• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Donald Trump Jr. Gave the Speech His Dad Can’t Give, and These Conservatives & Pundit

PirateMk1

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Donald Trump Jr. Gave the Speech His Dad Can’t Give, and These Conservatives & Pundits Loved It

Donald Trump Jr. seems to understand conservative policy preferences and the details of politics in a way his father seems utterly incapable of understanding it. More than that, he can articulate it. This was, by any measure, a very, very good convention speech.
So much so, in fact, that he received praise from some decidedly "not Trump" corners.

Donald Trump Jr. Gave the Speech His Dad Can't Give, and These Conservatives & Pundits Loved It | RedState

I thought it was a pretty good speech for a Trump. Your thoughts?

Re: Donald Trump Jr. Gave the Speech His Dad Can’t Give, and These Conservatives & Pu

My wife saw it, and said he should consider a career in politics.

Re: Donald Trump Jr. Gave the Speech His Dad Can’t Give, and These Conservatives & Pu

I thought he was excellent!

Of all the Trump kids, I think he's the star.

The 22yo was pretty dayem good, too! Shockingly good - for her age!

She was pretty good too. I didn't realize she was only 22.

I watched a replay of his speech and I have to say I am very impressed with this young man. I wish he was the candidate instead of his father. From what I understand, he's also a real conservative (not a convenient convert because he wanted to be POTUS). He's articulate, bright, and a very appealing person.

He got his mother's genes.

Don Jr hit a grand slam with that speech! Excellent delivery and content.

Maybe a future candidate? Looking forward to watching Eric and Ivanka tonight.

She was pretty good too. I didn't realize she was only 22.
Two months out of UPenn ...

My wife saw it, and said he should consider a career in politics.

Seems to me he's already in politics, no? ;)

I watched a replay of his speech and I have to say I am very impressed with this young man. I wish he was the candidate instead of his father. From what I understand, he's also a real conservative (not a convenient convert because he wanted to be POTUS). He's articulate, bright, and a very appealing person.

He got his mother's genes.
I draw more from progressivism than than conservatism, but his is the kind of conservatism I can respect, draw from, and have incorporated into my and my family's life.

Donald Junior's father pushed his kids in avenues of development that allow for a well empowered kid:

A good world-class education, combined with the practical experience and work-ethic of entry-level manual labor of the common man, along with the practical experience of close mentorship at the highest levels of business and entrepreneurship!

A very potent combination, and it shows!

Say what you want about the egotistical, thrice married, narcissist, near cradle-robber billionaire - but he fathered a great brood! :thumbs:

Hm. This was solid - and features no major screw ups. It's clear the intent was to have some actual policy from the Trumps, and this was good as far as presentation. "Dodd Frank is consumer protection for billionaires". That's a great line. So was the "Ask yourself: if that was you at 3 a.m., who would you rather call?"

I find his lambasting of "the other party" a bit... odd.... given that he's a member of that party.... Hitting Hillary on restricting the 2nd Amendment is tricky for someone advocating a GOP candidate who supports restricting the 2nd Amendment. Hitting Democrats on big government is a bit rich for someone advocating for a GOP candidate who himself supports big, centralized government.

But generally, a solid speech. The obvious attempt to get rolling applause going faltered a bit, but solid.

What does that mean "for a Trump"?

It was a little more detailed than pops usually does in his speeches.

Hm. This was solid - and features no major screw ups. It's clear the intent was to have some actual policy from the Trumps, and this was good as far as presentation. "Dodd Frank is consumer protection for billionaires". That's a great line. So was the "Ask yourself: if that was you at 3 a.m., who would you rather call?"

I find his lambasting of "the other party" a bit... odd.... given that he's a member of that party.... Hitting Hillary on restricting the 2nd Amendment is tricky for someone advocating a GOP candidate who supports restricting the 2nd Amendment. Hitting Democrats on big government is a bit rich for someone advocating for a GOP candidate who himself supports big, centralized government.

But generally, a solid speech. The obvious attempt to get rolling applause going faltered a bit, but solid.
To the bolded: I agree.

'Applause lines' was his only (moderate) weakness, and if he can get the timing & delivery down in that aspect, he'd be pretty much all there.

Christie was the master of applause and audience interaction (and most everything), last night. I'm sure the Donald Jr. grasshopper was paying attention, looking & learning!

It was a little more detailed than pops usually does in his speeches.

It referenced policies, rather than attitudes, and sold results, rather than emotions.

Back
Top Bottom