• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump’s Campaign Signals He Will Pick Mike Pence as Running Mate

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Donald J. Trump’s campaign has signaled strongly to Republicans in Washington that he will pick Mike Pence, the governor of Indiana, as his running mate, though Republicans caution the party’s mercurial presidential candidate may still backtrack on his apparent choice.

Putting aside any political argument, one way or the other, Pence is boring. Pence is more boring than Al Gore. Pence is more boring than watching paint dry...... Oops, I already mentioned Al Gore.

WTF is Trump thinking? This is a very poor choice.

Article is here.

Putting aside any political argument, one way or the other, Pence is boring. Pence is more boring than Al Gore. Pence is more boring than watching paint dry...... Oops, I already mentioned Al Gore.

Article is here.

Believe it when they announce it. I don't believe it for a second. Trump is the type that would float this balloon just to make the real pick more juicy. He's a PR candidate and would be right up his alley. My bet is either Gingrich or someone who isn't thought to be on the short list.

My dream pick is Sarah Palin, lmao. I'd drag my balls over broken glass to see a debate between Elizabeth Warren and Sarah Palin.

Article is here.

I would agree that Pence is likely a weak campaigner, and thus will not be of much help on the campaign trail, but at least he is an adult. Trump surrounding himself with some sane adults is a good thing for him, though I think Pence associating himself with Trump shows lack of judgement on his part..

Intereresting. I thought he would go with gingrich. Anyway VPs don't matter unless you pick an idiot like palin.

With this VP pick, Trump has reaffirmed that the GOP stands for white male hegemony.

Believe it when they announce it. I don't believe it for a second. Trump is the type that would float this balloon just to make the real pick more juicy. He's a PR candidate and would be right up his alley. My bet is either Gingrich or someone who isn't thought to be on the short list.

My dream pick is Sarah Palin, lmao. I'd drag my balls over broken glass to see a debate between Elizabeth Warren and Sarah Palin.

That would be absolutely amazing to watch.

I don't know if I could either of their voices for an entire debate. Might drive me to drink.

I would agree that Pence is likely a weak campaigner, and thus will not be of much help on the campaign trail, but at least he is an adult. Trump surrounding himself with some sane adults is a good thing for him, though I think Pence associating himself with Trump shows lack of judgement on his part..

I've not seen or heard Pence debate or speech, so I don't know about paint dry and all that.

It's a pretty much foregone conclusion that this general election is going to be a great big mud slinging contest, in that, Newt would be valuable to Trump, as he makes his points clearly and poignantly and very effectively, and still comes off as a adult - a good fit for a Trump VP, if you ask me.

I don't know if I could either of their voices for an entire debate. Might drive me to drink.

Can you name a female politician you can listen to for an entire debate? If Warren's voice wears you down that fast I think you might be the problem, not them. Now Palin I understand, but I find it more amusing than annoying.

I've not seen or heard Pence debate or speech, so I don't know about paint dry and all that.

It's a pretty much foregone conclusion that this general election is going to be a great big mud slinging contest, in that, Newt would be valuable to Trump, as he makes his points clearly and poignantly and very effectively, and still comes off as a adult - a good fit for a Trump VP, if you ask me.

I agree that Newt would be a more pragmatic choice... I don't know if Trump's ego would have enough spare room to let Newt in, however.

That last visual is a little tough... I may have nightmares tonight. But, I think a Warren/Palin debate would rank up their in match-ups with the US v Grenada or sausage maker v pig.

Here is Mike Pence on ABC News This Week last year. He could not answer a simple yes or no question, and was totally destroyed by George SteppinInALotOfIt (NOTE: I like that name much better. LOL). The campaign trail is going to be much tougher.

Actually Pence makes sense. Right now Trump is mostly pandering to the racist Republicans. The non-racist conservative Republicans pretty much hate Trump, they see him as a East Coast, NYC Liberal. Look at Trump's past views he's more liberal on some issues than Obama is.

So picking Pence makes sense. It might draw in the conservative vote that up to now would pretty much stay home and not vote for anyone in November.

With this VP pick, Trump has reaffirmed that the GOP stands for white male hegemony.

Or.. he could just be picking a socially conservative politician to help him consolidate a base made up of women and men who don't think he is conservative enough.

Or.. he could just be picking a socially conservative politician to help him consolidate a base made up of women and men who don't think he is conservative enough.

This--------^

Plus Pence is an "insider". He has experience in both Congress as well as running a state.

I hate to give Trump props for anything, but I have to hand it to him if Pence is his pick. He's a good choice for Trump.

Is there some rule that says 2016 is the year of the woman?

Why haven't you said anything about the Dems picking only old white people?

Lots of folk in Indiana (myself included) will be glad to see him gone if this is true. I'll wait to start celebrating until its official however.

However, I hate to say it, this is a smart move by the Trump campaign. If you ever wanted to galvanize unsure Evangelicals, Mike Pence is your guy.

Is there some rule that says 2016 is the year of the woman?

Why haven't you said anything about the Dems picking only old white people?

It could be because they already picked a man of color 8 years ago, and then again 4 years later.

Sorry about that, but you gave me such a huge opening, I just couldn't resist. LOL.

I know she would not do it, but I would like to have seen Condoleezza Rice picked.
I wish she would have run for president.

This--------^

Plus Pence is an "insider". He has experience in both Congress as well as running a state.

I hate to give Trump props for anything, but I have to hand it to him if Pence is his pick. He's a good choice for Trump.

Pence is a terrible pick for a person who already has trouble attracting moderates and independents on social issues.

Pence is a terrible pick for a person who already has trouble attracting moderates and independents on social issues.

It would appear that they have taken to the old approach of hoping that socially conservative voters will help them win rather than appealing to moderates and indies

It would appear that they have taken to the old approach of hoping that socially conservative voters will help them win rather than appealing to moderates and indies

That's what I think too. Trump is more concerned with pleasing the right than making inroads with his supposedly non-partisan revolution. He's already attracted the politically anemic alt-right types. Now he's going to try to go for the socially conservative types.

It's a doomed strategy.

It could be because they already picked a man of color 8 years ago, and then again 4 years later.

Sorry about that, but you gave me such a huge opening, I just couldn't resist. LOL.

So their token colored person has served their purpose then.

Back
Top Bottom