• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump Brings Back the Talk of Default

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Donald Trump Brings Back the Default Talk - The Atlantic

If the economy crashes, “I’m going to give you back half,” the presumptive Republican nominee tells the nation’s creditors.

“Donald Trump’s bold—and potentially dangerous—plan to default on the nation’s debt is back.

In an appearance Wednesday morning on CBS This Morning, the presumptive Republican nominee returned to an idea he floated back in May: that if the U.S. economy “crashed,” he would offer to pay U.S. creditors less than what they are owed. “You go back and say, hey guess what, the economy just crashed. I’m going to give you back half,” he told Norah O’Donnell………….

……………… the warnings from other economist—both Democratic and Republican—who have said that the idea of defaulting, or trying to renegotiate, the debt would spook global markets and send the U.S. economy into a tailspin………..

……….. Trump’s argument: Debt is good, and so is renegotiating it. “You go back and say, hey guess what, the economy just crashed. I’m going to give you back half,” he said.”

Trump thinks he can run a nation as he ran his businesses…….. Screwing folks by not paying his bills and sucking all the money out and then filing for Chapter 11………..

He now thinks he can screw the whole world out of the value of US bonds they hold as an investment and can get away with it without any consequences…………say for instance, China seizing Hawaii as compensation for Trump’s non-payment of US bonds…..

Trump is a mad man............

Yet another reason not to vote for him.

There's no reason to set off this panic. He's an idiot.

Donald Trump Brings Back the Default Talk - The Atlantic

If the economy crashes, “I’m going to give you back half,” the presumptive Republican nominee tells the nation’s creditors.

“Donald Trump’s bold—and potentially dangerous—plan to default on the nation’s debt is back.

In an appearance Wednesday morning on CBS This Morning, the presumptive Republican nominee returned to an idea he floated back in May: that if the U.S. economy “crashed,” he would offer to pay U.S. creditors less than what they are owed. “You go back and say, hey guess what, the economy just crashed. I’m going to give you back half,” he told Norah O’Donnell………….

……………… the warnings from other economist—both Democratic and Republican—who have said that the idea of defaulting, or trying to renegotiate, the debt would spook global markets and send the U.S. economy into a tailspin………..

……….. Trump’s argument: Debt is good, and so is renegotiating it. “You go back and say, hey guess what, the economy just crashed. I’m going to give you back half,” he said.”

Trump thinks he can run a nation as he ran his businesses…….. Screwing folks by not paying his bills and sucking all the money out and then filing for Chapter 11………..

He now thinks he can screw the whole world out of the value of US bonds they hold as an investment and can get away with it without any consequences…………say for instance, China seizing Hawaii as compensation for Trump’s non-payment of US bonds…..

Trump is a mad man............

No, you probably don't understand what it means for the economy to crash. The great depression wasn't it. What is going on in Venezuela and what happened in Germany in the 1920's is it. Defaulting on bonds would be the least of the problems. Trump would be lucky to repay half if it happened on his watch. Same with any other president. Trump is merely explaining where we are headed in the long run and he is correct.

No, you probably don't understand what it means for the economy to crash. The great depression wasn't it. What is going on in Venezuela and what happened in Germany in the 1920's is it. Defaulting on bonds would be the least of the problems. Trump would be lucky to repay half if it happened on his watch. Same with any other president. Trump is merely explaining where we are headed in the long run and he is correct.

Try rereading what I wrote slowly so you might understand what I said........:roll:

Try rereading what I wrote slowly so you might understand what I said........:roll:

I have found most of what you write to be incomprehensible. I have no interest in reading it again.

I have found most of what you write to be incomprehensible. I have no interest in reading it again.
OK, I'll summarize it for you.

Trump made several cavalier and contradictory statements about how to handle the national debt in a crisis.

His comments suggest that he has no idea how critical it is for the US federal government to pay its debts on time, and in full.

He also does not understand that a President who makes such casual statements could send world markets into a tailspin, or that federal debt is nothing like consumer or business debt, or that a major component of our current debt is intragovernmental loans -- specifically, Social Security funds loaned to other parts of the government. (Hint: The federal government can't renegotiate its loans to itself, without losing one way or the other.)

It is one of many indicators that he is deeply unsuited for the job.

What can I say?

Many here so not seem to have the same problem as you..............What might that suggest to you?

BTW

I am not the subject here.........Please try to respond to what the string is all about..........

OK, I'll summarize it for you.

Trump made several cavalier and contradictory statements about how to handle the national debt in a crisis.

His comments suggest that he has no idea how critical it is for the US federal government to pay its debts on time, and in full.

He also does not understand that a President who makes such casual statements could send world markets into a tailspin, or that federal debt is nothing like consumer or business debt, or that a major component of our current debt is intragovernmental loans -- specifically, Social Security funds loaned to other parts of the government. (Hint: The federal government can't renegotiate its loans to itself, without losing one way or the other.)

It is one of many indicators that he is deeply unsuited for the job.

I agree that both candidates are unsuitable for the presidency. I was criticizing your analysis.

I agree that both candidates are unsuitable for the presidency. I was criticizing your analysis.
Who "me?"

I'm not imyoda.

Back
Top Bottom