• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does your family advertise to you?

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
My brother in law is a sales-rep. He's worked as a rep in several venues: tv, radio, script. . . his recent thing is working with banks to expand their direct-transaction units (credit card swipes).

Well, as always, he throws me a sales pitch.

This, for some reason, irritates the crap out of me.

Would it irritate you? What's your reaction when someone in your familly (or a friend) tosses you a sales pitch?

Stop them (mid sentence if you have to), and say "No Thank You." Keep saying it, and only say that until they stop the pitch, or walk away if you have to but do make them stop. I think they are being self serving and rude.

My cousin and uncle do this. The both sell that Quixtar/Amway crap and try to get me to buy it all the freaking time. I used to be polite about telling them no, but I'll hang up on them in the middle of their spiel now, same as I would any telemarketer.

Would it irritate you? What's your reaction when someone in your familly (or a friend) tosses you a sales pitch?

I wouldnt mind if they were doing it for practice, and as long as they made me aware of this. If they just hurled sales pitches at me, in order to try to make me do something or buy something, it would irritate me.

Yeah - there's a hude difference between "do you mind listening to my sales pitch?" - if he just did that I'd be happy to listen and more open to considering a purchase, even.

One time he was here playing with the kids while my sister (his wife) and I made some clothes and he worked his sales pitch in with a regular conversation when I said I was sick earlier in the week. LOL

I didn't know if me being annoyed was normal or not.

I didn't know if me being annoyed was normal or not.
Yeah, id say that is normal. Id ask family members for an opinion on stuff I am trying out, but I would never pitch it at them, without stating firstly what I am about to do.

My brother in law is a sales-rep. He's worked as a rep in several venues: tv, radio, script. . . his recent thing is working with banks to expand their direct-transaction units (credit card swipes).

Well, as always, he throws me a sales pitch.

This, for some reason, irritates the crap out of me.

My dad used to be a wannabe rep for a scam telecommunications service that did the whole pyramid earnings etc.
I was about 14 at the time and went with him to a meeting with his mentor.
It hit me a kid, that it was a pyramid scheme and I soon withdrew from helping him with that.

No one that I know tries to sell me that crap because I will tell them no and quite bluntly tell them that the stuff they are selling is garbage.
Plus I'm a cheap bastard. :)

My dad used to be a wannabe rep for a scam telecommunications service that did the whole pyramid earnings etc.
I was about 14 at the time and went with him to a meeting with his mentor.
It hit me a kid, that it was a pyramid scheme and I soon withdrew from helping him with that.

No one that I know tries to sell me that crap because I will tell them no and quite bluntly tell them that the stuff they are selling is garbage.
Plus I'm a cheap bastard. :)

LOL - yeah, that's one thing I have don't - be upfront and blunt. I'm quite polite (believe it or not).

Funny, though, my BIL sucks at selling, too - he's had quite a few sales jobs and none of them stuck. . . he keeps hoping around, loosing his commission and hoping some more. He's a nice guy so I think he sells himself with that at interviews.

LOL - yeah, that's one thing I have don't - be upfront and blunt. I'm quite polite (believe it or not).

99.999% of the time I'm well mannered and polite but when it comes to family/friends trying to sell me stuff, I get mean.

They are trying to take advantage of you because your family.
That's not cool.

With people I don't know, I try to be polite and say no thank you but if they keep insisting, I get annoyed quick.

Funny, though, my BIL sucks at selling, too - he's had quite a few sales jobs and none of them stuck. . . he keeps hoping around, loosing his commission and hoping some more. He's a nice guy so I think he sells himself with that at interviews.

Meh, if something needs such hard marketing to be sold, it probably really sucks to begin with and isn't worth buying or trying to sell.

Back
Top Bottom