• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the the Rich?

Doesn't a middle class tax cut also benefit the rich?

• Total voters

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Doesn't a middle class tax cut (AGI up to $250K) also benefit the the Rich?

Options:

Yes
No
I don't know.

Options:

Yes
No
I don't know.

I'll vote Yes when the poll posts.

I figure it's Trickle-Up Economics. ;-)

Theoretically speaking, there are no tax cuts that hurt anyone within reason. So yes, the "rich" would benefit from a middle-class tax cut just like the middle-class would benefit from a rich tax cut.

The only difference is the size of the externality involved.

Theoretically speaking, there are no tax cuts that hurt anyone within reason. So yes, the "rich" would benefit from a middle-class tax cut just like the middle-class would benefit from a rich tax cut.

The only difference is the size of the externality involved.

Care to identify the externality?

In some ways it hurts the rich. The middle class supply most of the votes in this country and use most of the government resources. Giving them a tax break leads to the middle class believing they can continue to support reckless spending politicians because their taxes won't be raised.

In some ways it hurts the rich. The middle class supply most of the votes in this country and use most of the government resources. Giving them a tax break leads to the middle class believing they can continue to support reckless spending politicians because their taxes won't be raised.

Interesting. Giving tax cuts to the wealthy does not create a signal that they can continue to support reckless spending? How convenient.

Reckless spending like starting two wars?

Interesting. Giving tax cuts to the wealthy does not create a signal that they can continue to support reckless spending? How convenient.

the rich pay a large chunk of the money that funds the government. THey already know the high cost of government spending

Try again

Reckless spending like starting two wars?

The one that both parties voted for? the war on poverty which was started almost entirely by your side has cost us trillions more than the wars. and unlike wars that tend to be finite costs, the war on poverty was a malignancy that continues to cost us as the legions of dependent addicts continue to breed more dependent addicts

Options:

Yes
No
I don't know.

Yes, it does. Since the poor and middle-class are much more likely to spend their money than the wealthy are, cutting their taxes will do more to stimulate the economy...which will result in more capital gains for the wealthy.

Do you have any evidence that the middle class are less likely to support big government when the tax burden is (proportionally) higher on them, or is that just speculation? One could just as easily argue that if they're feeling the pinch of less disposable income because they're being taxed more, that they'll be MORE likely to support government goodies to ease their hardships.

Last edited:
Of course. If a person earns 250k and we lower the taxes on the (for example) 50-100k bracket, then that would lower that persons taxes.

Do you have any actual evidence that the middle class are less likely to support big government when the tax burden is (proportionally) higher on them? Or is that just speculation?

common sense

two scenarios-give a kid a credit card and you pay the bills

second scenario, he has to pay the bills

what scenario do you think is gonna have rampant spending?

speaking of speculation see Post 11

common sense

two scenarios-give a kid a credit card and you pay the bills

second scenario, he has to pay the bills

what scenario do you think is gonna have rampant spending?

If I was the kid in that second scenario, I'd be strapped for cash more often, and therefore perhaps more likely to want more stuff from the government. My point isn't that that is what would necessarily happen; just that it isn't as "common sense" as you claim. In the absence of any empirical evidence, you're really just speculating, and there's a plausible argument for exactly the opposite conclusion you're trying to draw.

TurtleDude said:
speaking of speculation see Post 11

That isn't speculation, it's standard economics. Do you deny that cutting taxes stimulates the economy? What kind of conservative are you?

Last edited:

I have already said this else were, but this is not even an argument. It is a slippery slope. It also ignores other common causes of support for tax cuts/raises (ie. political principles).

Last edited:
If I was the kid in that second scenario, I'd be strapped for cash more often, and therefore perhaps more likely to want more stuff from the government.

That isn't speculation, it's basic economics. Do you deny that cutting taxes stimulates the economy? What kind of conservative are you?
nice evasion on responding to my point-dishonest and silly but an A for effort.

I have already said this else were, but this is not even an argument. It is a slippery slope. It also ignores other common causes of support for tax cuts/raises (ie. political principles).

this country is in danger of going down the toilet because too many people want stuff and expect others to pay for it

nice evasion on responding to my point-dishonest and silly but an A for effort.

I wasn't even disputing your point, but merely asking if you had any evidence to support your claim or just blowing hot air out your ass to justify your wealthy-have-it-rough snobbery. Your failure to even ATTEMPT to justify your speculation suggests the latter. You're right, the wealthy have it so bad in this country...and policy-makers should only be concerned about their well-being. Why, the mere thought that the middle-class might vote in a way that benefits themselves instead of the wealthy should be unthinkable! The horror, the horror. Merely stating that possibility should be sufficient to end any argument on tax policy or anything else.

Now carry on. :roll:

Last edited:
this country is in danger of going down the toilet because too many people want stuff and expect others to pay for it

I am sure you think that is the case, but I have seen no conclusive proof that america is doomed; especially because of middle class tax cuts and/or upper class tax increases.

I wasn't even disputing your point, but merely asking if you had any evidence to support your claim or just blowing hot air out your ass to justify your wealthy-have-it-rough snobbery. Your failure to even ATTEMPT to justify your speculation suggests the latter. You're right, the wealthy have it so bad in this country...and policy-makers should only be concerned about their well-being. Why, the mere thought that the middle-class might vote in a way that benefits themselves instead of the wealthy should be unthinkable! The horror, the horror. Merely stating that possibility should be sufficient to end any argument on tax policy or anything else.

Now carry on. :roll:

scrape away the thin facade of supposed "what is best for America" from a liberal and what will you find-a boil of envy and spite

I am sure you think that is the case, but I have seen no conclusive proof that america is doomed; especially because of middle class tax cuts and/or upper class tax increases.

of course you wouldn't

Yes, it does. Since the poor and middle-class are much more likely to spend their money than the wealthy are, cutting their taxes will do more to stimulate the economy...which will result in more capital gains for the wealthy.
Well the same percentages for the middle class would also apply to the rich up to $250K, then the new marginal rate would apply to only amounts over the $250K rate.

Back
Top Bottom