• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump praises Saddam Hussein for killing terrorists

Hatuey

Rule of Two
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-praises-saddam-hussein-for-killing-terrorists-042456610.html

[FONT=&quot]Speaking to about 2,000 people at a rally in what is expected to be a battleground state this fall, the presumptive Republican nominee had been trashing President Barack Obama’s handling of terrorism and offering a critique of his likely Democratic rival Hillary Clinton’s ability to keep the country safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]when he veered off written notes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Saddam Hussein was a bad guy, right?” Trump declared. “He was a bad guy, really bad guy. But you know what he did well? He killed terrorists. He did that so good. They didn’t read them rights. They didn’t talk. They were terrorists. It was over.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Trump, who supported the Iraq War in the early months of the conflict but later disavowed it, also criticized the United State’s decision to invade Iraq and remove Hussein from power, suggesting it “destabilized the region.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Today, Iraq is the Harvard for terrorism,” Trump said. “You want to be a terrorist, you go to Iraq. It’s like Harvard, okay?”[/FONT]

Putting aside Trump regurgitating what is essentially a left wing argument while trying to entice the alt-right to vote for him, that last bolded statement me laugh. I am guessing they shouldn't go to whatever the Trump University of terrorism is? They probably won't get their money's worth. They'll be sold plastic explosives made out of legos for 20x their actual price.

:lol:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-praises-saddam-hussein-for-killing-terrorists-042456610.html

Putting aside Trump regurgitating what is essentially a left wing argument while trying to entice the alt-right to vote for him, that last bolded statement me laugh. I am guessing they shouldn't go to whatever the Trump University of terrorism is? They probably won't get their money's worth. They'll be sold plastic explosives made out of legos for 20x their actual price.

I don't get what the big deal is on this one.

Bad guys can kill bad people . . . and good guys sometimes don't do anything. A various versions thereof.

What people should really be more bothered by is his assertion Obama hasn't done anything - focusing on the point might actually produce interesting discussions on our actual efforts against therrorism and where we stand. But instead, as usual, people who don't like Trump don't ever want to take the time to talk about the things he's REALLY saying.

Actually, he did not praise Saddam. He pointed out an unpleasant fact.

Actually, he did not praise Saddam. He pointed out an unpleasant fact.

I don't get what the big deal is on this one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein_and_al-Qaeda_link_allegations

In the lead up to the Iraq War, U.S. President George W. Bush alleged that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and militant group al-Qaeda might conspire to launch terrorist attacks on the United States,[2] basing the administration's rationale for war, in part, on this allegation and others. The consensus of intelligence experts has been that these contacts never led to an operational relationship, and that consensus is backed up by reports from the independent 9/11 Commission and by declassified Defense Department reports[3] as well as by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, whose 2006 report of Phase II of its investigation into prewar intelligence reports concluded that there was no evidence of ties between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda.[4] Critics of the Bush Administration have said Bush was intentionally building a case for war with Iraq without regard to factual evidence. On April 29, 2007, former Director of Central Intelligence George Tenet said on 60 Minutes, "We could never verify that there was any Iraqi authority, direction and control, complicity with al-Qaeda for 9/11 or any operational act against America, period."[5]

I think the main conclusion to draw from this is that a President Trump would ramp up extra-judicial killings. Suggesting that the good thing about Hussein was his habit of dispensing with legal process when he felt like it. Let's not forget, it wasn't only terrorists he did this with. It was also meted out on political opponents who never engaged in any violent activity. Trump says, "Hussein was a bad guy, right? He was a bad guy." Anyone else struck by how mild a rebuke that sounded? What followed shows us that Trump was really a bit of a fan.

I think the main conclusion to draw from this is that a President Trump would ramp up extra-judicial killings. Suggesting that the good thing about Hussein was his habit of dispensing with legal process when he felt like it. Let's not forget, it wasn't only terrorists he did this with. It was also meted out on political opponents who never engaged in any violent activity. Trump says, "Hussein was a bad guy, right? He was a bad guy." Anyone else struck by how mild a rebuke that sounded? What followed shows us that Trump was really a bit of a fan.

There was no legal process in Iraq during Saddam's reign. The rights of the Iraqi citizens were left at the gate of Saddam's palaces.

Trump was referring to Saddam's quick, and decisive use of force, regardless of how his analogy is spun up in the media and on here @ DP.

Obama is already killing American citizens without due process, so I do not see why the left is all in a uproar over Trump's analogy of findings way to be more effective in using force.

Obama is already killing American citizens without due process, so I do not see why the left is all in a uproar over Trump's analogy of findings way to be more effective in using force.

It is the left that is in uproar over Obama's actions too. Those on the right complaining about them weren't a bit concerned about extrajudicial killings until the person ordering them had a D by their name.

Add Putin as a role model. Trump loves Trump. He admires dictators, people like him, or who he thinks are like him. He had his is own little dictator fantasy hour, firing people on television. He is in his element at his rallies, the one man show, practically a vaudeville act except for the fascism, and except for the democracy part, he surely loves his country.

It is the left that is in uproar over Obama's actions too. Those on the right complaining about them weren't a bit concerned about extrajudicial killings until the person ordering them had a D by their name.

I disagree with that. There are many politicians on both sides of the aisle that warned about the slippery slope of killing Americans without due process.

