• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is atta

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is attacked and threatening to 'walk' away from treaty

onald Trump has savaged Japan, one of America's closest allies, stating that if the US is attacked, all Japan would do is "sit home and watch Sony television". He expressed his frustration that the US is bound by treaty to defend the Asian nation but that if the United States is attacked, the Japanese cannot help because of Article 9, which constitutionally forbids it to send armed forces overseas.

He said that it "could be necessary" for the US to walk away from the treaty, or at least threaten to do so.

Donald Trump has just made another friend. Kim Jong Un.

Article is here.

Re: Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is

Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is attacked and threatening to 'walk' away from treaty

Donald Trump has just made another friend. Kim Jong Un.

Article is here.

Okay, that's satire, right? We just got fooled by another online satire news site, so now I'm just confused.

Re: Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is

Ahhahahaahahaha, I don't think that's satire.

Okay, that's satire, right? We just got fooled by another online satire news site, so now I'm just confused.

Actually, that's not satire. That's a real story from The Telegraph.

Knowing how Trump is, it's probably not satire.

He does say some incredibly stupid stuff sometimes.

Last edited:

He is being utterly disrespectful to our Asian counterparts.

Knowing how Trump is, it's probsbly not satire.

He does say some incredibly stupid stuff sometimes.

If by "sometimes" you mean "every five minutes," then yes, he says some incredibly stupid stuff some times.

We really do need to have a betting pool going on here: which demographic will Trump not alienate come election time?

So the US and Japan signed a mutual treaty to aid each other in the event of an attack. However as it turns out Trump is correct in stating that Japan would not come to US aid?

Trump is absolutely correct in stating that it's a bad treaty and a bad deal.

How? By correctly pointing out that Japan will not fulfill their end of a mutual treaty?

How? By correctly pointing out that Japan will not fulfill their end of a mutual treaty?

Well that's the beautiful thing about so much of what he says, which is that there is a child-like logic to his thinking which is true at some level and fantastically ignorant of the larger picture. And his supporters love it because they're too insulated and uneducated to possibly comprehend that larger picture. They are the ultimate "Brexit" voters of our country: giving the middle finger to every international treaty and organization without having done five minutes of googling to find out what those institutions even are.

Well that's the beautiful thing about so much of what he says, which is that there is a child-like logic to his thinking which is true at some level and fantastically ignorant of the larger picture. And his supporters love it because they're too insulated and uneducated to possibly comprehend that larger picture. They are the ultimate "Brexit" voters of our country: giving the middle finger to every international treaty and organization without having done five minutes of googling to find out what those institutions even are.
Instead of insulting Trump supporters, explain what's wrong with what he said. If Japan will indeed send military troops to defend the US if we are attacked them say so.

Instead of insulting Trump supporters, explain what's wrong with what he said. If Japan will indeed send military troops to defend the US if we are attacked them say so.

I wonder: You and I and everybody else here know that there was this little conflict called "World War Two" in which Japan was our opponent, and we beat them and occupied them and we all just sort of assume that Trump knows that too, because who could be that ****ing stupid? But I'm kind of suspecting that Trump doesn't actually know any of that. Along with his child-like question, "Why can't we use nuclear weapons?" we just assume that there's some perfectly rational explanation for such a statement. But you know what? I don't think there is. I think he's just an idiot.

Japan can't do much though, that's the thing. If I recall after WW2 they weren't allowed to have a military beyond a basic defense force with a pact that the US would take care of them and treat an attack on Japan as an attack on the US. The whole "sitting and watching Sony TV" was uncalled for though. I've been to Japan, the average Japanese citizen works more than their US counterparts.

So the US and Japan signed a mutual treaty to aid each other in the event of an attack. However as it turns out Trump is correct in stating that Japan would not come to US aid?

No, he's not correct. Your possible future President is an imbecile of epic proportions. I'm not Japanese and I'm not American yet I'm familiar with this, it was discussed in many media outlets and hardly a secret.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Japanese_military_legislation

How can someone campaigning to be the President of the USA not know this?

Japan can't do much though, that's the thing. If I recall after WW2 they weren't allowed to have a military beyond a basic defense force with a pact that the US would take care of them and treat an attack on Japan as an attack on the US. The whole "sitting and watching Sony TV" was uncalled for though. I've been to Japan, the average Japanese citizen works more than their US counterparts.

All that is very true. However, part of that changed last year; from the Wiki article: "In 2015, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe and the ruling Liberal Democratic Party promoted legislation, passed on September 19, 2015, despite some of the public opposition, to allow the country's military to participate in foreign conflicts, overturning its previous policy of fighting only in self-defense." This is, IMHO, the key part: "Since the Japanese constitution only allows the Japanese military to act in self-defense, the legislation reinterpreted the relevant passages to allow the military to operate overseas for "collective self-defense" for allies.[1] The legislation came into effect on March 29, 2016."

Gen Douglas MacArthur is the one who helped design that Constitution of Japan, based from the experience of WW2. We did this to ourselves on purpose. Someone needs to educate Trump. He needs someone in his camp that will tell him this stuff.

All that is very true. However, part of that changed last year; from the Wiki article: "In 2015, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe and the ruling Liberal Democratic Party promoted legislation, passed on September 19, 2015, despite some of the public opposition, to allow the country's military to participate in foreign conflicts, overturning its previous policy of fighting only in self-defense." This is, IMHO, the key part: "Since the Japanese constitution only allows the Japanese military to act in self-defense, the legislation reinterpreted the relevant passages to allow the military to operate overseas for "collective self-defense" for allies.[1] The legislation came into effect on March 29, 2016."

That may be true, but I still think his comments weren't polite, diplomatic, and didn't serve any beneficial purpose between us and one of our closest allies. One thing I hate about most politicians is they always have these carefully scripted rehearsed answers to questions, part of what I hate about Trump is he's too much of the complete opposite.

The Japs need to pay more of the freight

Does anyone want to take the opposing view before we move on to the inevitable "TRUMP IS RIGHT"?

SIGNED:
HAWkEYE10
:gunsmilie
Proud member of the REBELLION since 9.10.2015

No, he's not correct. Your possible future President is an imbecile of epic proportions. I'm not Japanese and I'm not American yet I'm familiar with this, it was discussed in many media outlets and hardly a secret.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Japanese_military_legislation

How can someone campaigning to be the President of the USA not know this?

He is NOT an imbecile. He is like the rest of America under informed. Most people wouldn't know that it was us who made the Japanese accept their current constitution. Further is us who insisted they forbid their military to operate offensively, or to come to the aid of other nations. We are the ones who put the Japanese military in their current position. We did all this directly after WW2.

The Japs need to pay more of the freight

Does anyone want to take the opposing view before we move on to the inevitable "TRUMP IS RIGHT"?

SIGNED:
HAWkEYE10
:gunsmilie
Proud member of the REBELLION since 9.10.2015

Pay more of what freight? Also you do understand it is we who imposed this situation on Japan. Imposed. Not negotiated.

He is NOT an imbecile. He is like the rest of America under informed. Most people wouldn't know that it was us who made the Japanese accept their current constitution. Further is us who insisted they forbid their military to operate offensively, or to come to the aid of other nations. We are the ones who put the Japanese military in their current position. We did all this directly after WW2.

The US Elite have long volunteered the US Taxpayers to pay bills that we never remotely approved.

Anyone who is able to understand the reality of that fact should instantly understand everything that there is to know about the REBELLION.

Back
Top Bottom