• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does this story bother anyone?

Probably.

I caught the name "Tina Turner" as #1 on the "now trending" searches on yahoo when I went to open my e-mail. I clicked on her name and the first story that popped up was the cbs link. I read the story and didn't know by the end of it if she had married a man or a woman because of the way it was written and the fact that it didn't include a photo.

Just thought it was kind of weird, that's all. Oh well, probably should have just clicked a different link, found out what I wanted to know and moved on.

I just would assume it was a man anyway because I've never known Tina Turner to be a lesbian. Suppose it wouldn't be impossible though.

You read the link in the OP and tell me if she married a man or a woman.

1.) I did read it
2.) why would it matter
3.) i thought Erwin sounded like a man to me just like others said

and most important how does any of that add up to them "purposefully" omitting anything?
like i said just seems like you were digging and totally invented something that isnt there

You read the link in the OP and tell me if she married a man or a woman.

Suppose we live in a time where the gender of those getting married doesn't matter and we just take joy in knowing that two people found someone they can be married to.

Besides, after 27 years, the wedding is just a formality.

1.) I did read it
2.) why would it matter
3.) i thought Erwin sounded like a man to me just like others said
It could matter to the people getting married. Not saying it matters to Tina Turner or her husband. It probably doesn't. But if this is the way of the future, sooner or later it will matter to someone.

The reports I've read refer to the new husband as a "boy-toy."

The reports I've read refer to the new husband as a "boy-toy."
Every one I've read thusfar makes some reference or provides a photo. The link in the OP does not. That's why it stood out as strange to me.

Every one I've read thusfar makes some reference or provides a photo. The link in the OP does not. That's why it stood out as strange to me.

So in other words you are freaking out because you could not figure out that erwin was a man's name and you were about to throw out your director's cut of thunderdome because she might have married a woman. Let us say it is the worst case scenario and that particular article did not indicate it was a heterosexual marriage because they prefer neutral terms. who the hell cares? It is her damned marriage, and if she wants to complain over how it was represented in the news, let her do it. She does not need you to whine and complain for her. I am pretty sure Tina turner is more than capable of vocalizing her feelings. Hell, she might even make a song and dance out of it. I am pretty sure she is not a person who would make a huge issue out of it. She doesn't need you getting offended for her for reasons she would never be offended.

Did i miss something today and every relevant problem in the universe was solved so now we have to worry about referring to partners as partners because some conservative guy on the internet was confused because he thought erwin was a lesbian name?

So in other words you are freaking out...
First of all, even you would be hard pressed to categorize anything I've said in this thread as "freaking out". So save the over dramatic non-sense for the M/Z threads.

because you could not figure out that erwin was a man's name and you were about to throw out your director's cut of thunderdome because she might have married a woman.

Again with the hysterics... save it for M/Z. Yes, I was pretty sure base on the name "Erwin" that it was a man but I have a niece named Arwin. There are many names that are commonly given to both genders and you can't always be sure.

Let us say it is the worst case scenario and that particular article did not indicate it was a heterosexual marriage because they prefer neutral terms. who the hell cares?

I said this before in this thread and I'll say it again. It could matter to the couple. I don't know if it matters to this particular couple or not. It probably doesn't. But if this is the way of the future then you can bet that sooner or later it is going to matter to somebody.

1.)It could matter to the people getting married. Not saying it matters to Tina Turner or her husband. It probably doesn't.
2.)But if this is the way of the future, sooner or later it will matter to someone.

1.) could but again whats that have to do with you?
2.) future? what are you talking about, its an article, what does it have to do with the future?

again sounds like you are inventing a lot from nothing

It doesn't really have any effect on me either way. Boyfriend, long-time partner, main squeeze- they are all just terms for someone that you care about enough to establish a formal and committed relationship.

1.) could but again whats that have to do with you?
2.) future? what are you talking about, its an article, what does it have to do with the future?

again sounds like you are inventing a lot from nothing
What I am talking about is this. Because of gay marriage are wedding announcements and articles written in newspapers, on-line, etc... like the one in the OP going to be written and phrased in such a way as to be gender neutral? Maybe I am making something out of nothing... I honestly don't know. What I do know is that because of the way the story in the OP was written I had to find a different source to find out if Tina Turner married a man or a woman and I wondered out loud if that was deliberate on the part of the author.

What I am talking about is this. Because of gay marriage are wedding announcements and articles written in newspapers, on-line, etc... like the one in the OP going to be written and phrased in such a way as to be gender neutral? Maybe I am making something out of nothing... I honestly don't know. What I do know is that because of the way the story in the OP was written I had to find a different source to find out if Tina Turner married a man or a woman and I wondered out loud if that was deliberate on the part of the author.

The article does not refer to a man in his mid fifties as a boy because of gay marriage?

The article does not refer to a man in his mid fifties as a boy because of gay marriage?
I think you missed the point. The article never referred to him as a man. "Long term partner" was the description. That and a name. No pictures of him, either. 2 pictures of Tina Turner by herself. Funny that if they took the time to add a couple of pictures of Tina Turner they wouldn't take the time to add one of her husband.

Maybe it is nothing. It just seems strange, that's all.

1.) What I am talking about is this. Because of gay marriage are wedding announcements and articles written in newspapers, on-line, etc... like the one in the OP going to be written and phrased in such a way as to be gender neutral?
2.) Maybe I am making something out of nothing... I honestly don't know.
3.) What I do know is that because of the way the story in the OP was written I had to find a different source to find out if Tina Turner married a man or a woman and I wondered out loud if that was deliberate on the part of the author.

1.) i dont see how you come to that conclusion at all, its seems like a HUGE illogical jump
but, say you are right, why does it matter?
2.) yes i think you are
3.) most didnt simply because of the name of her partner :shrug:

IMO i think its weird you wonder about such a meaningless thing

I think you missed the point. The article never referred to him as a man. "Long term partner" was the description. That and a name. No pictures of him, either. 2 pictures of Tina Turner by herself. Funny that if they took the time to add a couple of pictures of Tina Turner they wouldn't take the time to add one of her husband.

You know a lot of women named Erwin, do you?

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that your worst fears are true, and the reporter deliberately phrased the article to be gender neutral.

So what?

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that your worst fears are true, and the reporter deliberately phrased the article to be gender neutral.

So what?
My worst fears have nothing to do with wedding announcements being gender neutral. Over dramatize much?

So you'd feel better if they just dropped in, BTW, it's a man.

Really? This kinda thing bothers some people?

Who's got that much time on their hands that this kind of inane nonsense bothers them?

I used to call my partner of 11 years, my girlfriend. Now I just call her my wife. But, partner would be more apt.

Back
Top Bottom