• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does what Syrians want in Syria matter?

Does it matter what Syrians want concerning Syria?

• No, we should not care what government Syrians want.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Yes, we should consider what Syrians want about Syria's government.

• IDK/Other

• Total voters

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
70% of Syrians support Assad, the current head of government. Only 10% support the "rebels." 20% unsure. As the President and leaders of both the Democrat and Republican parties urge war against Assad on behalf of the revolutionaries, does it matter what Syrians want? That we should bomb them to help them to get them what they don't want?NATO data: Assad winning the war for Syrians’ hearts and minds | World Tribune

Why Some Syrian Expats Still Support Assad | Here & Now

Democracy cannot be exported. It’s a different culture, a different history, a different setup and mixture,”

“The original protest was, at the beginning, it was a legitimate demonstration,” Hamza said. “The situation is not perfect. Reforms need to be done. There was martial law for many, many, many years. That needed to be lifted. [The Assad regime] made a lot mistakes, and they admit that.”

However, Hamza does not believe that there is a popular uprising in Syria. He says it’s a plan by Islamic extremists to take over the country.

“They’re waiting for any weak moments to come out,” Hamza said. “They’ve been waiting for a long time.”

He fears that if the rebels win, they will impose Islamic law on the country.

70% of Syrians support Assad, the current head of government. Only 10% support the "rebels." 20% unsure. As the President and leaders of both the Democrat and Republican parties urge war against Assad on behalf of the revolutionaries, does it matter what Syrians want? That we should bomb them to help them to get them what they don't want?NATO data: Assad winning the war for Syrians’ hearts and minds | World Tribune

What the Syrians want regarding whether or not we interfere with Syria is irrelevant.

Important to note that exactly zero polling of actual Syrian residents was conducted, indicated clearly by your own source :

The data, relayed to NATO over the last month, asserted that 70 percent of Syrians support the Assad regime. Another 20 percent were deemed neutral and the remaining 10 percent expressed support for the rebels. The sources said no formal polling was taken in Syria, racked by two years of civil war in which 90,000 people were reported killed. They said the data came from a range of activists and independent organizations that were working in Syria, particularly in relief efforts.

I voted other because the qualifiers go too far. It would be beneficial to know what the Syrian people want, but given that most of those not participating in the rebellion are either fleeing or are in hiding, you're likely going to get an Al Qaeda/Hezbollah/Rebel opinion. The logistics of getting cohesive opinions from the Syrian people in the field would be an intelligence nightmare.

Well, at least there is little pretending the quest for war is on behalf of Syrians. But then what is the reason?

Well, 2 m Syrian people choosed to leave country rather than waiting to receive "democracy's missiles"

And I always believe it is impossible to impose democracy.
Especially, on those countries. They do not want the democracy.

Really good question. Based on Iraq, it seems the sentiment in the Middle East is driven largely by a group think/collective mentality and the Middle East media steers the agenda. Sounds kinda like....never mind :lol:

Anyway, this is my best educated guess based on recent history. Inside of Syria the people are under unimaginable brutality and probably long for American intervention. However, its possible that outside of Syria the surrounding Middle East is so anti-American thanks to the Middle East media drumming up anti-western sentiment. What I do not know is what the Middle East media might be saying on the subject. In any event, I think Syrians want us to come to their rescue. Non-Syrian middle Easterners possibly or even likely would see US intervention as imperialism in pursuit of control over Syrian oil.

Last edited:
When I actually read about the Syrian civil war, it is stunning how many different groups, religions, sects, factions and other countries are involved on all sides. But for foreign intrusions there would be no civil war at all. To me, it seems absolutely nuts for the USA to get in the middle of that mess.

Care? Sure, why not? I care about a lot of things.

Intervene on either side's behalf? Absolutely not.

When I actually read about the Syrian civil war, it is stunning how many different groups, religions, sects, factions and other countries are involved on all sides. But for foreign intrusions there would be no civil war at all. To me, it seems absolutely nuts for the USA to get in the middle of that mess.

It wouldn't even be considered if not for the fact that we've allowed oil to have practically zero competition and have allowed those vested in the profitability of the 150 year old internal combustion engine and associated profit centers to suppress the development of other promising options for decades until very recently. What's most shocking to me is tens of millions of people honestly cannot see a connection between oil and our continual entaglement in middle eastern affairs and honestly think "space race" type efforts to free us from the oil monopoly is anti-free market. Meanwhile a collection of brutal dictators coming together to price rig (all, be it theirs of Canada's) oil through artificial supply shortages to soak every American down to their last penny and nearly all oil in the world first sold to scalpers in called the oil futures market that further price gouge every American family aren't anti-free market.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom