• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump blames constitution for chaos of his first 100 days

yankintx

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Pres Trump is finding the checks and balances built into the Constitution a challenge when governing. Pay particular attention to paragraph 4:

He blamed the constitutional checks and balances built in to US governance. “It’s a very rough system,” he said. “It’s an archaic system … It’s really a bad thing for the country.” D. Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...stitution-for-first-100-days-chaos-presidency

Its like the guy just got a basic civics lesson, and the checks and balances are something new to him, or is it he finds them rather cumbersome. No one wonder he admires Putin who has no similar restraints on his power.

I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that pesky Constitution!

Pres Trump is finding the checks and balances built into the Constitution a challenge when governing. Pay particular attention to paragraph 4:

He blamed the constitutional checks and balances built in to US governance. “It’s a very rough system,” he said. “It’s an archaic system … It’s really a bad thing for the country.” D. Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...stitution-for-first-100-days-chaos-presidency

Its like the guy just got a basic civics lesson, and the checks and balances are something new to him, or is it he finds them rather cumbersome. No one wonder he admires Putin who has no similar restraints on his power.

Donald Trump has no respect for the Constitution. Gee, color me shocked.

Even though the Republicans control Congress Trump's just writing 1 EO after another.

It's like the Legislative Branch doesn't even exist. Must be those pesky Judges he's whining about. He's trying his best to minimize them by attacking them, just like his war on the media. More pesky people that are getting in the 'Dear Leader's' way.

every POTUS takes an oath of office to defend The US Constitution but I guess that isn't good enuff 4 Don Cheeto ......... **** that dumbass bastard dictator ........

Pfffftttt... what's a few more amendments??? Hey, Don... start working on that! :2razz:

I was just watching the news with the guy who did that interview, and as the interviewer even stated, every President had the same complaint about how cumbersome and slow the system is. I didn't hear him say "I blame the Constitution".

No biggie. I don't recall if the other President's remarks made headlines, but I guess that's expected.

I was just watching the news with the guy who did that interview, and as the interviewer even stated, every President had the same complaint about how cumbersome and slow the system is. I didn't hear him say "I blame the Constitution".

No biggie. I don't recall if the other President's remarks made headlines, but I guess that's expected.

Cites please were other Presidents have publically came on record as stating the checks and balances are archaic.

No biggie? Ah the free pass

No biggie? Ah the free pass

Yeah, no biggie. I complain about the system, others have as well. Local politicians have. No biggie unless you make it one.

Cites please were other Presidents have publically came on record as stating the checks and balances are archaic.

The reporter didn't give any, sorry.

The law of Trump. For every Trump action there are a equal and opposite clip. For example that Obama's EO was very bad but Trump's own EO are very good.

As a candidate Trump said that it's something wrong with you if you can't make a deal with politicians. Now that Trump can't make things happened even with a Republican congress it's instead the politcal systems fault.

Trump has some serious issues with what is true, logical and even acknowledging what he has personally said in the past so it is not the least bit surprising that he has issues with checks and balances on his "amazing" powers. I have yet to hear Trump (or Obama, for that matter) explain why the pre-existing condition of age is unworthy of government protection from insurance premium rate manipulation while the pre-existing condition of obesity or alcoholism qualifies for such.

every POTUS takes an oath of office to defend The US Constitution but I guess that isn't good enuff 4 Don Cheeto ......... **** that dumbass bastard dictator ........

An oath means nothing. As Dubya noted, the constitution is just a piece of paper.

Obama took the oath and soon after signed off the legislation doing away with Habeas Corpus. Liberty dies to thunderous applause.

An oath means nothing. As Dubya noted, the constitution is just a piece of paper.

Obama took the oath and soon after signed off the legislation doing away with Habeas Corpus. Liberty dies to thunderous applause.

From an article discussiong The Patriot Act:

GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew the more onerous provisions of the Patriot Act could further alienate conservatives still mad at the President from his botched attempt to nominate White House Counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

“I don’t give a goddamn,” Bush retorted. “I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.”
“Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said. “There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”
“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

I’ve talked to three people present for the meeting that day and they all confirm that the President of the United States called the Constitution “a goddamned piece of paper.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as far as Obama is concerned, he was also a POS as POTUS ................... his only saving grace was he had the ability to speak well, he had a real brain, and he at least acted presidential, none of which Don Cheeto could claim ..........

Last edited:
Funny...all the stories are based on an article in the Guardian, a U.K. newspaper, but there is no clear citation showing that Trump "Blames the Constitution" for anything.

The only quote is:

“It’s a very rough system,” he said. “It’s an archaic system … It’s really a bad thing for the country.”

This in reference to declaring himself “disappointed” with Congressional Republicans, despite his many “great relationships” with them.

Where is the direct interview clip so we can see what he actually said, if anything, about blaming the Constitution...as opposed to simply having problems with Congress and like past President's blaming that branch for not being able to get his goals accomplished?

Well I found the clip on RealClear Politics :

I've always been a closer. We don't have a lot of closers in politics, and I understand why. It's a very rough system. It's -- it's an archaic system. You look at the rules of the Senate, even the rules of the House -- but the rules of the Senate and some of the things you have to go through, it's -- it's really a bad thing for the country, in my opinion. They're archaic rules.
Trump On Senate: "A Very Rough System," "An Archaic System" That's "A Bad Thing For The Country" | Video | RealClearPolitics

Seems he was talking about politics and the Senate, not "blaming the Constitution." :coffeepap:

Last edited:
The reporter didn't give any, sorry.

So you're just going to take the reporter's word for it and you won't look/Google for yourself and try to find out if what the reporter said is true?

Let me guess, you get all of your news from Fox and Drudge, etc.

Thank for the update. This guy is basically an instinctive authoritarian who is finding out that running a government is very different from a business where you can bully other people with the threat of lawsuits to get your way. He tried to bully Congress over health care ("repeal immediately") and all he got in return was the middle finger. And deservedly so.

One upside to Trump's presidency is it is giving people a newfound appreciation for our system of checks and balances.

Got to love the dog whistle BS the left's media blows continuously. I wonder why context is such a foreign element to the lefts media partners?

Take this bit of comedy the Guardian created, and has been posted here.

How about full context?

President Trump reflects on his first 100 days | Fox News

I understand what has to be done, I get things done I've always been a closer. We don't have a lot of closers in politics and I understand why. It's a very rough system, it's an archaic system. You look at the rules of the Senate, even the rules of the House, bit the rule of the Senate and some of the things you have to go through, it's really a bad thing for the country in my opinion.

There are archaic rules and maybe at some point, we're going to have to take those rules on because for the good of the nation things are going to have to be different. You can't go through a process like this. It's not fair, it forces you to make bad decisions. I mean, if you're forced into doing things that you would normally not do except for these archaic rules, so --

MACCALLUM: Like what, how would you change them?

TRUMP: Well, you know, you look at the voting and you look at the filibuster system. And it used to be. You know, I always thought of filibuster where you stand up and you talk all day and then somebody else--

MACCALLUM: You don't have to do that anymore.

TRUMP: No, you don't have to do it anymore. Today you say filibuster guys sit home and they watch television or whatever they do. I think, you know, the filibuster concept is not a good concept to start off with but if you're going to filibuster, let somebody stand up for 20hours and talk and do what they have to do or even if they are reading comic books to everybody, let them do it but honestly, the whole with so many bad concepts in our rules and it's forcing bad decisions. I really see. I see just -- I've seen this -- I've seen it over the years where bad decisions are made, decisions that nobody wanted are made because of archaic rules and that's something that I think we're going to have to change​

So his comments had nothing to do with the Constitution, nor checks and balances, but the archaic process that results in bad decisions and bad legislation.

The gullible are an amazing bunch....

Ummm... the Guardian is lying. Trump said nothing about the Constitution, He was only talking about the rules of the Senate which are not spelled out in the Constitution... which is why the Senate can do things like kill the filibuster without a Constitutional Amendment.

You might want to seek another source than the Guardian. In the actual interview Trump made those remarks about the rules of the Senate, not the Constitution. The Senate rules are not in the Constitution.

Got to love the dog whistle BS the left's media blows continuously. I wonder why context is such a foreign element to the lefts media partners?

Take this bit of comedy the Guardian created, and has been posted here.

How about full context?

President Trump reflects on his first 100 days | Fox News

I understand what has to be done, I get things done I've always been a closer. We don't have a lot of closers in politics and I understand why. It's a very rough system, it's an archaic system. You look at the rules of the Senate, even the rules of the House, bit the rule of the Senate and some of the things you have to go through, it's really a bad thing for the country in my opinion.

There are archaic rules and maybe at some point, we're going to have to take those rules on because for the good of the nation things are going to have to be different. You can't go through a process like this. It's not fair, it forces you to make bad decisions. I mean, if you're forced into doing things that you would normally not do except for these archaic rules, so --

MACCALLUM: Like what, how would you change them?

TRUMP: Well, you know, you look at the voting and you look at the filibuster system. And it used to be. You know, I always thought of filibuster where you stand up and you talk all day and then somebody else--

MACCALLUM: You don't have to do that anymore.

TRUMP: No, you don't have to do it anymore. Today you say filibuster guys sit home and they watch television or whatever they do. I think, you know, the filibuster concept is not a good concept to start off with but if you're going to filibuster, let somebody stand up for 20hours and talk and do what they have to do or even if they are reading comic books to everybody, let them do it but honestly, the whole with so many bad concepts in our rules and it's forcing bad decisions. I really see. I see just -- I've seen this -- I've seen it over the years where bad decisions are made, decisions that nobody wanted are made because of archaic rules and that's something that I think we're going to have to change​

So his comments had nothing to do with the Constitution, nor checks and balances, but the archaic process that results in bad decisions and bad legislation.

The gullible are an amazing bunch....

It's amazing, isn't it? All you need to do to get page hits as a liberal rag is bank on the audience 1) Not reading the original source, 2) Lacking in a Civics education, 3) distributing the article without comprehending it or vetting it.

Call me crazy or a "Trump supporter" or any pejorative you want....

But before I rain hellfire and brimstone over this, I'd like to see the ACTUAL full transcript and quote; not just a paraphrase. Similar to how Obama's comments about being "constrained by the constitution" were presented one way and actually meant another in context. Could Trump mean literally what they presented? Quite possible, but I'm not going to judge it based on a snippet presented by a media that feels it's their duty to be "opposition".

Back
Top Bottom