• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dogs

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Share your favorite dog story, your favorite breed (s), a funny moment, etc. I was walking with my border collie and my 3 year old great grandson down to the mail box a few days ago when my neighbor called me over to say hello and chat. I live in a cul-de-sac and while chatting, I let my guard down for a second. Suddenly, my dog took off like a bullet, which is rare, because she never leaves my side, and she wasn't on a leash. When I looked off to my left, the little guy was rapidly making his way to the main road. Although my border collie has no formal training, she instinctively had herded my great grand son into my neighbor's yard and was gently hanging on to him by the seat of his jeans and giving off a high pitch squeal to alert me. Child safe,lesson learned, dog greatly appreciated. I hear border collies are one of the top 3 smartest dog breeds, if not the smartest. Probably showing a little bias here, but the way that animal herded and subdued that child was extremely impressive.

Share your favorite dog story, your favorite breed (s), a funny moment, etc. I was walking with my border collie and my 3 year old great grandson down to the mail box a few days ago when my neighbor called me over to say hello and chat. I live in a cul-de-sac and while chatting, I let my guard down for a second. Suddenly, my dog took off like a bullet, which is rare, because she never leaves my side, and she wasn't on a leash. When I looked off to my left, the little guy was rapidly making his way to the main road. Although my border collie has no formal training, she instinctively had herded my great grand son into my neighbor's yard and was gently hanging on to him by the seat of his jeans and giving off a high pitch squeal to alert me. Child safe,lesson learned, dog greatly appreciated. I hear border collies are one of the top 3 smartest dog breeds, if not the smartest. Probably showing a little bias here, but the way that animal herded and subdued that child was extremely impressive.

Prissy was our purebred Newfie that we got in Augsburg back when the Germans were just barely still selling to Americans before they stopped but we impressed them in part because my wife grew up on Newfs and knew everything about them. She was born in Augsburg and then moved in with us in military housing in Munich. She had such a good time, our favorite thing was walking in the forest (The Germans have/had beautiful well maintained forests). Then we had to go back to Monterey for a year so that my wife could pick up Russian to go with her Hungarian. She sorta liked our long walks in the fog about DLI and Pacific Grove with the Fog Horns going and sometimes the squid boats and their lights in the Monterey Bay below us but 13 months later when we landed in Frankfurt on our way to three years in Darmstadt she knew before we left the airport that she was back home....Pure Joy

Many years back, college days, I had a Dutch girlfriend for a short while. I decided to get a pup from the local dog catcher. Yes, at the time the county had a dog catcher, not a humane society of any type. I selected an all black terrier mutt, not more than 6 or 7 weeks old from a litter scheduled to be put down. As I signed the adoption papers, I handed the pup to my girlfriend who held him over her face in the air saying how cute he was. Both the dog catcher and turned to her as she suddenly screamed "EICH! He's peessing on my face!" The two of us couldn't stop laughing. No one else I knew could say "eich" the way she did with a hard "ch," so I named him Ike. My girlfriend left me soon afterwards, but Ike hung out with me for the next 14 years through thick and thin, enjoying his life. He was a people dog, always seeking affection from whoever he met, and getting it. He'd rather be petted than eat. Food could wait, but a belly rub was his favorite pastime.

When my German Shepherd Jack was about 2 yrs old we had left the house and somehow the back fence gate was not properly shut. We have a huge doggie door so that he can go in and out to the back yard as he pleases.
So Jack found the gate open and was walking around in our front yard. Across the street lived a young college girl who had gotten to know Jack since he was a puppy so she saw him out in front by himself and thought that was odd.
She came over and petted him then went up to our front door to see if we were home.
She knocked on the front door and immediately Jack ran back thru the gate and into the backyard and into the house.

And next was at the front window barking because someone knocked on the front door.
Of course she just went and shut the gate and later told us the story.

Barking at the front window at anybody who knocks at our front door is his job and he takes it seriously.

