• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Doing something just because it's "our culture" is dumb?

Doing something just because it's "our culture" is dumb?

• Yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nonpareil

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I was watching TV when the story about the Japanese whaling fleet came on and this one guy said "Whaling is our culture so we should protect it." And I thought, how dumb. And since I'm nice and not at all bored with nothing better to do, I decided to start a new thread about it. :mrgreen:

It's not in their culture to do it in the Southern Hemisphere, and it should be limited to Japanese waters.

It's not in their culture to do it in the Southern Hemisphere, and it should be limited to Japanese waters.

Are there still whales in their water?

I gotta to give it to the protesters, I didn't think the Japanese would stop.

Yeah, normally I don't like the environmental hippy people, but they're doing a good job of stopping the whaling.

I think there are whales still in their waters, though I dunno how many.

I wouldn't necessarily call it "dumb", but I would say it is a logical fallacy to say that something should be preserved simply because it is part of the culture.

I wouldn't necessarily call it "dumb", but I would say it is a logical fallacy to say that something should be preserved simply because it is part of the culture.
:yt
That was pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

It struck me as dumb in this case though. I would agree more with reasons like: it's a livelihood for some people, they were not doing something illegal so the protestors were harrassing them.

It struck me as dumb in this case though. I would agree more with reasons like: it's a livelihood for some people, they were not doing something illegal so the protestors were harrassing them.

I'd say it's intellectual laziness rather than being dumb.

I'd say it's intellectual laziness rather than being dumb.

That's the same thing to me.

Someone who's slow but make the time and effort to reason would not be dumb.

Instead of worrying about if you CAN do something, you should instead consider if you SHOULD.

Back
Top Bottom