• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does Trump really want a wall?

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
We learned recently that the whole idea of building a wall along the border with Mexico was a Roger Stone gimmick. Once Stone saw how Trump’s anti-immigration message was resonating with potential voters, he came up with the idea of a wall along the Mexican border as mnemonic device to keep him on-message with immigration as a primary issue in his campaign.

It worked. He’s still at it. In fact, he shut down a significant portion of the government not as a way to actually get the money to build his wall, but to keep his base satiated. Trump is looking down the dark tunnel of the next two years and all he can see are the dual headlights of Mueller and a Democratic House of Representatives coming straight at him. He’s desperately afraid that if he loses his base of support among Republican voters, he’ll lose the presidency either to the legal jeopardy he faces with Mueller, or the political jeopardy he faces with a congress exercising its power to impeach him.

https://www.salon.com/2019/01/12/trump-doesnt-want-a-wall-all-he-wants-is-an-issue/

As Ezra Klein writes today in Vox:

Presidents who want to get big legislation done amid divided government have to do everything in their power to avoid making that outcome a win for them, and a loss for the other side. It’s an emotionally unsatisfying form of leadership, but if you care more about the policy than the winning, it’s your best bet.

But Trump cares about the winning. So he’s escalated and escalated, focusing the entire country’s attention on the issue, staking his reputation on winning the shutdown fight and the funding for the project. There’s literally no strategy he could’ve chosen that would’ve made Democratic support for the wall less likely.

Of course, if you believe, as I do, that Trump never really wanted the wall — that he just wants a fight that will fire up his base — his strategy has always made perfect sense. But if he does want the wall, or anything else during the next two years of his presidency, he may want to...change his strategy.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/24/18193523/donald-trump-wall-shutdown-congress-polarization-frances-lee

Trump might want to keep brown people out of the country, but a wall isn't going to stop much of that. He more likely wants a wall to keep his base riled up, show he can have his way and dominate the news. With Trump, its not about what he thinks is best for the country, its what he thinks is best for him - and that makes it what's best for the country. His needs become the state's needs.

https://www.salon.com/2019/01/12/trump-doesnt-want-a-wall-all-he-wants-is-an-issue/

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/24/18193523/donald-trump-wall-shutdown-congress-polarization-frances-lee

Trump might want to keep brown people out of the country, but a wall isn't going to stop much of that. He more likely wants a wall to keep his base riled up, show he can have his way and dominate the news. With Trump, its not about what he thinks is best for the country, its what he thinks is best for him - and that makes it what's best for the country. His needs become the state's needs.

If he really wants a wall and wants to win votes from Democrats, he will have to offer the House a deal on amnesty and immigration reform.....without that, he won't get an inch of concrete.

Looks like Salon.com has become a mainstream(MSM) news outlet.

Who knew?:roll:

If he really wants a wall and wants to win votes from Democrats, he will have to offer the House a deal on amnesty and immigration reform.....without that, he won't get an inch of concrete.

Oh, you mean legislative votes from Democrats?

Right, of course. And yes.

For a moment I thought you were suggesting a possibility of Trump winning election votes from Democrats. And of course whatever chance he had of building that kind of movement in his favor, he nuked long ago.

I imagine he is content to not have a wall, but to fight for a wall, with a closed government and all, indefinitely. If he's going to go down, he might as well take the whole country with him. He likes fighting, he likes chaos. Winning would be a bonus.

Probably not, unless he really is as stupid as some say.

If they get their wall, they will be forced to admit that a wall doesn't stop illegals. They want the spectacle of Democrats refusing a wall so they can lead their willing dupes around by the noses.

• As a political lever? Yes.
  • As an implemented component of border security? I suspect he's indifferent about it.

Did Giuliani not say that? Otherwise, what did they get wrong with the actual quote? I understand you disagree with interpretation but if the comment is correct and truthful what problem do you have with it?

Why do people waste time with messages like your's? Pelosi has said she will never agree to $1 for any border barrier - period.

Did Giuliani not say that? Otherwise, what did they get wrong with the actual quote? I understand you disagree with interpretation but if the comment is correct and truthful what problem do you have with it?

Look at where you are on the forum and read the rules for starting threads here.

Look at where you are on the forum and read the rules for starting threads here.

So that's a no, they didn't get anything wrong in the quote. Got it.

I definitely think winning on the issue is much more important to him than the issue itself, regardless of the issue. But honestly, in regard to the wall, I think the same can be said for Nancy at this point.

I definitely think winning on the issue is much more important to him than the issue itself, regardless of the issue. But honestly, in regard to the wall, I think the same can be said for Nancy at this point.

I find it difficult to disagree with her assertion that she would be giving in to extortion if she allowed funding for the wall in this incredibly undemocratic manner.

I get the impression that "mainstream" is any publication that prints anything that Republicans disagree with.

Beyond that, Trump and his wall is a MSM issue.

He doesn't want a wall. But he also doesn't want to be seen as caving in to democrats on a campaign promise that earned him votes from xenophobes. Therefore, the wall is the hill he's chosen to die on. I almost pity the man.

I find it difficult to disagree with her assertion that she would be giving in to extortion if she allowed funding for the wall in this incredibly undemocratic manner.

That is a reasonable way of looking at it. But that supports my claim that it isn’t the issue that is important to her in this case. Not giving into Trump is what is important.

Lmao, what happened to Trump did not really want to win the presidency. Now its he really doesn't really want the wall but he needs the issue so he can be reelected to s position he really does not want. These acts of desperation to try to con people get more pathetic every day

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Moderator's Warning:
Moved from B/N.

Want a wall? Probably no. After all, he never mentioned anything about a wall until November 7. But he needs a wall for a purely political reason.

Want a wall? Probably no. After all, he never mentioned anything about a wall until November 7. But he needs a wall for a purely political reason.

Well, he did mention it all the time on the campaign trail. He must've forgotten when the GOP was in power. Happens to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom