• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Don Lemon from CNN gives advice to youths in the black community

Your understanding of the word profiling is as flawed as your understanding of the word prejudice.

Profiling isn't about placing people into groups

Isn't it?
[h=2]pro·fil·ing[/h] /ˈproʊfaɪlɪŋ/ Show Spelled [proh-fahy-ling] Show IPA noun 1. the use of personal characteristics or behavior patterns to make generalizations about a person, as in gender profiling .

2. the use of these characteristics to determine whether a person may be engaged in illegal activity, as in racial profiling .

If a person has a prejudice, and prejudice is by definition irrational, then that person is "without faculty of reason". I agree that argument is nonsensical, but I'm not the one making the argument.

Wrong. A person can be capable of reason, but in certain situations choose not to utilize it.

You misunderstand the argument. I don't disagree with what you're saying. People frequently make decisions based on something other than reason, but everyone has all kinds of prejudices and they are not always irrational. Ever seen a racist dog? How about one that hates men? Is it his fault if the bulk of his experience with a particular race or gender was bad experience, or if his owner raised him that way? There are two ways to change his mind. What are they?

We are not talking about dogs. We are talking about people, and people are capable of using reason but can choose not to use it. It's is not reasonable to believe that someone who has chosen to not use reason (in a specific situation) will be convinced to change those beliefs through reason.

It's possible, but it's not guaranteed.

Isn't it?
pro·fil·ing

/ˈproʊfaɪlɪŋ/ Show Spelled [proh-fahy-ling] Show IPA noun 1. the use of personal characteristics or behavior patterns to make generalizations about a person, as in gender profiling .

2. the use of these characteristics to determine whether a person may be engaged in illegal activity, as in racial profiling .

No, and your quotes do not say that "profiling" means placing people into groups.

If you have something to say to me, then say it. Don't be passive aggressive and don't speak for me. Both are childish.

I did say that to you in an earlier post. You neither confirmed nor denied, leaving me free to make assumptions based on your arguments and/or sarcastic comments about your lack of response. I also don't think you really believe that, but your insistence that prejudice is necessarily irrational paints you into that corner.

No, and your quotes do not say that "profiling" means placing people into groups.

What is a profile, and what's the purpose of building a profile on a person?

I have already posted the definition of profiling.

That wasn't the question, but I'll answer it for you. A profile allows you to make assumptions about a person when you have incomplete information, like whether they might fit into a group of people you might call "dangerous", "untrustworthy", "pain in the ass", "PILF", etc. Scientists do it with hard data. Regular people do it every day in abbreviated form. We would not survive as a species if we didn't do this, so stop denying it and stop calling it irrational.

That wasn't the question, but I'll answer it for you. A profile allows you to make assumptions about a person when you have incomplete information, like whether they might fit into a group of people you might call "dangerous", "untrustworthy", "pain in the ass", "PILF", etc. Scientists do it with hard data. Regular people do it every day in abbreviated form. We would not survive as a species if we didn't do this, so stop denying it and stop calling it irrational.

Yes it was the question. You asked "what is a profile" and the answer is provided by the definition, if only you use a little reason

To paraphrase something I said earlier, there's no reason to believe that an opinion that was reached without the use of reason will be changed through the use of reason. That's why I didn't answer your 2nd question.

To paraphrase something I said earlier, there's no reason to believe that an opinion that was reached without the use of reason will be changed through the use of reason.

Exactly. :peace

Stereotypes exist for a reason. Think about that when you whine about profiling.

I disagree with that, but apparently TPD agrees.

I see a lot of cases where people claim that the have been harmed by others when they cannot demonstrate that such harm has actually taken place, people who think harm happens by osmosis, just by the other party existing and I find that absurd.

this thread is too much political to remain in this " off topic" forum l think

maybe it should be removed to another forum

Back
Top Bottom