• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does Trump pick supreme court justices based on their take of the second amendment?

Does Trump pick supreme court justices based on their take of the second amendment?

• Yes, abortion. Not for gun rights

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, he picks justices for their gun beliefs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I think Trump picks supreme court nominees based on their Roe vrs Wade beliefs. Abortion, that is.

None of Trump's justices seem to care about gun rights.

There was a case about gun rights that was brought to the Supreme Court, but they all refused to hear it, even the Trump justices voted not to hear it.

Yep. Abortion #1. Then he talks-up gun rights, as an after-effect.

I think Trump picks supreme court nominees based on their Roe vrs Wade beliefs. Abortion, that is.

There was a case about gun rights that was brought to the Supreme Court, but they all refused to hear it, even the Trump justices voted not to hear it.
Mostly abortion, as his fundi supporters care more about that issue than anything else, including democracy.

But, either way, it's just wrong to pick SCOTUS nominees based on their prejudices and not on their ability to see both sides of a question and base decisions on the Constitution, and not on current political pressures.

Abortion is the red meat. He doesn't care about guns but his supporters believe everything he says and it's free to say it, so he says it. I'm just surprised he hasn't started talking about appointing justices to reverse gay marriage.

The religious right, formerly the Democratic bible belt, is his most prominent consideration.

Abortion is the red meat. He doesn't care about guns but his supporters believe everything he says and it's free to say it, so he says it. I'm just surprised he hasn't started talking about appointing justices to reverse gay marriage.
Abortion is the red meat, and we all know Trump doesn’t actually care about it anymore than guns, or anything else. All Trump cares about is Trump.

120198507_10157886531671275_1812455766070650198_n.png

You forgot:
He picks them for their adherence to the Constitution.

Huh? High school girls don't get pregnant and have abortions?
Not to the degree that high school dropouts do, no. Girls who have access to birth control and health care have fewer unwanted pregnancies as well.

Not to the degree that high school dropouts do, no. Girls who have access to birth control and health care have fewer unwanted pregnancies as well.
Medicaid exists for the poor. As do condoms, etc.

Access isn't the question - use is.

Well, yes, it would have to be used to be effective. Birth control reduces teen motherhood and abortions significantly. That's a goal, right?

Trump is told which judges to nominate. He doesn't get into their ideology or their prior decisions. Someone else does that. He is merely provided with a list that was constructed by others who have already vetted the prospective judges.

Trump doesn't know diddly-squat about the US Constitution. Judging from his anti-Second, anti-Fifth, and anti-Fourteenth Amendments rant from the White House, I seriously doubt he has ever read it.

The Supreme Court will refuse to hear cases for a wide variety of reasons. I wouldn't read much into their refusal to hear the case.

Well, that's a good thing, don't you think? You wouldn't want to end Medicaid or outlaw condoms, or would you?
I don't think either is even a remote possibility, if that's what you're asking.

I don't think either is even a remote possibility, if that's what you're asking.
I don't either, and no, that's not the question.

My original premise was that women who are better educated and who have easy access to and knowledge of birth control are less likely to have unwanted pregnancies, and therefore less likely to get abortions.

do you agree, or disagree?

The 2A really is not in any real danger, but several states want to limit or eliminate abortion. That is why that is the focus.

He picks who Mitch McConnell tells him to pick.

I don't either, and no, that's not the question.

My original premise was that women who are better educated and who have easy access to and knowledge of birth control are less likely to have unwanted pregnancies, and therefore less likely to get abortions.

do you agree, or disagree?
As far as I know Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreen's are open to anyone. Grade schools teach kids how to put condoms on bananas, for God sake.

The 2A really is not in any real danger, but several states want to limit or eliminate abortion. That is why that is the focus.
Not in any real danger, unless the Democrats win the Senate, the Presidency and get to replace two aging conservative justices in the next four years.

Current Democratic proposals:

Universal background checks, with no limit on cost to the citizen.
Reduce magazine capacity to 5 rounds - any magazine with gerat than 5 capacity is a high capacity magazine Oregon state bill SB 501
Classify any semiautomatic weapon capable of accepting a "high capacity magazine" as an "assault weapon" - Ohio state bill SB260
Ban "assault weapon"s, ie, all semiautomatic firearms.
Allow manufacturers to be sued for the actions of criminals.
Restrict the number of firearms allowed to be purchased to one per month.
End online sales of firearms, ammunition, kits and gun parts.
Pass red flag laws.
Require licensing to own a firearm, a Constitutionally protected individual right.
Mandatory training to own a firearm, a Constitutionally protected individual right
Prohibit legal personal manufacture of firearms.
Mandatory safe storage of firearms.in violation of DC v Heller.
Register all firearms, even though we can't even arrest a felon for not registering a firearm in their possession.
Limit ammuntion purchases to twice the capacity of any firearm owned per month
Require a background check for all ammunition purchases
Limit ammunition purchases to 20 rounds per month.
Ban silencers, which are legal in the UK, France and the Nordic countries, among others.

Mostly abortion, as his fundi supporters care more about that issue than anything else, including democracy.

But, either way, it's just wrong to pick SCOTUS nominees based on their prejudices and not on their ability to see both sides of a question and base decisions on the Constitution, and not on current political pressures.
It is the left who use peoples ideological beliefs as a litmus test of who can be a judge. Republicans are more prone to elect originalists to the bench.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom