• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump grants clemency to 143 people (not himself or family members) in final hours

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Gifts that keep on giving. :(

Donald Trump pardons: Steve Bannon, Elliott Broidy, Kwame Kilpatrick (usatoday.com)

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly used his clemency authority as a political tool rather than an act of mercy, issued a final wave of pardons and commutations on his last night in office, delivering relief for a mix of beneficiaries that included former strategist Stephen Bannon, Republican Party and Trump fundraiser Elliott Broidy, and former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, found guilty in 2013 of corruption charges.

He granted pardons to 73 people and commuted the sentences of another 70 people, according to a news release from the White House.

Several high-profile figures received pardons, including:

• Former Republican House member Rick Renzi of Arizona, convicted in 2013 of extortion, bribery, insurance fraud, money laundering, and racketeering. Renzi left prison in 2017.
  • Former Rep. Randall “Duke” Cunningham, R-Calif., who was released from prison in 2013 after serving eight years for charges of bribery, fraud, and tax evasion.
  • Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., the rapper known as Lil Wayne, who pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm and ammunition by a convicted felon.
  • Broidy, who pleaded guilty to acting as an unregistered foreign agent and accepting money from Chinese and Malaysian interests to lobby the Trump administration.
  • Bannon, who was awaiting trial in Manhattan on federal fraud charges tied to a border wall fundraising effort.

I noticed those that stormed the capital were not on the list lol.

I'm pleasantly baffled that he didn't pardon his family, or even himself. And as bomberfox, said, that he didn't pardon the insurrectionists is also pleasantly baffling. There's a story here.

Donald Trump pardons: Steve Bannon, Elliott Broidy, Kwame Kilpatrick (usatoday.com)

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly used his clemency authority as a political tool rather than an act of mercy, issued a final wave of pardons and commutations on his last night in office, delivering relief for a mix of beneficiaries that included former strategist Stephen Bannon, Republican Party and Trump fundraiser Elliott Broidy, and former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, found guilty in 2013 of corruption charges.

He granted pardons to 73 people and commuted the sentences of another 70 people, according to a news release from the White House.

• Former Republican House member Rick Renzi of Arizona, convicted in 2013 of extortion, bribery, insurance fraud, money laundering, and racketeering. Renzi left prison in 2017.
  • Former Rep. Randall “Duke” Cunningham, R-Calif., who was released from prison in 2013 after serving eight years for charges of bribery, fraud, and tax evasion.
  • Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., the rapper known as Lil Wayne, who pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm and ammunition by a convicted felon.
  • Broidy, who pleaded guilty to acting as an unregistered foreign agent and accepting money from Chinese and Malaysian interests to lobby the Trump administration.
  • Bannon, who was awaiting trial in Manhattan on federal fraud charges tied to a border wall fundraising effort.

No Joe Exotic? The American people have been robbed.

I'm pleasantly baffled that he didn't pardon his family, or even himself. And as bomberfox, said, that he didn't pardon the insurrectionists is also pleasantly baffling. There's a story here.

I’m going to wager that there are pardons that are not public, yet.

If Joe Exotic was secretly pardoned, I am willing to forgive Trump for everything. The insane Tweeting; The conspiracy theories; The botched pandemic response and hundreds of thousands of additional dead; The election interference in Georgia and threatening the Secretary of State; whipping up a lynch mob to perform the Capitol Hill putsch....everything. Just free Joe Exotic. 😭

I noticed those that stormed the capital were not on the list lol.

That is going to be interesting long-term. As these people, many of whom thought they were there to save the Trump presidency, begin to realize Trump turned their back on them and headed out of town leaving them to face federal charges and large legal bills, we may see mass disillusionment among much of the core of the Trump cult. They will realize, like followers of Jim Jones, to the cult leader you are fundamentally disposal. He has no respect for his followers. He needs them, but does not care about them.

I think Trump will be going the way of Sarah Palin. We will recognize his name, shutter at the memories and then move on to a more interesting subject for our conversation.

I fear you are correct.

Trump is the big bad boggy man. Just ask any democratic. :rolleyes:
There might be secret pardons? Can't make this crap up.

That is going to be interesting long-term. As these people, many of whom thought they were there to save the Trump presidency, begin to realize Trump turned their back on them and headed out of town leaving them to face federal charges and large legal bills, we may see mass disillusionment among much of the core of the Trump cult.

I think Trump will be going the way of Sarah Palin. We will recognize his name, shutter at the memories and then move on to a more interesting subject for our conversation.

Let us not be unfairly harsh to Sarah Palin. Mrs. Palin is a shining beacon of civic responsibility when placed against Donald Trump.

Rick Renzi? JFC, that guy is pure slime, at least he served a full prison sentence.

Broidy...pure scum

Bannon....don't even start...

Let us not be unfairly harsh to Sarah Palin. Mrs. Palin is a shining beacon of civic responsibility when placed against Donald Trump.

Yes, sad but true. I also grew quite nostalgic for George W. Bush during the Trump years.

Well, if you want to see corruption, well you got your President now. Already sold his office as VP, now he will hike up his prices as President.

Ain’t it just like Obama, Clinton, who set the president of pardoning the most agregec client In America.

If Joe Exotic was secretly pardoned, I am willing to forgive Trump for everything. The insane Tweeting; The conspiracy theories; The botched pandemic response and hundreds of thousands of additional dead; The election interference in Georgia and threatening the Secretary of State; whipping up a lynch mob to perform the Capitol Hill putsch....everything. Just free Joe Exotic. 😭

Yes, and not one word about a pardon for Bill Cosby. What the hell.

Well, if you want to see corruption, well you got your President now. Already sold his office as VP, now he will hike up his prices as President.
Stop projecting. Biden is not obsessed with money and power like the one term mistake. Biden is the opposite of him in nearly every way.

Not to mention that Bannon's pardon is a hollow one since the Feds will just march down to the Manhattan DA's office and hand him the papers for his prosecution.

Trump is the big bad boggy man.

Not anymore! No longer has Presidential powers or immunity, doesn't have the bully bullpit of Presidential press conferences, and he's been banished from nearly all social media.

His dick may as well have been cut off.

Back
Top Bottom