• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Don Knotts, Dead at 81

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Beloved actor and very good friend of mine, Don Knotts, died on Friday at the age of 81. He was loved the world over for his Emmy winning Barney Fife and for numerous films and stage appearances. He was a real pro on stage and a very giving actor. I'll miss him dearly.

KCConservative said:
Beloved actor and very good friend of mine, Don Knotts, died on Friday at the age of 81. He was loved the world over for his Emmy winning Barney Fife and for numerous films and stage appearances. He was a real pro on stage and a very giving actor. I'll miss him dearly.
Dude... That is really sad. I still watch the Andy Griffith reruns just cause of Barney... Really cracks me up.
You knew him personally for real!?! Then surely you are blessed.
Was it natural causes? Assuming at 81.

This is really sad news. I am a big Don Knotts fan. Loved all his movies and The Andy Griffith Show is one of my all-time favorites. It's a sad, sad day. :(

Separated at birth - Don Knotts and Mick Jagger

jaggartwins.jpg

I played a gig last week on Don Knotts Boulevard in Morgantown WV. I always chuckle when I drive on that street.

I will always remember him as a great actor, and a real force in my life. The Andy Griffith show was a real piece of Americana, rest in peace sir.

I remember growing up watching him.
Or when my mom would load up me and my brother
in the car to watch one of his movies at the drive in.

Sitting on the roof of the car
with a blanket and pillow in my PJ's...lolol

cherokee said:
I remember growing up watching him.
Or when my mom would load up me and my brother
in the car to watch one of his movies at the drive in.

Sitting on the roof of the car
with a blanket and pillow in my PJ's...lolol
The Love God lives on. ;)

Apostle13 said:
Dude... That is really sad. I still watch the Andy Griffith reruns just cause of Barney... Really cracks me up.
You knew him personally for real!?! Then surely you are blessed.
Was it natural causes? Assuming at 81.
Yes, we did several plays together in recent years. He was a wonderful man....a gentle giant.

KCConservative said:

Wow, KC, you knew him? Those are lovely compliments.

I really learned about him through watching Three's Company. I loved it when he would pretend that he knew how to do karate. I loved it when he would pretend to be a ladies' man. I loved it when he was teaching Jack about how to come onto a woman (remember, Jack made him think he was gay). It was all about his facial expressions and mannerisms. It's nice to know that the warmth he exuded on the show was something that was part of his real personality, and it doesn't remotely surprise me.

May he rest in peace.

KCConservative said:
Don Knotts was part of my everyday after school TV shows for many a year.

He existed in reruns for me and brought thousands of tearful laughs. I was shocked to read this. From what I have read about him he indeed will be missed by many.

God speed Don Knotts.

aps said:
Wow, KC, you knew him? Those are lovely compliments.

My fondest memory was when we did You Can't Take It With You here in Kansas City. Eight shows a week for 14 weeks. His professionalism on stage was something to marvel. Sometimes I found myself losing track of my own concentration while on stage, because I was mezmerized by his ability to craft a character and hold the audience in his hand. He was a pro. Backstage, he was the perfect gentleman and a good friend. He was witty and sharp to the very end. My goodness, he could really tell a good story and joke. And, get this....after every night's performance, he would stand at the stage door and sign autographs until everyone was satisfied....and this was in his late 70's. By the end of the run, he had dozens of bullets that police officers and patrolmen had given him. He told me that he had thousands of them at home. People we always giving him a single bullet, as an homage to his Barney character. Sadly, he really never earned much money from that show, as the liberal royalties didn't exist when that show was filmed. I'll miss him.

KCConservative said:
My fondest memory was when we did You Can't Take It With You here in Kansas City. Eight shows a week for 14 weeks. His professionalism on stage was something to marvel. Sometimes I found myself losing track of my own concentration while on stage, because I was mezmerized by his ability to craft a character and hold the audience in his hand. He was a pro. Backstage, he was the perfect gentleman and a good friend. He was witty and sharp to the very end. My goodness, he could really tell a good story and joke. And, get this....after every night's performance, he would stand at the stage door and sign autographs until everyone was satisfied....and this was in his late 70's. By the end of the run, he had dozens of bullets that police officers and patrolmen had given him. He told me that he had thousands of them at home. People we always giving him a single bullet, as an homage to his Barney character. Sadly, he really never earned much money from that show, as the liberal royalties didn't exist when that show was filmed. I'll miss him.

Thanks, KC. That's a really sweet story. :2wave:

mixedmedia said:
Thanks, KC. That's a really sweet story. :2wave:
Yes it was... I always figured him to be a stand up guy. KC just gave me a good confirmation to that.

KCConservative said:

That was a beautiful story. I'm sure he's smiling at seeing/reading what you think about him and the person he was.

KCConservative said:

A few days before he died I was in the mood for the kerosene cucumber episode of the Andy Griffith Show, and was looking to see if it was coming on.

If God has a sense of humor he will come back as The Incredible Mr. Limpet if just for a moment.

Tears…

DivineComedy said:
If God has a sense of humor he will come back as The Incredible Mr. Limpet if just for a moment.

Tears…
He lives forever in my heart and memories.

I am not God but Here is The Incredible Mr, Limpet

limpet-reduced.jpg

Farewell Don Knotts 1924-2006

Last edited:
KCConservative said:
Yes, we did several plays together in recent years. He was a wonderful man....a gentle giant.

KCConservative said:

Quite the lady's man in his day I hear too.

One of the GREAT comics of all times, what passes as comdieans these days are a joke compare to the talents of those of his genera.

Stinger said:
Quite the lady's man in his day I hear too.

One of the GREAT comics of all times, what passes as comdieans these days are a joke compare to the talents of those of his genera.
Not just in his day. Don's girlfriend, Francy, was over 40 years younger than him.

KCConservative said:
Not just in his day. Don's girlfriend, Francy, was over 40 years younger than him.

What a guy! I never knew it until I saw a biography of him on one of the cable channels.

I don't know why it is but it just seems these days comedy shows are filled with people "trying" to be funny. But when you look back at the classic old shows with actors like Knotts and Any Griffith and Dick Van Dyke and Danny Thomas, they aren't trying, they ARE the characters they are playing and you forget they are comdienes and actors. Of course the writting was much better to, and they weren't all trying to shove social statements at us.

Back
Top Bottom