My doggie takes her job very seriously too. She apparently can hear our cars turning onto the road and barks to alert everyone. Anybody who pulls into the driveway, and it's a very long one, has to be announced, and she goes Cujo when a Fed Ex employee opens the vehicle door. And then there are neighbor dogs who occasionally dare to step a toe past the property line, which this dog knows. And, I don't know, branches falling from the trees?

I don't need to be told that my kid has turned onto the road and that she's pulled into the driveway and that she's headed to the porch and that she is at the door. So obnoxious. And she's also a dirty girl. Long black hair, and she loves mud and being stinky. And eating still-warm frosted litterbox treats. Such a dirty girl.

Many years back, college days, I had a Dutch girlfriend for a short while. I decided to get a pup from the local dog catcher. Yes, at the time the county had a dog catcher, not a humane society of any type. I selected an all black terrier mutt, not more than 6 or 7 weeks old from a litter scheduled to be put down. As I signed the adoption papers, I handed the pup to my girlfriend who held him over her face in the air saying how cute he was. Both the dog catcher and turned to her as she suddenly screamed "EICH! He's peessing on my face!" The two of us couldn't stop laughing. No one else I knew could say "eich" the way she did with a hard "ch," so I named him Ike. My girlfriend left me soon afterwards, but Ike hung out with me for the next 14 years through thick and thin, enjoying his life. He was a people dog, always seeking affection from whoever he met, and getting it. He'd rather be petted than eat. Food could wait, but a belly rub was his favorite pastime.

Some counties still have "dog catchers". One of my dogs got rescued from a pound in a county in South Carolina. No humane shelter. Just a dog catcher and very little time to save them from a death sentence.
Funny story, my other dog peed on me when I got him as a puppy. I took it as a good sign.

I have dozens of them, but only one beats those involving my beagle’s insane obsession with food. And, that one involves its insane obsession with following rabbit scent, which might be the only thing I can’t use food as the cure all to make her stop doing once she is hot on it.

All I can say is she must love rabbits. Because, at any other time, that dog will come running at the sound of the fridge opening from 100 yards away, even when she is outside and both double doors are shut. But if she smells rabbit, she’ll ignore a steak.

Dogs are mans best friend

Cats are a cats best friend

My dear dog, Brownie, who I lost a little over 2 years ago due to old age was the reason we moved back in 2005, when he was 5 years old...he was a Choc. Lab mix, who loved to run...had the habit of bolting when he'd catch us off guard while opening the door...trying to catch him when he did was like trying to catch a jack rabbit...

This one particular time he bolted and run down the street to bark at our grouchy neighbor...one time too many, I suppose because he called animal control...they came out and caught Brownie...took him to doggie jail...

At the time, I posted on another board...when I told the posters there of my dilemma, many of them pitched in to call/write the animal control where I lived, on Brownie's behalf...they dubbed the dog catcher as the "Dog Nazi"...:2razz:

Long story short...we had to pay 1,000 bucks for a lawyer to go to court in order to get him back, on the stipulation Brownie would not be allowed in the city limits anymore...so we moved...all because of Brownie we moved from the town my DH and I both grew up in...it was well worth the move because I got to keep my Brownie for 11 more years...

Growing up my Father purchased a large piece of real estate. It was an old fairground that he was hoping to sell as land for real estate but 6 weeks into the project work had to stop because of strange events and acts of sabotage. He brought in this team of young investigators to get to the bottom of it and they just happened to have one of the funniest dogs I have ever met to this day. He was a great Dane and his owner was this hippy who kind of let him do what he wanted lol.
He was afraid of his own shadow but he was fiercely loyal, he was also always hungry lol. What day we ordered one of those giant party subs for everyone to share at lunch and he ate the whole thing himself lol. They also had a puppy with them who I was less fond of as its was super aggressive and always seemed to be picking fights,

The guy behind the trespassing etc was caught and they moved on but it was a fun few days with that dog.

Oh, and lemme tell you how I came about having Brownie...my son, who was 16 at the time had a little girlfriend who gave him a puppy...you guessed it...Brownie...well, momma threw a hissy fit...I did not like house dogs...they were messy and stinky...I said no way was that dog coming into the house...

