• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Don Imus

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Dead at 79

Don Imus, Legendary 'Imus in the Morning' Host, Dies at 79 | Hollywood Reporter

Not an RIP thread, so say what you want.

I never really grooved on Imus in the morning, but he certainly did create a few stirs. In today's world, his stuff would be seen as mild. Anyway, another reminder that time goes by rather quickly.

He had a ranch were he brought inner city kids to experience cowboy stuff. He was a strange bird. I wish him well for his work with kids and I wish he had thought more about some of his other political material.

Isn't he the instigator of the "I've got mine, who cares?" generational voice?

He was crass and selfish--a former hippie type who became a milder version of Sean Hannity and Rush.

I always saw him as the epitome of a Boomer.

I don't know very much about Imus, but I do know he was a radio shock jock. He was on a local station for a short time, then was kicked off due to something controversial he said, I don't remember what it was. Nice to hear he did something positive for the kids, had no idea of his political lean. Anyway, so sad to see so many of the folks we know dying these days from rock stars to radio and TV personalities. RIP Don.

He had a ranch were he brought inner city kids to experience cowboy stuff. He was a strange bird. I wish him well for his work with kids and I wish he had thought more about some of his other political material.

I vaguely remember hearing about that. Thanks for the reminder.

I can’t wait to hear Howard Stern’s reaction, whenever Howard does a new show.

He was crass and selfish--a former hippie type who became a milder version of Sean Hannity and Rush.

I always saw him as the epitome of a Boomer.

He was too old to be a Boomer and too old to be a war baby.

Never a fan, never agreed with him... but RIP.

I can’t wait to hear Howard Stern’s reaction, whenever Howard does a new show.

Should be interesting. Those two were the kings of shock radio for decades. I presume they had a friendly competition.

When he was on WFAN I listened to him all the time, when I could. He was funny, and had good, funny, guests on all the time.. But once he got on Fox Business and WABC he became just another propaganda outlet for Fox and con radio and their hate filled people like Hannity, Ingram, etc. And BTW I was still a Republican then and I stopped listening because his show was pretty much wall to wall hate. It was mostly politics and hate, instead of comedy and interesting guests. It got to be too much for me.

As for his ranch that was a great idea, that helped children with cancer. They got to go to a working ranch for over a week and forget about the crappy hand life had dealt them... But even that he screwed up. Once he retired from the radio, he simply shut the ranch down. He raised 10's of millions of $ to build and maintain the ranch, but only for about 12-14 years. Once he retired instead of hiring someone to run it and keep helping kids, he just shut it down. All those millions raised? And then to just shut it down? What a waste.

Anyway RIP...

It was a good show for a time, then he said some racist things about some girl's basketball team, and it wasn't the same after that. He got banned from radio for a year or so. All the politicians who came on his show stopped doing interviews cause of the racist thing.

His producer, Bernard McGuirk, was vile. See Bernard McGuirk - Wikipedia. Extremely conservative & nasty.

He had guests on that did some funny bits. I recall one:

'I don't care if it rains or freezes as long as I've got my plastic Jesus right up there on the dashboard of my car.
I can go a thousand miles an hour as long as I've got the almighty power right up on the dashboard of my car.'

I listened to him a little bit in high school because back then we weren't exactly overflowing with choices. He wasn't my thing and he didn't pee in my cheerios. RIP.

Isn't he the instigator of the "I've got mine, who cares?" generational voice?

Imus wasn't really a Republican, he was more of an Independent. I used to listen to him, he supported Kerry/Edwards back in 2004, largely because the Iraq War was such a disaster.

It was a good show for a time, then he said some racist things about some girl's basketball team, and it wasn't the same after that. He got banned from radio for a year or so. All the politicians who came on his show stopped doing interviews cause of the racist thing.

He gets booted for what he said, but Bill Maher can say the "N" word on TV and still have a job. Great hypocrisy in the Entertainment biz.

Don Imus was an okay guy. RIP

I remember that. It was pretty bad. Its one thing to denigrate politicians and others in the lime light but these were women basketball players from Rutgers. He called then "nappy headed hoes" I believe. Really stupid, ignorant thing to say about a college team.

Rest in peace.

nappy balled asshole
his wife was an early anti-vaxxer, insisting that vaccination caused autism. he pushed her campaign on his show
other than that he was a vacant nimrod

Imus = Original shock jock; poor man's Paul Harvey; great voice; Rutgers idiocy

R.I.P.

His producer, Bernard McGuirk, was vile. See Bernard McGuirk - Wikipedia. Extremely conservative & nasty.

He had guests on that did some funny bits. I recall one:

'I don't care if it rains or freezes as long as I've got my plastic Jesus right up there on the dashboard of my car.
I can go a thousand miles an hour as long as I've got the almighty power right up on the dashboard of my car.'

This bit was done by a 1972-era character called Billy Sol Hargis (Rev). Here are the original lyrics, sung by a female duo, which I messed up a bit: 'Is long hair a sin?' 'So how did he keep his hair so neat in all the pictures?'

YouTube

The Rev goes on to explain that the 'wet head' was 'out' because of John the Baptist and that long hair was in because HE had it. Funny bit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom