• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Donald is pro-sexism...

Why the hell would you stay at a company that didn't value you, or abused you or allowed others to abuse you? I think Trump makes sense in this case.

You should try offering this advice to the millions of women and men who have been sexually harassed on the job, and see how well it goes over. :roll:

Wouldn't it make more sense to fight the "hostile workplace" battle after you already have a new job lined up?

Once you have left the workplace, making a case becomes more difficult. It's hard enough as it is. The point being the victim of harassment is innocent of wrongdoing, but is penalized in being forced to change jobs.

My late wife ran into this issue almost daily at one point. It gets really old really fast when you know your wife is being constantly hit on, a powerful lawyer. She took to carrying a secreted recorder.

The comment assumes there are plentiful opportunities to which one could turn, but that is a false assumption, especially in the struggling US market.

The reason human rights commissions get involved is to prevent the victim of sexual harassment from being punished for being a woman around a horny boss.

It shows again how limited is Trump's thinking, self oriented assuming everyone has the opportunities that his daughter has. He's not only a crude bigot but shallow and self centered; "I've got mine, **** everyone else."

To be fair, when he's solely referring to his daughter, he has every right in the world to base the scenario solely on his daughter.

The comment assumes there are plentiful opportunities to which one could turn, but that is a false assumption, especially in the struggling US market.

How will her time at that job be after the lawsuit is over in most cases? It seems to me you're trying to argue real world conditions, while blending some utopian ideas in there. Donald probably knows more about fellow business owners than you and probably has a good idea on what the best course of action is to take in these situations. Just sayin'.

To be fair, when he's solely referring to his daughter, he has every right in the world to base the scenario solely on his daughter.

Ahhh...

No.

If he were a private citizen I would agree with you. However he is the leader of the GOP running for the Oval Office. With that it becomes a completely different situation, where he needs clarify what would be his stand if he were in charge of the country.

At the very least, in the absence of any clear, comprehensive policy on anything, one can only assume his original intent was that all women should do that.

And finally, his treatment of his previous wives more or less certifies that.

That's the bad side of the "no policy" populists. In Trump's case he merely gets a lackie to "explain" what he said or creates a diversion with another even stupider pronouncement.

Ahhh...

No.

If he were a private citizen I would agree with you. However he is the leader of the GOP running for the Oval Office. With that it becomes a completely different situation, where he needs clarify what would be his stand if he were in charge of the country.

At the very least, in the absence of any clear, comprehensive policy on anything, one can only assume his original intent was that all women should do that.

And finally, his treatment of his previous wives more or less certifies that.

That's the bad side of the "no policy" populists. In Trump's case he merely gets a lackie to "explain" what he said or creates a diversion with another even stupider pronouncement.

Fair enough, but I never assume Donald is talking about policy. In fact, if he said he was specifically referring to policy, I'm not sure I would believe him.

...HOW??? How do you have a turnover rate higher than the number of people you originally employed???

:lamo IKR. Because those companies are basically revolving doors with huge HR and recruiting programs to recruit enough bodies to cover the drivers that leave the company. They have to, just to keep a majority of their vehicles moving. Oh they have some that stay with the companies for years but a lot of their drivers vote with their feet looking for a place that fits them better. Drivers tend to be like cats difficult to herd. You have to have really good catnip. This year is a down year in the industry so the majors haven't purchased as many trucks as they normally do hence why the lower number of 105%. Its normally higher. I bet you find similar numbers in fast food and retail sales and other service type jobs. That's why Walmart is so remarkable in the industry they have less than 1% turnover in their fleet.

You should try offering this advice to the millions of women and men who have been sexually harassed on the job, and see how well it goes over. :roll:

I was in a crapy workplace. I started my own business on a shoe string because I hated who I worked for. Halliburton. The best thing I ever did. I got into the Logistics industry before that because I walked out on another crapy boss. I highly recommend it. The best way to do it while you are still employed. But if its bad enough don't hesitate to walk. I would give the same advise to anyone who asked. I offer the advise right now to anyone reading. Vote with your feet. Respect yourself more. Don't put up with crap. You don't have to.

Yeah. If I was being harrassed, I'd be like "**** it, I'm out!"

You would let the the abuser get away with it? It's against the law.

If you were in a profession, why would you give up what you've worked for because some pig harassed you? It's wrong and the pig would deserve to lose his job. And unless the HR department does nothing about it or upper management, I wouldn't assume "they" thought it acceptable. I'd fight for my position.

I think you're putting more into his comment than what is there. From what I can tell he didn't speak towards the matter of her fighting it or not.
"I would like to think she would find another career or find another company if that was the case," the GOP presidential nominee told USA Today.

He's saying she should leave, not fight.

If you were in a profession, why would you give up what you've worked for because some pig harassed you? It's wrong and the pig would deserve to lose his job. And unless the HR department does nothing about it or upper management, I wouldn't assume "they" thought it acceptable. I'd fight for my position.

Well look, I'm saying this because of my situation.

I have a minimum wage job, so it's not like I can't just go out and find another one easily.

But if it was a high-paying job, then I probably would fight for my position.

Who has greater resources and therefore greater ability to just leave a job than the average woman.

Why would you stay were you are obviously not appreciated and no one values you enough to step in and stop the harassment? I know of no career where you couldn't go elsewhere and do better. Businesses that put up with that crappy treatment of their employees tend to be cheap as bastards anyhow. Think of it as a sign its time to move up or out or both. Find something better. Hell instead of spending your time fighting stupid and insipid spend it looking for a better place to work or look at working for yourself. That's how America really works, vote with your feet. Let them abuse some other poor sap, it they can find one that will put up with it.

