• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dollars and Common Sense PROGRESSIVES WANT TO PUT MEDICARE FOR ALL BACK ON THE TABLE

Razoo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A Last Gift of Love: One Way to Switzerland, Business Class

“Americans deserve a health care system that guarantees health and medical services to all. Congress must implement a system that prioritizes people over profits, humanity over greed, and compassion over exploitation,” Bush told The Nation.

Bush said that the systemic racism perpetuating inequities in health care “cannot be overstated,” pointing to the fact that Black women are three to four times more likely to die during childbirth, more likely to have asthma and cancer from generations of living near pollution centers, and more likely to forgo routine medical appointments out of fear of “having our pain dismissed.”

Differences in socioeconomic status account for much of the gap, but don’t explain all of it.

Studies show that the discrimination Black women face from providers, as well as prevailing racist and sexist beliefs among medical professionals about pain and the way it’s experienced, play a major role in these disparities.

The maternal mortality rate has been rising for decades, but surged 26 percent for Black women during the first year of the pandemic, a recent government report found.

“That’s why my colleagues and I are coming through in force next week for our first Medicare for All hearing since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic,” Bush continued. “This policy will save lives. I want to make that clear. I hope this hearing will be one more step forward in our commitment to ensuring everyone in this country, and particularly our Black, brown, and Indigenous communities, have the medical care they need to thrive.”

The first-ever hearing on Medicare for All was held in the House Rules Committee in 2019, a strange venue for a major piece of health legislation. It was followed by a hearing in the House Ways and Means Committee, which has jurisdiction over taxation and government revenue.

On the Senate side, Bernie Sanders is planning to reintroduce Medicare for All legislation in the coming days.

“I have fought tirelessly for policies to expand access to health coverage since I was first elected to Congress, including as a proud supporter of Medicare for All since its introduction,” Maloney told The Nation. Maloney is facing a crowded primary field this election season, including from Justice Democrats-backed candidate Rana Abdelhamid, and she has long touted her support for Medicare for All as a campaign plank.

“As chairwoman of the Oversight Committee,” Maloney added, “I am holding this hearing to examine how the gaps in our current system threaten the health of the most vulnerable among us and how Congress can ensure that every person in this country has access to high-quality health care—no matter who they are.

I am thankful to Congresswoman Cori Bush for her partnership in convening this hearing and for her leadership on behalf of patients across the country.”

Last edited:
The current insurance system still leaves the possibility of bankruptcy due to medical care on the table for millions in America.

The current insurance system does not provide equal health care for all no matter what.

If taxpayers could vote in Single Payer Insurance for ALL it would have been a done deal years ago which is why special interests and their special interest elected officials never allow for the vote or simply authorizing
Single Payer Insurance for ALL.

If we can taxpayers can be forced to fund a bloated defense budget, trillions in tax dollar subsidies for wealthy corporations and golden parachutes for elected officials YES we can afford Single Payer Insurance for ALL.

Americans, well over the majority want this. Republicans, and Dems want this. We would be a great country again if we could work out a solution and get it done. I realize this would put those who are money maker middle men out of work. Maybe we can find a way to compensate.

Ugh, it's difficult, but there's a way, we just need to push for it. Most of America wants it. Only a few do not.

From a European perspective the dreadful US health care 'system' should be a source of national shame. We look at it and shudder.

Americans, well over the majority want this. Republicans, and Dems want this. We would be a great country again if we could work out a solution and get it done. I realize this would put those who are money maker middle men out of work. Maybe we can find a way to compensate.

Ugh, it's difficult, but there's a way, we just need to push for it. Most of America wants it. Only a few do not.
"Money Maker" middle person has a wide range if insurance opportunities to choose from. Insurance coverage can be bought for just about anything.

However mandates have provided some easy profits for investors as well.

Single Payer is the only way to go for among other things equity in medical care. Yes we the people want this as most polls show it's just that elected officials tell us we cannot have Single Payer yet they work for
us not the other way around. Elected officials become confused.

From a European perspective the dreadful US health care 'system' should be a source of national shame. We look at it and shudder.
Thank you ........

The USA has 800 military establishments abroad. We must close at least 500 USA military establishments located abroad ....... to provide coverage for the USA people. Please note the health care industry will remain
privately owned ........

It has been said our health care is rated among the best as long as one can access it.

The majority of Americans look at it and shutter as well. I know I wonder, now that it's getting so un-affordable here, what exactly we're going to offer as a country?
We used to offer a lower cost of living, hence we could afford other quality of life things ourselves but we no longer can. I wonder just how long our middle class will last. It's soon becoming a few rich, and a lot of lower class.

It must be an election year

The majority of Americans look at it and shutter as well. I know I wonder, now that it's getting so un-affordable here, what exactly we're going to offer as a country?
We used to offer a lower cost of living, hence we could afford other quality of life things ourselves but we no longer can. I wonder just how long our middle class will last. It's soon becoming a few rich, and a lot of lower class.
WE the people need to call an end to status quo politics then start cleaning up with politics of substance.

Back
Top Bottom