• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

DOJ solicits email tips in Zimmerman civil rights probe

Excon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

By Scott Powers Orlando Sentinel

12:00 p.m. EDT, July 16, 2013

The U.S. Department of Justice on Monday afternoon appealed to civil rights groups and community leaders, nationally and in Sanford, for help investigating whether a federal criminal case might be brought against George Zimmerman for the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, one advocate said.

The DOJ has also set up a public email address to take in tips on its civil rights investigation.

Barbara Arnwine, president and executive director the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law – who earlier in the day joined calls for federal civil rights charges against Zimmerman, said that later in the afternoon, she joined a U.S. Department of Justice conference call to discuss the prospects.

“They were calling on us to actively refer anyone who had any information,” that might build a case against Zimmerman for either a civil rights violation or a hate crime, Arnwine said. “They said they would very aggressively investigate this case.”

Arnwine said the call was convened at about 3:30 p.m. by Tom Perez, Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division of the United States Department of Justice, and included representatives from the FBI, and several federal prosecutors, she said. DOJ officials also said they would open a public email address so people could send in tips on the case.

[...]

George Zimmerman: DOJ solicits help from civil rights leaders in Zimmerman investigation - OrlandoSentinel.com

Does anybody else find this appalling?

By Scott PowersOrlando Sentinel

The U.S. Department of Justice on Monday afternoon appealed to civil rights groups and community leaders, nationally and in Sanford, for help investigating whether a federal criminal case might be brought against George Zimmerman for the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, one advocate said.

The DOJ has also set up a public email address to take in tips on its civil rights investigation.

Barbara Arnwine, president and executive director the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law – who earlier in the day joined calls for federal civil rights charges against Zimmerman, said that later in the afternoon, she joined a U.S. Department of Justice conference call to discuss the prospects.

“They were calling on us to actively refer anyone who had any information,” that might build a case against Zimmerman for either a civil rights violation or a hate crime, Arnwine said. “They said they would very aggressively investigate this case.”

George Zimmerman: DOJ solicits help from civil rights leaders in Zimmerman investigation - OrlandoSentinel.com

its a f-ing witch hunt. i don't recognize my beloved country any more we have become a country of mob rule. wake up this is what America has become under liberal rule. Do you want to live in a country that the full weight of the federal government can come crashing down on you to appease the mob its a f-ing lynching

Appalling, yes. Surprising, no.

Yes, it is a witch hunt. The FBI interviewed around 3 dozen people that knew Z, they found no reason to believe any of this was race based, and clearly it wasn't.

Funny, I have yet to see those that are crying about 'justice!' speak out about other hispanics and whites that have been attacked in Baltimore and other locations due to the outcome of the trial. Guess they think all that is ok and justified.

It's more like repulsive, but with the president stripping people of their citizenship so he can claim he didn't kill an American citizen there isn't much that can surprise me.

its a f-ing witch hunt. i don't recognize my beloved country any more we have become a country of mob rule. wake up this is what America has become under liberal rule. Do you want to live in a country that the full weight of the federal government can come crashing down on you to appease the mob its a f-ing lynching

If this email address was flooded with a few million messages,,, it would be a damn crying shame, would it not?

Following the line of the vindictive biatch.....

It's mob rule? It's under investigation right now only. No one has the right to investigate to see if it's a case? :shrug:

Following the line of the vindictive biatch.....

So a prosecutor doesn't understand the definition of murderer? How cute.

By Scott Powers Orlando Sentinel

Arnwine said the call was convened at about 3:30 p.m. by Tom Perez, Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division of the United States Department of Justice, and included representatives from the FBI, and several federal prosecutors, she said. DOJ officials also said they would open a public email address so people could send in tips on the case.

[...]

Does anybody else find this appalling?

Unbelievable. I don't even think I live in the United States anymore. This is unconscionable.

Unconscionable.

It's mob rule? It's under investigation right now only. No one has the right to investigate to see if it's a case? :shrug:
you don't ask a mob that is looking for a lynching to give a reason for that lynching. they will lie to give you that reason

They won't rest until Z is persecuted to the nth degree

Truly depressing

Yes, it is a witch hunt. The FBI interviewed around 3 dozen people that knew Z, they found no reason to believe any of this was race based, and clearly it wasn't.

Funny, I have yet to see those that are crying about 'justice!' speak out about other hispanics and whites that have been attacked in Baltimore and other locations due to the outcome of the trial. Guess they think all that is ok and justified.

if your that determined to lynch some one you will find justification to do so and it wouldn't mater if is was false justification

They won't rest until Z is persecuted to the nth degree

Truly depressing

If they prosecute/persecute Zimmerman in this way, it will go down in the annuls of American history as one of the most terrible witch hunts in our history. The bright light at the end of the tunnel, though, isn't a train? It's a jury.

If they prosecute/persecute Zimmerman in this way, it will go down in the annuls of American history as one of the most terrible witch hunts in our history. The bright light at the end of the tunnel, though, isn't a train? It's a jury.

and you don't think the Feds have the power to stack a Jury, Holder has already been proven to go judge shopping till he found one to sign an illegal warrant

and you don't think the Feds have the power to stack a Jury, Holder has already been proven to go judge shopping till he found one to sign an illegal warrant

Whoever defends Zimmerman, when/if an indictment is handed down, will be smarter than the prosecution. They will make their entire careers and go down in the history books for defending and winning such a witch hunt. He'll have some of the best attorneys on planet earth -- and they don't work for the prosecution.

Can we just move on? The jury had spoken- period.

you don't ask a mob that is looking for a lynching to give a reason for that lynching. they will lie to give you that reason
I think that you are just blowing something way out of proportion. I saw Jeffrey Toobin on CNN (legal analyst.) and he said that the civil case doesn't have a very good chance. I tend to agree, but if people want to investigate to see if there is enough evidence, I see nothing wrong with it. :shrug:

The FBI can't find their ass with either hand.

No need to worry.

I think that you are just blowing something way out of proportion. I saw Jeffrey Toobin on CNN (legal analyst.) and he said that the civil case doesn't have a very good chance. I tend to agree, but if people want to investigate to see if there is enough evidence, I see nothing wrong with it. :shrug:
and this is why Holder opened the tip line hoping some ignorant hateful soul will make up some crap so to give them a case

Last edited:

The guy was cleared. Double jeopardy??? Seriously. This is excessive.

When I say double jeopardy I mean...they can't charge him with murder. Even if he was racist...he couldn't be charged for that.

I have a "tip" for them. There is no case. Stop wasting tax payer money on a "race baiting" witch hunt.

Back
Top Bottom