Weird, sensible people are coming to Trump's support on this. It's almost like he's said something reasonable for once.

Stopped clocks are still right twice a day.

Although, I'm conflicted. Like, on one hand, as a general truism, leaving behind people who disrespect and abuse you = good. And on the other, if women just "take it on the chin" and leave as if it were just a personality conflict, rather than reporting it, it doesn't ever really change. That asshole just harasses the next women they hire, ya know?

Assuming the woman in question has the emotional resources to do so, I think it's better to report, THEN leave. Social + personal protection.

However, this is a fairly innocuous statement in the grand scheme of stuff Trump has said about women. I mean, I can think of several dozen far more blatant examples of the Donald being a sexist.

Stopped clocks are still right twice a day.

Although, I'm conflicted. Like, on one hand, as a general truism, leaving behind people who disrespect and abuse you = good. And on the other, if women just "take it on the chin" and leave as if it were just a personality conflict, rather than reporting it, it doesn't ever really change. That asshole just harasses the next women they hire, ya know?

They can sue after they quit. ;)

Who has greater resources and therefore greater ability to just leave a job than the average woman.

What does that have to do with anything? Do you have self respect? Do you think you have to deal with twits that wont lift a figure to protect their employees, that treat you like a widget to throw out? Getting another job while you are employed is a lot easier than when you are unemployed. I know, been there done that. Employers seem to think they are poaching you if you are employed. Use your time and effort you would to fight morons, to find a better job.

Well look, I'm saying this because of my situation.

I have a minimum wage job, so it's not like I can't just go out and find another one easily.

But if it was a high-paying job, then I probably would fight for my position.

That's great that you can just go find another job, but not all people are that fortunate to just give up a paycheck and spend time not being paid.

When my daughter was 18, only 3 years ago, and new to her job, a fellow worker sexually harassed her, physically and verbally. He smacked her butt and made inappropriate comments. This happened more than once too. I didn't know until she told me he was fired because the owner found out, but not from my daughter. At the Christmas party that year, someone made a comment to the boss about how the pig treated my girl. She works fast food so the owner is not on site at all his establishments and didn't know. He fired the guy the next day. She didn't tell her manager because she'd only been there a few months and was afraid she'd lose her job if she made trouble. She spent months looking before she was hired. Being 18 without job experience when unemployment was still high in our area, sucked.

She didn't tell me because she knew what I was going to say and she wanted to handle it herself. Of course I was all "you have to tell!", but she was really afraid of losing her job.

Last edited:
What does that have to do with anything? Do you have self respect? Do you think you have to deal with twits that wont lift a figure to protect their employees, that treat you like a widget to throw out? Getting another job while you are employed is a lot easier than when you are unemployed. I know, been there done that. Employers seem to think they are poaching you if you are employed. Use your time and effort you would to fight morons, to find a better job.

It has everything to do with it. Look at my reply to TheGoverness. The risk of getting fired or worse, harassed more for blowing the whistle. You also don't know that the company won't lift a finger so speaking up rather than slinking off like you did something wrong is stupid. A person has to weigh those consequences.

Ivanka has no such worries about finding another job.

It has everything to do with it. Look at my reply to TheGoverness. The risk of getting fired or worse, harassed more for blowing the whistle. You also don't know that the company won't lift a finger so speaking up rather than slinking off like you did something wrong is stupid. A person has to weigh those consequences.

Ivanka has no such worries about finding another job.

Neither do you have a problem with finding another job, especially if you have one. Why would ANYONE with any self respect at all, work for assholes who look at them as a literal commodity. This of course presumes that you spoke up and told the SOB off and reported them and the company said FU to you. If they did something then, they aren't assholes by definition. If they are assholes, then what's the point of staying?

I used to think like you. Then I realized an important fact of life. My time is very valuable and I don't have much of it and it gets less everyday. Wasting it fighting morons is pointless and wasteful. I don't know about you but I have other better, things to do, like converse with you for instance.

I was in a crapy workplace. I started my own business on a shoe string because I hated who I worked for. Halliburton. The best thing I ever did. I got into the Logistics industry before that because I walked out on another crapy boss. I highly recommend it. The best way to do it while you are still employed. But if its bad enough don't hesitate to walk. I would give the same advise to anyone who asked. I offer the advise right now to anyone reading. Vote with your feet. Respect yourself more. Don't put up with crap. You don't have to.

The OP specifically concerns sexual harassment in the workplace. That is a lawsuit-worthy offense, and I support any targeted woman or man's right to file such a suit. Do you?

If this is true, then, like the case of Roger Ailes, multiple women might be able to substantiate a stronger case. I endured sexual harassment from a homosexual man at my last job. I did not speak up until he harassed another employee at that workplace. The problem with this strategy is that it quickly begins to look like a "witch hunt" if multiple accusations are made without evidence. I think the proper way to do it is to make a single accusation, and then substantiate that particular case with testimony from multiple witnesses. Hence, I did not report the incidents I personally experienced to my boss. The incident with a third party was enough to get him to leave his job voluntarily.

The OP specifically concerns sexual harassment in the workplace. That is a lawsuit-worthy offense, and I support any targeted woman or man's right to file such a suit. Do you?

Why waste your time? What's the point? I support their right to sue anyone for anything. I just don't understand why anyone would stay at such a company that does not support them and not leave and put up with continual crap and be miserable.

Back
Top Bottom