is in the news is when he's ranting about the evil gay people or opposing anti-discrimination bills.

I think you have "the only time he's in the news" confused with "what liberal media outlets say". Pence has a solid background, that is, agreeably, made weaker by his willingness to fold on Constitutional rights.

We need to carry on the tradition that the future First Man was anxious to keep going.

True, seems as if they are ALL sinners, oh just one point, all her flaws noted, Hillary is not one of the Cheaters, she got cheated on.

:lol: Now I' don't care who you are, that's funny, right there :)

She was used and discarded. Normally I'd feel sorry for folks in that situation, but she earned it by endorsing him.

Yeah. Her dropped her like a bad case of the clap.

True, seems as if they are ALL sinners, oh just one point, all her flaws noted, Hillary is not one of the Cheaters, she got cheated on.

Tell that to her partners in the Rose Law Firm.

Most VP picks are not nationally known figures. How many non-political types do you think really knew who Joe Biden was? Paul Ryan? Geraldine Ferraro? Al Gore? Walter Mondale? George W. Bush? Dick Cheney? Sarah Palin? jack Kemp? Probably the only VP in decades who was a "household name" was Nelson Rockefeller when Ford chose him, only because most everyone has heard of that last name.

With the exception of Ferraro and Palin, all of them were pretty well known nationally.

Back
Top Bottom