Well, we got a cage to train him...in the house...my son, being in school at the time...guess who ended up training Brownie...yep, you guessed it...lil ole me...

My son wanted to move out at 19 and be on his own...by that time, Brownie was my dog...my son moved out, Brownie stayed...for 13 more years...

Oh, and lemme tell you how I came about having Brownie...my son, who was 16 at the time had a little girlfriend who gave him a puppy...you guessed it...Brownie...well, momma threw a hissy fit...I did not like house dogs...they were messy and stinky...I said no way was that dog coming into the house...

Well, we got a cage to train him...in the house...my son, being in school at the time...guess who ended up training Brownie...yep, you guessed it...lil ole me...

My son wanted to move out at 19 and be on his own...by that time, Brownie was my dog...my son moved out, Brownie stayed...for 13 more years...

I've heard similar stories to that effect more times than I can remember. Amazing how those little fur babies capture the heart, isn't it ? My first border collie was brought into my life when my older daughter got my younger daughter, also about 16ish at the time, who just 'HAD' to have a dog!. She too moved out at 18 and that dog and myself were inseperable also.

I've heard similar stories to that effect more times than I can remember. Amazing how those little fur babies capture the heart, isn't it ? My first border collie was brought into my life when my older daughter got my younger daughter, also about 16ish at the time, just 'HAD' to have a dog!. She too moved out at 18 and that dog and myself were inseperable also.

lol...yep, sounds vaguely familiar...Brownie was the love of my life, animal wise...still miss him terribly and think of him fondly...there's an old cemetary across the street, not used anymore...we buried him there, with stones atop his grave, to mark it...

Growing up my Father purchased a large piece of real estate. It was an old fairground that he was hoping to sell as land for real estate but 6 weeks into the project work had to stop because of strange events and acts of sabotage. He brought in this team of young investigators to get to the bottom of it and they just happened to have one of the funniest dogs I have ever met to this day. He was a great Dane and his owner was this hippy who kind of let him do what he wanted lol.
He was afraid of his own shadow but he was fiercely loyal, he was also always hungry lol. What day we ordered one of those giant party subs for everyone to share at lunch and he ate the whole thing himself lol. They also had a puppy with them who I was less fond of as its was super aggressive and always seemed to be picking fights,

The guy behind the trespassing etc was caught and they moved on but it was a fun few days with that dog.

A, ahem..shaggy hippy kid with a great dane and a 'scrappy' puppy that solve mysteries?

Awesome.

I was literally raised by dogs. In the 70's in a small town in Montana there was no helicopter parenting, my parents would put me out front with the collies Lad and Lassy and I would crawl around the yard and be herded away from the roads by the dogs. Mom would cook dad would be reading and I was babysat by 2 big collies.

When I was older I had a German shepherd that went everywhere with me and could play basketball with me on the hoop on the garage. Really only played defense but he was great at stealing the ball. Made me a really good point guard.

Then came the newfies, massive strong dogs that were like huge teddy bears, dad had an old 66 mustang that he would take the hood off of in the winter tie the newfies to it and drag me around town when it snowed. Still have an article from the paper when Shadow won a pulling contest, didn't just win it but they didn't have enough weight to find out his upper limit. One time Shadow was chasing out cat TC through the house, we had one of those pianos where the seat pushed in under the keyboard, we were sitting watching tv and heard this huge crash, TC had run under the bench and Shadow followed, the bench took the entire side of the piano off and it crashed to the ground. He just stood there looking at us like "what?".

I could probably write about dogs for hours but my family just lost one this week so it's a little emotional.

I have never owned a border collie, so I am not biased, and agree that they are the smartest breed.

I have never owned a border collie, so I am not biased, and agree that they are the smartest breed.

I have known a lot of border collies they are a very good ranch dog. In Montana you see them a lot in the back of trucks at the diners, some of them even get up on the roof for a better view while parked.

That said, both of the vet's I know have standard poodles and both claim it is the smartest breed of dog. And if you don't shave them funny they are beautiful animals.

Back
Top Bottom