The issue was talked about on a few of the Sunday talking head shows, and I was actually impressed to see a little bipartisanship on the issue.

I disagree with that. There are many politicians on both sides of the aisle that warned about the slippery slope of killing Americans without due process.

I wasn't aware of much of that bi-partisanship over extra-judicial killings during the Bush years. Perhaps I just missed them.

There was no legal process in Iraq during Saddam's reign. The rights of the Iraqi citizens were left at the gate of Saddam's palaces.

Trump was referring to Saddam's quick, and decisive use of force, regardless of how his analogy is spun up in the media and on here @ DP.

So after listening to the clip or reading the transcript, what's the takeaway of what a Pres. Trump would do differently? Obviously he thinks we've been paying way too much attention to the "rightsss" (as he said it) of suspected terrorists so less of that and no talking and more summary executions, but beyond that it's tough to know.

So the way to be more "effective using force" is to adopt the killing and torture methods of a brutal dictator who had zero regard for the notion of human rights? In addition to the obvious - torture and execution of any enemy, real or perceived, to Iraq or the Saddam regime - the regime tortured soccer players for losing matches. It's odd how the disrespect for rights never is limited to only the bad guys....

The issue was talked about on a few of the Sunday talking head shows, and I was actually impressed to see a little bipartisanship on the issue.

So why did you bring in Obama and "the left" to try to derail the discussion into partisan bickering? Besides, there is plenty of opposition from 'the left' to Obama's drone campaign in general that has killed hundreds of innocents, and the killing of Americans without due process in particular.

So why did you bring in Obama and "the left" to try to derail the discussion into partisan bickering? Besides, there is plenty of opposition from 'the left' to Obama's drone campaign in general that has killed hundreds of innocents, and the killing of Americans without due process in particular.

Because it is the most recent example? Pretty simple.

And what do you want to say by that? We know you take a selective view of President Bush. And everyone has read all the relevant papers all the way back to the first Iraq war. Iraq2 was legal and legitimate. What can be debated is, whether it was smart and whether we didn't let ourselves be played very neatly by Putin and his two allies.

I'm simply pointing out the obvious. That Trump's own statements are inconsistent with the narrative his party has pushed out for nearly 2 decades concerning Saddam Hussein.

Trump spoke the truth, without regard for what the PC Left media thinks. Dictators keep vermin like Islamists in check - just like how smaller predators like snakes keep rodents in check, or spiders keep other bugs in check. Dubya screwed up in Iraq, eliminated not just Saddam but his entire political party, etc - and basically created a vacuum for ISIS to emerge and fill. Hillary was likewise cheering Qaddafi's death, even after the US had supposedly buried the hatchet with him. Now Libya too is under ISIS chaos. Strongmen, while far from ideal, are nevertheless clearly better than Islamists.

Trump pointed out an unpleasant truth:

Middle east dictators keep order by the use of brutal enforcement. We don't have to like it, or sign on to it, but it does illustrate why we make deals that leave dictators in place rather than "throw them out and see what happens".

Even Mohammed back in the day knew that murder and torture was the only way to control an interbred society of nut cases, and wrote a book on how they must be controlled like children. Give them independent thought and you get ISIS, Hamas, Hezbollah, among others.

"Insane asylums need strong restraints".

Trump's heroes seem to be Hussein, Putin, those who orchestrated the Tianamen Square Massacre, and Kim Jong Un. Who does he admire next? Adolph Hitler? Joseph Stalin? Pol Pot?

Trump pointed out an unpleasant truth:

Middle east dictators keep order by the use of brutal enforcement. We don't have to like it, or sign on to it, but it does illustrate why we make deals that leave dictators in place rather than "throw them out and see what happens".

Even Mohammed back in the day knew that murder and torture was the only way to control an interbred society of nut cases, and wrote a book on how they must be controlled like children. Give them independent thought and you get ISIS, Hamas, Hezbollah, among others.

"Insane asylums need strong restraints".

I think the problem is he implies in that clip and in other statements outright embraces the U.S. under a Trump 'signing on to it.' Ex. - " “When you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families,” he said on Fox & Friends. “You have to take out their families.”

I'm simply pointing out the obvious. That Trump's own statements are inconsistent with the narrative his party has pushed out for nearly 2 decades concerning Saddam Hussein.

A lot of things Trump says has skewered the official party line. Have you not noticed that his position on trade goes against his party's traditional stance? Have you not noticed that what he's said on NATO goes against his party's traditional stance? It's like you're just noticing his contrarian stances for the first time. That's why a lot of people are voting for him.

A lot of things Trump says has skewered the official party line.

Trump's lines aren't critical of the party line. They're inconsistent with reality. See:

- Building walls and making other countries pay for them
- Banning demographics from entering the US
- Having his job (presumably as a steelworker) be stolen by an immigrant

More sad proof the GOP has gone to ****ing ****.

Trump's heroes seem to be Hussein, Putin, those who orchestrated the Tianamen Square Massacre, and Kim Jong Un. Who does he admire next? Adolph Hitler? Joseph Stalin? Pol Pot?

Typical Godwinisms from the Left. Nowhere has Trump praised Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler. Wasn't your precious Democrat FDR able to work with Stalin? The Carter regime and its catspaw Zbigniew Brzezinski notoriously supported Pol Pot to undermine Vietnam. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Back
Top Bottom