• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Blankenship Sentenced to a Year in Prison in Mine Safety Case

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Donald L. Blankenship, whose leadership of Massey Energy Company transformed him into one of the wealthiest and most influential men in Appalachia, was sentenced on Wednesday to a year in prison for conspiring to violate federal mine safety standards.

The sentencing, in Federal District Court here, came six years and one day after an explosion tore through Massey’s Upper Big Branch mine, killing 29 people. Although Mr. Blankenship was not accused of direct responsibility for the accident, the deadliest in American coal mining in about 40 years, the disaster prompted the federal inquiry that led to Mr. Blankenship’s indictment.

In this case, the deaths of 29 people resulted in a ONE year prison sentence. But it's better than nothing. Some corporations literally do get away with murder. At least, although the sentence is a light one, this corporation is going to pay the price. It's CEO is now a convicted felon.

This case is the poster child for the need for government regulation.

Article is here.

Last edited:
I have mixed emotions here. In one case its good that he is going to prison, but on the other hand gambling with people's lives that ends up killing 29 people is only good for a one year prison sentence? People go to jail for longer terms for getting caught with some weed. The whole criminal justice system seems to be a bit ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom